If you can't eat to your calorie goal

Options

Replies

• PJP19
    PJP19 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that eating keto that it is hard for me to hit the minimum calories of MFP. I am very good about recording what I eat, stay within the guidelines for the plan, but MFP will not post the results for me because of the calories. I'm not hungry, except in the morning when I'm ready for the day...once I get my first meal in, I'm gold. Has anyone else had this experience?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    PJP19 wrote: »
    I'm finding that eating keto that it is hard for me to hit the minimum calories of MFP. I am very good about recording what I eat, stay within the guidelines for the plan, but MFP will not post the results for me because of the calories. I'm not hungry, except in the morning when I'm ready for the day...once I get my first meal in, I'm gold. Has anyone else had this experience?

If it's happening often, figure out how to work more bacon, avocado, etc into your diet.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I took the "eat a cookie" approach for a year or two and even with staying around 1500 calories a day and NOT adding in the calories awarded to me by working out (which I recently found out was bad and will stop doing that) I couldn't lose a darn thing. But I've increased my activity/working out. Trust, the cookies will be added back in at some point LOL. And seriously.... 2-4 cups of broccoli a day is enough! :P
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Totally can't fathom the whole "I can't meet my 1200 calorie goal" thing... Also, I'm pretty sure you can cause that's kinda what landed you on MFP

I could eat a few cookies and TA DA! But those aren't the kind of calories I wish to consume
    Trust, the cookies will be added back in at some point LOL.

???
  • pattyhouse1970
    pattyhouse1970 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have no problems eating my calories...since they are only 1500. I'm typically over the 1500 though. Since MFP adjusts for my exercise and I like to run, I have days where I eat close to 3000. And now I'm training to run a full marathon, I get to eat like that 5 days a week. ;)
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you had that success. I did not. <3 If I didn't have a deficit then I have something medically wrong with me. LOL I was more active during that span then ever in my life.

I'll get it figured out :)
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I lost my appetite once. I was walking around with a burst appendix.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you had that success. I did not. <3 If I didn't have a deficit then I have something medically wrong with me. LOL I was more active during that span then ever in my life.

I'll get it figured out :)

Were you weighing in grams or doing the 1 slice/1 tsp/1 apple thing? That could have been part of it.

Also, how were you estimating your exercise calories and were you eating them back?

I spent a year logging my food and eating exercise calories back but ended up gaining and losing the same pound. (I'm not complaining about that. It's MUCH better than gaining and gaining and gaining a pound which I ended up doing after going off Weight Watchers and turning to calorie counting.) It turned out my replacement fitbit was overestimating exercise calories. I was pointed towards an exercise calorie calculator, used those numbers instead and started losing again.
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What if I don't have time to eat much all day and I'm left with 1400 cals only for the evening? :( I ate already 900 calories in a few hours, I'm totally full and still have 500 cals left, someone could take it... :D
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    That wasn't the direction I thought this thread was going.

I'll fight you for them... I'd gladly eat more!

And wouldn't you earn more activity calories if you were fighting for them? Bonus!!

MFP Fight club

First Rule: You eat all your calories earned in MFP Fight club cage matches.

And they have to be dirty calories. No extra servings of broccoli or plain chicken breast for MFP fight club!

No twinkies left behind.

tenor.gif?itemid=5385235

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I took the "eat a cookie" approach for a year or two and even with staying around 1500 calories a day and NOT adding in the calories awarded to me by working out (which I recently found out was bad and will stop doing that) I couldn't lose a darn thing. But I've increased my activity/working out. Trust, the cookies will be added back in at some point LOL. And seriously.... 2-4 cups of broccoli a day is enough! :P

Do you weigh your food on a food scale?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food on a food scale?
    So much this. "eating around 1500 calories a day" How around? like 1200 or 500 or 2500. These are all around 1500. I'm eating around 2800 calories a day(when I'm logging accurately) which for me means 2650-2950. That includes around 1600 calories(1500-1700) for dinner.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    So much this. "eating around 1500 calories a day" How around? like 1200 or 500 or 2500. These are all around 1500. I'm eating around 2800 calories a day(when I'm logging accurately) which for me means 2650-2950. That includes around 1600 calories(1500-1700) for dinner.

It is funny how some people view weighing food as a hassle but I view it as eliminating a variable which makes my life easier. I just bumped my daily calories 250 to slow my weight loss down a tad because I have confidence in my logging. Like you I know it is around my mark. For instance, I can weigh the ribeye I had for lunch all day but I know it is not 589 calories on the nose. I don't think it is more than 30ish less or 60ish more though.

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Totally can't fathom the whole "I can't meet my 1200 calorie goal" thing... Also, I'm pretty sure you can cause that's kinda what landed you on MFP

I could eat a few cookies and TA DA! But those aren't the kind of calories I wish to consume
    Trust, the cookies will be added back in at some point LOL.

???

I've only been on my new meal plan for roughly a month. I tried for a long time to lose weight simply by using MFP but my calorie goal was higher. If I could fit in a bowl of ice cream or cookies (after my nutrition goals were met) then I would. I lost exactly no lbs in 2-3 years. Measuring, weighing, everything. Played with my thyroid medication, that didn't help.

Since I'm so new to my new meal plan and going to a trainer, I'm not ready to start cheating just yet aside from the occasional beer and a cupcake at my daughter's birthday party :)

If you view cookies and beer as cheating is your ideal weight sustainable? Unless you are doing a large cut, I feel like it should be workable to fit in a small dessert and not count it as cheating. Small being like 70-150 calories. During weightloss you ideally want to build sustainable goals and if you view those things as cheating, I feel like that is not developing a healthiest mindset towards food.
    Portion control is great habit especially for dessert