Why are so few people aware of this?

Options

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Love the stuff. I eat so much of it that I buy the huge one from Costco :tongue:
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Found the recipie (I hope, same poster, so unless it's been modified since):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/461619-ny-cheesecake-morph?page=7

Third post from the bottom

your quick, thanks
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I could see that a person would know nothing about cocoa powder, if that person didn't grow up in a house with a person who baked things from scratch and also teach you how to bake. Lucky for me, my mom baked a lot. Unlucky for me, before I learned to bake I learned the hard way you can't eat the stuff plain. Kinda like flour, or cinnamon, this is only meant to be used as an ingredient and not a stand-alone snack. In fact, I would suspect trying to eat a spoon of this by itself would produce a result similar to the "cinnamon challenge" (google if you don't know what THAT is ;)

In my house it was always Hershey's, but back in those days we didn't have Whole Foods or Amazon so you got what you got at the Winn-Dixie. I only recently bought my first container of Dutch Process cocoa powder for the improved taste and texture. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I shortly thereafter joined MFP and my baking came to mostly a halt. I use the powder primarily in my protein shakes.

All this talk of cheesecake, though...:bigsmile:
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I do a chocolate banana overnight oats using cocoa powder.
    The recipe calls for sweetener but the banana makes it sweet enough for me (your mileage may vary).
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Will have to look into it. Thank you.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I put this in oatmeal and it was awful... what did I do wrong? :S

SUGAR of some sort...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use it when making chocolate cake

:drinker:

OP, I thought everyone knew about cocoa powder! I have been using it since I was a kid. :smokin:
  • Melissa_mojo
    Melissa_mojo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    leh3L6d.jpg

This stuff is heavenly; 1 serving (1tbsp)= 10 calories; 3g carbs, .5g fat, 1g protein, and 2g of fiber

Mix it in oatmeal and you have chocolate oatmeal
    Mix it in protein shakes for chocolate flavor
    Use it for protein cake or other homemade protein recipes
    Use it for homemade cookies, pancakes, etc.

Use it in just about anything

Carries micronutrients as well. Here's an article about benefits of unsweetened cocoa if you care: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-unsweetened-cocoa-powder-5662.html

Just thought I'd make you aware if you weren't. Go pick this up on your next grocery run and you'll thank me

Oh my off to the grocery store I go!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I always thought this was a staple in amyone's kitchen as my parents and both grandmothers always had it. TIL. I bought some once but never used it, so it turned into a nice, solid rock of chocolate yuck.
  • Butterflykisses123
    Butterflykisses123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Unlucky for me, before I learned to bake I learned the hard way you can't eat the stuff plain.

This. 100%. My mom still loves to tell the story of 6 year old me and my 4 year old brother thinking we had hit it big...and the ensuing chocolate powder mess as we learned otherwise.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I put it in smoothies sometimes. I bake a lot so I'm very aware of it. But cocoa powder is very bitter, so only use it in things that are already sweetened (try adding it to brown sugar oatmeal!) or add some sweetener yourself.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    leh3L6d.jpg

This stuff is heavenly; 1 serving (1tbsp)= 10 calories; 3g carbs, .5g fat, 1g protein, and 2g of fiber

Mix it in oatmeal and you have chocolate oatmeal
    Mix it in protein shakes for chocolate flavor
    Use it for protein cake or other homemade protein recipes
    Use it for homemade cookies, pancakes, etc.

Use it in just about anything

Carries micronutrients as well. Here's an article about benefits of unsweetened cocoa if you care: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-unsweetened-cocoa-powder-5662.html

Just thought I'd make you aware if you weren't. Go pick this up on your next grocery run and you'll thank me

I am very aware brah, that and all natty stevia
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Thought it was gonna be some sort of health fact. Well... I'm wary of powdered products (added sugar, enzymes, etc), but I will definitely be buying some 75%+ dark chocolate when I go to the store next time. :)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yum!! I didnt know about this. I dont usually buy powder until the holidays when I bake a lot, so I will remember this for then!!
  • KaseyLaw9
    KaseyLaw9 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use it to make chocolate peanut butter cheesecake that has around 30 grams of protein per serving and less than 350 calories in each slice with lower fat and moderate carb content. Tastes awesome!

What's your recipe? I love cheesecake.
  • UNLESS19
    UNLESS19 Posts: 118
    Options
    i wish we had this in the UK :( haha I'll have to look around for an alternative!
    thanks for sharing though :)
    <3
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I add this stuff to my vanilla Greek yogurt to get a whipped mousse kind of dessert. Yum.

And that reminds me. I need to stock up on vanilla Greek yogurt tonight...
  • skinnygal05
    skinnygal05 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    lol NICE! I do see this in a lot of protein recipes. It's a good coffee mixer too. Thanks for posting.
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My grandmother used to make the worlds richest fudge with this, the old fashioned way, with a candy thermometer and skill. Not lo cal, but worth it. Loved reading all the great ways to use it.