I'm Italian

I am Italian. My mom is a great cook. I grew up on Italian food. As a kid carbs were the thing....after all I am Italian. Pasta is in my blood. Tonight I got home (evening to night) is my weakest time of all food wise. I see her tasty fettuccine. They looked delicious. I RESISTED!!!!!!! I made a very tasty trackable Pizza :) and veggies on the side instead :)

My willpower is getting stronger I can feel it :)

Just had to share :)

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    There is no reason you cannot still enjoy the pasta.
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Oh my goodness! I wish I was Italian because I seriously love Italian food. I would not be able to resist! Good thing I'm the only one in my house who cooks. I would be in so much trouble. I'm jealous!
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member

oh I know....but when it comes to my mother's pasta I can't portion it I totally inhale it....
  • trackmyday1973
    Oh my goodness! I wish I was Italian because I seriously love Italian food. I would not be able to resist! Good thing I'm the only one in my house who cooks. I would be in so much trouble. I'm jealous!

Ya, Italian food is amazing.

I love middle eastern food too (caters to vegetarians a lot) :)
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    I am also Italian but we eat more than pasta. I do love my pasta but I eat so many other things lots of fresh veggies, roasted chicken, Polenta, risotto. I eat what I want and still have lost weight. I just don't eat it all every day. If you love mama's pasta then work out more on a pasta day cut back on other foods because you are not going to do without it for very long. So make it work in your diet. I do watch my portion size because I eat it regularly and don't feel the need to go whole hog on it.
  • trackmyday1973
    I am also Italian but we eat more than pasta. I do love my pasta but I eat so many other things lots of fresh veggies, roasted chicken, Polenta, risotto. I eat what I want and still have lost weight. I just don't eat it all every day. If you love mama's pasta then work out more on a pasta day cut back on other foods because you are not going to do without it for very long. So make it work in your diet. I do watch my portion size because I eat it regularly and don't feel the need to go whole hog on it.

My mother makes many other Italian dishes as well. However, being vegetarian..... I don't eat other things. She does cook for me seperately though.

All I am saying is.... I found it great that I was able to resist..... I don't know.... I guess it's a feeling I can't explain.

Coming home every night eating so much to the point I would not be able to breathe.... and feel like a failure...and now I feel in control....just wanted to share that :)
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Feeling is control is a great feeling. Keep it up!
  • trackmyday1973
    Feeling is control is a great feeling. Keep it up!

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member

Hmmm, pretty sure you don't have to be Italian to cook or eat Italian food :) Haha. I looooovvvvveee Italian food but am glad I don't live with anyone who cooks it often. I put on a heap of weight when I was in Italy.

OP - fantastic work. Getting/being healthy is basically just making more good decisions than bad every day of your life.
  • trackmyday1973

Hmmm, pretty sure you don't have to be Italian to cook or eat Italian food :) Haha. I looooovvvvveee Italian food but am glad I don't live with anyone who cooks it often. I put on a heap of weight when I was in Italy.

OP - fantastic work. Getting/being healthy is basically just making more good decisions than bad every day of your life.

ya living with an Italian Chef (lol that's what I consider my mom) makes it tough to resist :)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Congratulations on your achievement!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I'm not.
  • trackmyday1973
    Congratulations on your achievement!

Mini achievement :)
  • I am Italian. My mom is a great cook. I grew up on Italian food. As a kid carbs were the thing....after all I am Italian. Pasta is in my blood. Tonight I got home (evening to night) is my weakest time of all food wise. I see her tasty fettuccine. They looked delicious. I RESISTED!!!!!!! I made a very tasty trackable Pizza :) and veggies on the side instead :)

My willpower is getting stronger I can feel it :)

Just had to share :)

Congratulations on the willpower !!
  • diannab1
    diannab1 Posts: 6 Member
    I hear ya...I'm Greek married to an Italian..it's pasta AND Baklava at our house.
    Good for you for making a healthier choice. Have you ever tried spaghetti squash?
    it's a squash that when cooked looks like pasta, it's great with meat sauce :)
  • trackmyday1973
    I hear ya...I'm Greek married to an Italian..it's pasta AND Baklava at our house.
    Good for you for making a healthier choice. Have you ever tried spaghetti squash?
    it's a squash that when cooked looks like pasta, it's great with meat sauce :)

I have tried spaghetti squash it is amazing with sauce :) It takes out the taste of the squash.

I use to have it a lot on WW cause squash was zero points :)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member

oh I know....but when it comes to my mother's pasta I can't portion it I totally inhale it....

Everybody has to start somewhere....:smile: Keep going :flowerforyou:
  • trackmyday1973

Everybody has to start somewhere....:smile: Keep going :flowerforyou:

I am working on the habbit part.... I am sure it will get easier with each passing day :)
  • You can take the pasta away from the girl....but, don't take the girl away from the pasta (if she loves it...cause you may loose a finger!) If you can make a trackable pizza...you can also make a trackable pasta dish too... I found a recipe for Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce and it was actually good over veggie noodles. Hey it is worth a shot :) Also by making your own and limiting portion sizes could end up being better than you imagine and you won't feel deprived.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    I still live at home with my African-American mom and Italian dad, so eating is hard. They're kind enough to offer me meals, so I still eat what they cook. I'm very appreciative of that fact.

Unfortunately they make high-calorie, bad for you food. You know, pasta, fried chicken, lasagna...

But I've learned to just cut back on my portions. I never knew how small a proper serving of pasta was!

There's also a huge bonus: less portions at dinner translates to more leftovers!