NOT EATING ENOUGH CALORIES - will this make it harder to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find I am hungrier the day after exercising and find it helpful to look at the weekly view of my calorie intake.
  • ashleyhines8490
    ashleyhines8490 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you AnnPT77. I've been using the app for quite some time now, but haven't actively posted in the community. I'm definitely not here to do anything fast tracked, celebrity endorsed, fad dieting. I want to build a healthy lifestyle over years as I plan to be a mother in the far off future and I can't do that willingly if it means carrying a child in an unhealthy vessel. That's not my only reason but I think it's a darn good one.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options

So here's the thing, no disrespect to you, not aimed at you specifically, but I honestly don't understand how people, who are overweight and had to eat in a caloric surplus to get there in the first place, are all of a sudden full on 1200 cals. My maintenance is 2800 and there are some days I'm STILL HUNGRY eating them all!

It is calories that effect weight, but often it is need for nutrition that drives hunger. They aren't quite the same. I could eat a whole packages of cookies and have enough calories to gain a pound but still be hungry because I need some protein and other macros to meet my nutrition needs. Eating better satisfies nutrition needs with minimum calories.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »

So here's the thing, no disrespect to you, not aimed at you specifically, but I honestly don't understand how people, who are overweight and had to eat in a caloric surplus to get there in the first place, are all of a sudden full on 1200 cals. My maintenance is 2800 and there are some days I'm STILL HUNGRY eating them all!

It is calories that effect weight, but often it is need for nutrition that drives hunger. They aren't quite the same. I could eat a whole packages of cookies and have enough calories to gain a pound but still be hungry because I need some protein and other macros to meet my nutrition needs. Eating better satisfies nutrition needs with minimum calories.
    I can eat boatloads of nutrient-dense food and still be hungry.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm literally only doing this because this is what MFP told me to do....so if I should be doing something different, I have no clue. Maybe this app shouldn't be recommending this as a caloric intake for me if it's so dangerous.....

If you're syncing with the Fitbit, eat all the calories you're given. You've got this!

I don’t necessarily agree with this, because I have a Fitbit, and even on the days when I do no exercise, I can still end up with lots of extra calories for my steps taken- because Fitbit gives calories for steps taken, as well as for exercise.
    I don’t eat back calories burned for steps taken. I do, however, look at what my calorie burn was for any exercise done on my Fitbit, and eat back half of those calories.

I agree with the advice that 1200-ish calories may be too low if you’re doing a fair bit of exercise, and you should look at eating back some calories for any exercise done.

Edit: for improved sense!
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    I'm literally only doing this because this is what MFP told me to do....so if I should be doing something different, I have no clue. Maybe this app shouldn't be recommending this as a caloric intake for me if it's so dangerous.....

If you're syncing with the Fitbit, eat all the calories you're given. You've got this!

I don’t necessarily agree with this, because I have a Fitbit, and even on the days when I do no exercise, I can still end up with lots of extra calories for my steps taken- because Fitbit gives calories for steps taken, as well as for exercise.
    I don’t eat back calories burned for steps taken. I do, however, look at what my calorie burn was for any exercise done on my Fitbit, and eat back half of those calories.

I agree with the advice that 1200-ish calories may be too low if you’re doing a fair bit of exercise, and you should look at eating back some calories for any exercise done.

Then you are underestimating your NEAT.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Yes- but only by about 280 calories- I have MFP set to sedentary, but in reality am lightly active.
    This setting for me, that puts me at a deficit of about 780 calories a day (which at my weight is fine- I have a lot to lose).
    Fitbit can still give me plenty of extra calories just for walking (above the 280 that I’d be getting if I wasn’t set at sedentary), so I don’t eat calories back gained just from doing my daily steps. I wonder about the accuracy of the Fitbit, so don’t eat given calories for steps, only for exercise.

What I do my not be relevant for the OP, because OP stated that she only eats 1200cal per day, and I eat a lot more than that. But I was just stating that I don’t eat calories for steps, for the reasons listed. OP still may want to reconsider her daily cals.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Yes- but only by about 280 calories- I have MFP set to sedentary, but in reality am lightly active.
    This setting for me, that puts me at a deficit of about 780 calories a day (which at my weight is fine- I have a lot to lose).
    Fitbit can still give me plenty of extra calories just for walking (above the 280 that I’d be getting if I wasn’t set at sedentary), so I don’t eat calories back gained just from doing my daily steps. I wonder about the accuracy of the Fitbit, so don’t eat given calories for steps, only for exercise.

What I do my not be relevant for the OP, because OP stated that she only eats 1200cal per day, and I eat a lot more than that. But I was just stating that I don’t eat calories for steps, for the reasons listed. OP still may want to reconsider her daily cals.

I hear that.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    As I'm new to calorie intake and out. My my fitness pal tracker says I should be consuming only 1,220 calories a day for my weightloss goals, and obviously eat more of I'm burning calories. I am getting steps in and working out everyday, so by the end of the day, even after tracking all my food, once my exercise is added....it recalculates and tells me I have hundreds of calories left to eat for the day. If I'm not eating these extra calories.....will my body store fat?

I'm worried if I'm not getting enough calories in, my body will go into survival mode and hold onto the fat I'm trying to burn off and lose. I hope that makes sense....and I'm really new to this so I'm clueless.

No, but under eating does encourage your body to use existing lean muscle mass as fuel. For fat loss, moderate paced weight loss is best.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

On the other hand, I have found through time and consistent tracking that my FitBit underestimates about 200 calories per day for me. The best way to know is to track weight (preferably) using a weight trending app, and consistently log your food (even the days when you just say eff it and eat all the foods). Use that data to get a best guess on your actual TDEE.