NOT EATING ENOUGH CALORIES - will this make it harder to lose weight?

Options
As I'm new to calorie intake and out. My my fitness pal tracker says I should be consuming only 1,220 calories a day for my weightloss goals, and obviously eat more of I'm burning calories. I am getting steps in and working out everyday, so by the end of the day, even after tracking all my food, once my exercise is added....it recalculates and tells me I have hundreds of calories left to eat for the day. If I'm not eating these extra calories.....will my body store fat?

I'm worried if I'm not getting enough calories in, my body will go into survival mode and hold onto the fat I'm trying to burn off and lose. I hope that makes sense....and I'm really new to this so I'm clueless.

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Need more information. How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your goal weight. What is your desired rate of loss? What workouts are you doing?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Survival mode as you are thinking of it is a myth, but there are definitely downsides to not eating enough, which based on the activity level described you are not. MFP is designed for you to eat at least some of those extra exercise calories back. As long as you are measuring your intake accurately with a food scale and know that your measured intake is truly 1220, it's perfectly safe and advised to dip into those extras.

Eating too little can result in other adverse side effects such as vitamin deficiencies, hair loss, constipation, skin issues, fatigue, etc., so eating a MINIMUM of 1200 calories per day AFTER exercise calories is very important to avoid issues associated with under eating.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Generally, the biggest concern with under-eating is not getting the proper nutrients, a sheer lack of energy and your body consuming your muscle mass for fuel. Make sure you are eating enough and getting protein in to help maintain your muscle mass. I would also recommend strength/resistance training to help with that.

As diannethegeek said, you can't be 100% accurate with MFP because calorie burn is an estimate. Eat back a portion of your exercise calories and see what happens after 4 weeks or so. If you are losing too slow, perhaps trim that back some. If you are losing too fast, perhaps eat more of them back.

Basically, you shouldn't be hungry (there is a difference between being hungry and just "wanting to eat") and you shouldn't eat way below your calorie allotment in hopes of pushing along the weight loss.

The best way is to do it is test things out. Go with what MFP tells you to eat and eat 100% (or 75%, or 50%) of your exercise calories as well. After a time, you will know which way you need to adjust.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    No, starvation mode isn't a real thing.

Yes, having too great of a deficit will make losing weight harder, because of lost energy, lost motivation, etc. But if you force your body through that you'll lose weight. Some of that will be fat, some will be muscle, some will be fingernails and hair. But you'll be thinner.

TL;DR-Set an appropriate deficit, track results on a weekly and semi-quarterly(6 week) basis, and adjust accordingly to keep your deficit appropriate and your nutrients and satiety fulfilled.
  • ashleyhines8490
    ashleyhines8490 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes I'm tracking CALORIES using MFP, and tracking steps and CALORIES burned with a fit bit Alta I wear. It really only takes in active time when I'm power walking/jogging or hiking bit not when I'm doing my weight lifting. I've been doing a circuit type of workout AT HOME. I have a retention pond behind my house so I've been circling that for a mile or two with increased heart rate, then follow up with squats, linges, dumbell arm workouts....all sorts of things! I plan on joinging the gym at work now that's it's free for my weight lifting work. I've also been climbing the retention pond hills.

I weighed in at 187.4 Today :(....giving myself 15 months in hopes to get down to around 130ish

I'm eating. Premiere protein shake each morning and keeping lunch and dinners to around 300 calories with snacking on fruits and veggies and I'm not hungry at all! That's why it's hard to take in those extra calories, because I don't feel like I'm hungry
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I'm literally only doing this because this is what MFP told me to do....so if I should be doing something different, I have no clue. Maybe this app shouldn't be recommending this as a caloric intake for me if it's so dangerous.....

If you're syncing with the Fitbit, eat all the calories you're given. You've got this!
  • ashleyhines8490
    ashleyhines8490 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try to get in all the extra ones my fit bit is giving me by eating those healthy nuts, fats and proteins.

Thank you everyone! I'm not in a "rush" to lose weight or trying to do any fad diets. My weight is actually carried all over my body so looking at me, most people wouldn't think I'm over. I'd like to just make a healthy lifestyle moving forward so that I can maintain in the future as im,really loving working out at those stage! So appreciate the feedback!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Are there foods you are hoping to work into your diet after reaching your goal weight?

I am also on 1200 calories per day and sometimes don’t want any more to eat because I have changed my eating style. But other days I want a cookie or piece of birthday cake. And it’s nice to learn how to fit these things into my diet now so that I have an idea how to deal with it after I reach my goal.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to insure you are actually eating the amount of calories you think you are?

Did you set MFP to 2 lbs per week to lose?

How much weight do you have to lose total?

How long have you been tracking your food?