Is Being Really Lean Really Worth It?

Options
13»

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    yes, its amazing. I love being veiny. Quad veins and back abs ftw!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You have a different definition than I do for lean. *shrugs*

"Not fat" = lean

Well at least you acknowledge that you are making up your own definitions. To the fitness world, I'm pretty sure the standard definition of lean is low body fat with good amount of muscle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    20-30% is average for women, not extreme at all. I would say that over 35% is getting to be too much and less than 15% is getting to be too little. (with a few people on each extreme that carry it well due to their particular bone structure)

no-30% it is what we have now ACCEPTED as average.

30 % is in no way shape or form lean. not in the least.... all it qualifies as is "not fat"- and I am seriously not convined that it is even that.

it is in no way- shape or form- lean. or trim.

"Not fat" = lean

I would agree with Mavd... that's nice you acknowledged you are doing what you want as far as terms.

But I have NEVER been fat.... ever... and I have never considered myself lean... I still don't - and I lost 15 lbs- and have half visible abs.. still wouldn't consider myself lean.

Not fat- does not mean you are lean.

I am lean-er than i was- but I would definitely not consider myself lean.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    20-30% is average for women, not extreme at all. I would say that over 35% is getting to be too much and less than 15% is getting to be too little. (with a few people on each extreme that carry it well due to their particular bone structure)

no-30% it is what we have now ACCEPTED as average.

30 % is in no way shape or form lean. not in the least.... all it qualifies as is "not fat"- and I am seriously not convined that it is even that.

it is in no way- shape or form- lean. or trim.

"Not fat" = lean

I would agree with Mavd... that's nice you acknowledged you are doing what you want as far as terms.

But I have NEVER been fat.... ever... and I have never considered myself lean... I still don't - and I lost 15 lbs- and have half visible abs.. still wouldn't consider myself lean.

Not fat- does not mean you are lean.

I am lean-er than i was- but I would definitely not consider myself lean.

From your pic, you look lean to me. I figure if it isn't fat, then it's lean. That goes for people as well as meats at the butcher. :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    LOL I can see how that simplifies it.

Thank you by the way :) still work to do- but my back is probably my best cut feature LOL. Everything else needs major improvement!!! more cutting.. le-sigh.

But really it isn't so simple- the term skinny fat exists for a reason. Because there are plenty of people out there who are not fat- or may even be considered skinny- but have pretty much zero muscle - when you look at them they look... squishy.

Some people are okay with that. I personally am not... I hate that feeling- I am much happier being "hard" or firm- I would actually take being heavier/bigger and more muscular- over being a smaller- and completely un-muscled version of me. That is just ick- not my thing.

But yeah- in the fitness world there is a definite difference. It isn't right or wrong- it just is. if that makes sense.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    The leaner I have gotten, the better I felt. I was 12% @ 153 lbs at my leanest so far, but didn't really have enough muscle to be aesthetic any lower. Currently around 13-14% @ 159. Ultimate goal is 173-175 lbs @ 8% bf, and I have zero doubt that it will be worth it when I get there.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If the topic is the articles, the "very lean" they're discussing is sub-8% for men and sub-15% for women. AKA getting very close to essential body fat.

If people want to make up random definitions of "very lean", it doesn't really relate to this subject. Falls under the general "do I want to bother with trying to see some abs definition, because I can blood test healthy without that" sort of topic.

Edit: First article really fudges on this concept, and "really lean" ends up as a proxy for anything related to weight loss. Second article has the clarity on actually being very lean.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    LOL I can see how that simplifies it.

Thank you by the way :) still work to do- but my back is probably my best cut feature LOL. Everything else needs major improvement!!! more cutting.. le-sigh.

But really it isn't so simple- the term skinny fat exists for a reason. Because there are plenty of people out there who are not fat- or may even be considered skinny- but have pretty much zero muscle - when you look at them they look... squishy.

Some people are okay with that. I personally am not... I hate that feeling- I am much happier being "hard" or firm- I would actually take being heavier/bigger and more muscular- over being a smaller- and completely un-muscled version of me. That is just ick- not my thing.

But yeah- in the fitness world there is a definite difference. It isn't right or wrong- it just is. if that makes sense.

Yes, that makes sense. I know there are quite a few things said in the fitness world that wouldn't fly outside of the gym. :laugh:

And there are just as many fitness terms that I accidentally mention to my husband or a friend and they are like WTH did are you talking about! :tongue:
  • JoRocka
    Options

Yes, that makes sense. I know there are quite a few things said in the fitness world that wouldn't fly outside of the gym. :laugh:

And there are just as many fitness terms that I accidentally mention to my husband or a friend and they are like WTH did are you talking about! :tongue:

yeah boyfriend dearest is like- why do you even do that... I'm like...

<looks at me>
    looks at him

<looks at me>
    looks at him

give him the strong side eye like why do you think- because I look amazing and you still don't. He doesn't appreciate my brand of "helpful"

no worries- I have fitness friends for that- if he asks questions for real I help as best I can- but his sarcastic tone about "why would you ever want to do that" isn't appreciated and I make it very clear I look amazing and he doesn't.... I'm a 'itach I know.

:D

lol ah yes- le fitness world- it's a special place for sure. LMAO