Where do I start with lifting?

Options
Ok, there may already be a thread on this but where you one start with strength training? I know all about cardio, I've gotten back into that no problem. I just don't know what to do about toning? I used to feel like cardio was enough but I don't feel that any more. I know about crunches and square but that's about it. There's a million different weight machines at my gym, then there's the weight room that has all guys. What's a girl to do? I don't like feel stupid trying a machine in front of a bunch of people.

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    They have introductory crash courses at any gym.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

And usually you end up paying for a PT if you're new to it, wasting your time and money because anything you learn from a PT in a gym is trash.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Good beginner programs to look into and at least get an idea on concepts, workouts, etc are Starting Strength, Stronglifts, Wendler, and AllPros.

ETA: Also, who cares what people might think. If you want it, go do it! :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Good beginner programs to look into and at least get an idea on concepts, workouts, etc are Starting Strength, Stronglifts, Wendler, and AllPros.

^ This.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

+1
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Look into compound lifts and learn proper form and then build a routine around them...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

And usually you end up paying for a PT if you're new to it, wasting your time and money because anything you learn from a PT in a gym is trash.

You should have seen the crazy azz shizz the PT at my gym had me doing a couple of months ago! I signed up for a free evaluation, just to see what it would be like. The guy asked me what I had been doing in the gym, so I told him Wendler's 5/3/1 and even gave him my stats (1RM, current working set weight, etc) for bench press, deadlift, shoulder press, and squats. He listened intently and then had me stand on a Bosu ball doing 5 pound curls and lateral raises...

Pathetic as hell. Good thing I didn't waste my money before getting that free session which was a complete waste of my time anyway.

At any rate, I agree with Joy_Joy's response above for a good place to start.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I say look into workout programs (I really liked New Rules of Lifting for Women) and also an introductory session with a trainer or whatever your gym offers. When I first started using machines I took a 6 week class for women on weights. It definitely gave me confidence that at least I knew how to position myself and move.

Machines have instructions on them, as well, so if you go during a dead time you should be able to read them at your leisure.

ETA: Remember, no one (ok, no one that I know of) was born in a gym. Everyone had to walk in at some point not knowing what the heck they were doing. Everyone there knows exactly what it's like.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

You should have seen the crazy azz shizz the PT at my gym had me doing a couple of months ago! I signed up for a free evaluation, just to see what it would be like. The guy asked me what I had been doing in the gym, so I told him Wendler's 5/3/1 and even gave him my stats (1RM, current working set weight, etc) for bench press, deadlift, shoulder press, and squats. He listened intently and then had me stand on a Bosu ball doing 5 pound curls and lateral raises...

Pathetic as hell. Good thing I didn't waste my money before getting that free session which was a complete waste of my time anyway.

LOL I see some of the trainers at my gym doing that bosu ball crap with people and I just internally shake my head...

what is with the aversion to squats, deadlifts, etc..???
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Hahahaha :---D
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

this, except I'd save Wendler's for later
  • cinnabear22
    cinnabear22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys. I hadn't thought of looking into places like that. I looked up weight lifting on YouTube and got some crazy suggestions, lol. I'm definitely not doing any dead lifting just yet. I was trying to watch a few people of the weight machines today but then I thought they might think I was staring them down! Ive been going at 5pm, that's when the childcare is open and there are lines (very short, but lines) at the machines. Some people sit on them and rest in-between and others get off in between reps.I'm not sure what proper gym procedure is? It seems rude to sit on the machine and rest while others are waiting, is it not?
  • MamaDuckN2MamaWow
    MamaDuckN2MamaWow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    First, before you try any machines, decide what you really want to do - are you toning your legs, your back, your legs, a combination? Once you've done that, seek out the style/type of machine you will need to use - most machines at the gym have graphics showing which muscles they utilize. You won't look stupid by reading the machines and being careful. Any machine is all about form - if you are unsure about the proper form (so you don't injure yourself) - just ask somebody, whether it be a trainer or someone who is already using the machine. Then, after you know how to use the machine - you need to do a max lift test - a max lift test is basically what is the most amount of weight you can lift only once. Once you have found that out, divide that amount by 2. That's generally where you need to start to give yourself adequate resistance. No sense in using a machine if you aren't really challenging yourself. If half of your max still seems too much, drop 5 or 10 lbs below until you find a comfortable weight. Start with 1 or 2 sets of 10-20 reps and work your way up - if it gets to be too easy even after 40 reps, try moving your weight up 5 or 10 lbs so you continue to challenge yourself. This is everything I learned by taking a college fitness class, but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)
  • cinnabear22
    cinnabear22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would really like to target my abs, and legs. Now with that said how many different machines should I use? There's so many! Do I just choose a few? Or do all of them? I have so many questions, lol. I understand the max test, that makes a lot of sense actually.should I be able to all the machines at that level? It seems like if you tire yourself out on one leg machine then the next leg machine would be harder..?
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    Please stop using the word "tone" and any variation of it. There is no such thing as "toning." There is only losing bodyfat and seeing muscle mass due to having lower bodyfat levels.

Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting or All Pros are great places to start. Stick with free weights and compound lifts. Dedicate time to getting form down at first. After that, lift HEAVY and push yourself. You won't get the results you want lifting weights lighter than your purse.

Here's some motivation:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976497-women-heavy-lifting-free-weights-16-month-progress
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    I feel like I need to add that there's no such thing as spot reducing fat, which seems to go hand-in-hand with the toning myth. "Targetting" certain muscle groups is great, but you're not going to see any difference in "tone" without losing bodyfat... which will come off wherever it wants.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of strength training programs, but the simplest ones revolve around just a small number of barbell compound lifts. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, rows, lat pulldowns. These 5 lifts will be the core of your strength work for the rest of your life, so even if you don't learn them now, you want to learn them soon.

You can do strength training with machines or dumbbells or body weight or rubber bands or suspension straps, but you'll have to do more exercises and you'll spend more time in the gym. Barbells are easy, simple, and will work no matter how strong you get.

The way to start a strength program is to learn how to do the core lifts. You start light, use 15-20 reps so you're getting a lot of practice, and do all the lifts until your form is good. Then dive into one of the beginner strength programs: Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I can tell you from experience that starting out on machines is a great way to get injured. Instead, learn to do big compound free weight lifts with proper form (squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, etc.)

Look into Starting Strength, 5/3/1, Stronglifts or any of the other free weight programs people have already mentioned in this thread. Don't be intimidated by not knowing — everyone has to start somewhere!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I would really like to target my abs, and legs. Now with that said how many different machines should I use? There's so many! Do I just choose a few? Or do all of them? I have so many questions, lol. I understand the max test, that makes a lot of sense actually.should I be able to all the machines at that level? It seems like if you tire yourself out on one leg machine then the next leg machine would be harder..?

Squat, squat, squat.