If you can't eat to your calorie goal

Options

Replies

0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Totally can't fathom the whole "I can't meet my 1200 calorie goal" thing... Also, I'm pretty sure you can cause that's kinda what landed you on MFP

Savage! :D
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I've never understood those posts either! More often times than not most aren't weighing their food on a food scale or trying to eat what they view as clean.

I know I can definitely still put away food & during some of my hangry PMS times I am sure I have demolished 5,000 calories easily.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    aek585 wrote: »
    I have switched to a low carb way of eating to help control cravings and hunger. When everything was free for all, yes, I could very easily reach my calorie goal and beyond. It's why I have 25-30 pounds to lose. After lunch sugar cravings were the worst, and I would get chocolate or something sweet to satisfy the sweet tooth. Nothing stuck with me either. I would be starving again 2 hours after a meal.

Since switching to low carb, I honestly can say I have trouble reaching my calories. With sweets/sugar/breads, etc...my trigger foods...off limits to me, I do find most days around 1000 to 1100 calories. I don't have cravings any longer, I am full longer after eating, and I don't reach for food just to eat out of boredom. I only eat when I am hungry. Since switching, I also sleep better and don't hit a wall of tiredness halfway through the afternoon. I'd say all of these are positives.

I didn't switch to low carb but cutting back on carbs at lunch especially bread definitely eliminated the wall of tiredness halfway through the afternoon.

However I could eat peanut butter for every meal and still want more. Then I discovered almond butter, so now I want both. Somehow my spoonfuls always come out heaping
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I find my hormones make my appetite very erratic. I'm perimenopausal and I have days where the idea of eating gives me nausea. Other days, my hormones make me crazy hungry. On the days when I felt nauseous about eating, later in the day I'd be ravenous, so I'd overeat later. That's how I came to need to lose weight. That, and being sedentary at the time. Even now, I struggle some days eating enough calories (but I make sure I do; there's only been one day I came under, because I forgot what time it was and forgot to eat enough), and other days I struggle to come under, because I'm ridiculously hungry. But it seems that the longer I do this, the more my appetite is starting to stabilize.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    2400 cals day would be HEAVEN. my meager 1350 just doesnt cut it most of the time (as far as what/ how much id LIKE to eat) lololol

no one got fat by not eating ENOUGH. Quite the opposite. And USUALLY when people THINK they are full on under .... they are not accurately weighing/logging their food.

And the random day of being under, isnt a big deal. Its when its consistent that its a concern.

its a problem ill never have. lolololol
  • 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I tried keto for a couple weeks, started-out strong, and wound-up starving, not to mention missed eating carbs. I was under-eating at 1650 cals, and since shifted gears to a 40c/40p/20f 2300cal diet, but have fallen short the past5-6 days, and really missing the carb and protein grams.

Doing a bit better today, as I've made it a point to force myself to eat. Hoping it's just an adjustment period, and things will level-out in a week or so.

It doesn't help I'm inactive other than 3x week work-out but plan to add a bicycle to the program soon (sure it would help my knee as well). Hopefully more activity will spark a bit more of an appetite. The heat (mid 90's) isn't helping things either.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    those threads drive me up the wall! Aside from illness,there's absolutely no way an average,full sized adult cannot hit 1,200 calories (which is a torture target!) I still think they're eyeballing portions cuz I've done it before MFP ,id look at a"healthy" sandwich and figure 100 for the turkey,150 for the bread,50 for the cheese,nothing for the lettuce and tomato,sounds good right? Punch in the actual weights of things and that sandwich ends up over 600+!
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I’m in a fb group about menopause and quite a few of us mentioned getting something similar to morning sickness, but not actual vomiting. It was an eye opener, because none of us had heard of it as a symptom, either.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    those threads drive me up the wall! Aside from illness,there's absolutely no way an average,full sized adult cannot hit 1,200 calories (which is a torture target!) I still think they're eyeballing portions cuz I've done it before MFP ,id look at a"healthy" sandwich and figure 100 for the turkey,150 for the bread,50 for the cheese,nothing for the lettuce and tomato,sounds good right? Punch in the actual weights of things and that sandwich ends up over 600+!

i can make a 600+ calorie sandwich in a heartbeat without even THINKING about it :/
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    2400 cals day would be HEAVEN. my meager 1350 just doesnt cut it most of the time (as far as what/ how much id LIKE to eat) lololol

no one got fat by not eating ENOUGH. Quite the opposite. And USUALLY when people THINK they are full on under .... they are not accurately weighing/logging their food.

And the random day of being under, isnt a big deal. Its when its consistent that its a concern.

Seriously!!! I would love to be able to lose weight on 2400cal/day as a base (before exercise). Sadly, I am not 7' tall nor of the weight where my BMR is well above 2400 c/day.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »

Seriously!!! I would love to be able to lose weight on 2400cal/day as a base (before exercise). Sadly, I am not 7' tall nor of the weight where my BMR is well above 2400 c/day.

Hell, me too but that's after exercise. A lot of it. And kinda sorta maintenancy type calories to boot.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »

Hell, me too but that's after exercise. A lot of it. And kinda sorta maintenancy type calories to boot.

my maintenance is around 1600. being short has its downfalls lolololol
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    ^^ Just to clarify - If I didn't give a crap about what I was eating, I'd just go get a whopper or 3 and call it a day. But I'm trying to behave. When I behave I have a hard time.