Hide The Scale

Options
I am a daily weigh in type of person. I like the numbers, I like to log it in my happy scale app, I like the motivation. Except, I have this weird habit sometimes, not always, but about 1/3 of the time. After a drop in weight my brain says “great job, now you get a break for a day”. And I justify it by calling it a cheat meal, diet break, etc. And then it turns into falling off the wagon for weeks. But at the same time I like the scale numbers. And the measuring tape numbers.

Two weeks ago my husband was looking for batteries for the fence tester. He decided to steal the ones out of my scale. I flippantly said that he would not need to bother replacing them because the scaling I a now “on a break”! And miraculously, I am feeling way less stress, stress I did not really know I was feeling, every morning and throughout my day. Food choices are easier, I am not weighing myself or measuring myself but I am finding it easy to do these things with my food. I am kind of amazed because I always thought it was silly to tell people to hide their scale, or stop weighing so often. Lesson learned!

Anoyone else find they are stubborn about some things only to have to eat their words?!

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I was an every day weigh-in guy too, until I started spending a week or two away from home at a time for my new job. Now I can't weight myself every day and have no clue for a week or two where I'm at. It's been kinda nice because I've switched to maintenance so not too focused on losing but want to make sure I'm not gaining (and not losing too much still) but its been liberating not being tied to that thing each morning. It's more about how I feel, how I look, how my clothes fit, etc.

I think some folks are held prisoner by their scales, weighing themselves multiple times a day, freaking out over small fluctuations and temporary stalls.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh every day and usually if I'm *not*, it's because I know my weight will be increasing and I just don't want to see it. Stupid; yep. But the daily weigh in goes right along with being in a stable routine, and eating out of control is never "routine" for me (except in the sense that I'll do it every day for a while).

This was the first winter (I always gain weight in winter rather than any other time of year) I pretty much weighed myself through the weight gain. It was not pleasant, but it wasn't as bad as I might have expected.

Of course, now I'm really glad to step on that scale and see this piece of evidence of continuing effort to be healthier. Mine measures body fat, too, and seeing that go down is da bomb, even more rewarding but harder to come by.