Where do I start with lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I would really like to target my abs, and legs. Now with that said how many different machines should I use? There's so many! Do I just choose a few? Or do all of them? I have so many questions, lol. I understand the max test, that makes a lot of sense actually.should I be able to all the machines at that level? It seems like if you tire yourself out on one leg machine then the next leg machine would be harder..?

Squat, squat, squat.

Deadlift, deadlift, deadlift too :laugh: Both great for your *kitten*, legs and abs, you need a good core for all strength work!
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I say start with StrongLifts, it's a great programme as other have said, and in defence of PT's some are pretty good. Mine put me on a couple of weeks of basic grounding moves to build some stability in my weak body (press-ups, good TRX session, etc) with the plan to put me on StrongLifts after that. 2 weeks later he took me through SL teaching me form of all the lifts and the basic principal of SL (plus pointing me at the SL website for future). So 2 sessions, 1 was free and I'm on my way.
  • Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    They have introductory crash courses at any gym.

And usually you end up paying for a PT if you're new to it, wasting your time and money because anything you learn from a PT in a gym is trash.

You should have seen the crazy azz shizz the PT at my gym had me doing a couple of months ago! I signed up for a free evaluation, just to see what it would be like. The guy asked me what I had been doing in the gym, so I told him Wendler's 5/3/1 and even gave him my stats (1RM, current working set weight, etc) for bench press, deadlift, shoulder press, and squats. He listened intently and then had me stand on a Bosu ball doing 5 pound curls and lateral raises...

Pathetic as hell. Good thing I didn't waste my money before getting that free session which was a complete waste of my time anyway.

At any rate, I agree with Joy_Joy's response above for a good place to start.

LOL...wow what a loser!
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    They have introductory crash courses at any gym.

And usually you end up paying for a PT if you're new to it, wasting your time and money because anything you learn from a PT in a gym is trash.

You should have seen the crazy azz shizz the PT at my gym had me doing a couple of months ago! I signed up for a free evaluation, just to see what it would be like. The guy asked me what I had been doing in the gym, so I told him Wendler's 5/3/1 and even gave him my stats (1RM, current working set weight, etc) for bench press, deadlift, shoulder press, and squats. He listened intently and then had me stand on a Bosu ball doing 5 pound curls and lateral raises...

Pathetic as hell. Good thing I didn't waste my money before getting that free session which was a complete waste of my time anyway.

At any rate, I agree with Joy_Joy's response above for a good place to start.

LOL I see some of the trainers at my gym doing that bosu ball crap with people and I just internally shake my head...

what is with the aversion to squats, deadlifts, etc..???
  • fatboyruss
    fatboyruss Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would still explore the personal trainer - don't be afraid to ask about their qualifications, and avoid those that have only done 6 week courses etc. It's true that there are mixed experiences out there, but you will increase your chances of success with someone who can properly assess your goals and set an appropriate course for you to follow (and keep you honest!!). You will also reduce your chances of injury. I've been going to gyms on and off now for about 15 years, and still book in with trainers every now and then (for a month or two) to ensure I haven't developed bad lifting habits etc. (now I've unmanned myself because every bloke in this world instinctively knows how to lift weights don't they?)
    As for proper procedures at the gym, if someone is resting on a machine, its perfectly ok to ask if you can work in with them - they do one set, you do one.
  • She_Hulk
    Options
    A few weeks ago I asked one of the trainers at my gym to help me perform a deadlift properly (I've never done one), and he actually shook his head and told me that I didn't need to do that. Led me over to a few machines and told me to stick with those. Didn't think much of it at the time (other than being really disappointed) but now I'm kinda mad. Who is he to tell me what I can and cannot do?!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I asked one of the trainers at my gym to help me perform a deadlift properly (I've never done one), and he actually shook his head and told me that I didn't need to do that. Led me over to a few machines and told me to stick with those. Didn't think much of it at the time (other than being really disappointed) but now I'm kinda mad. Who is he to tell me what I can and cannot do?!

that sucks....I would youtube some videos and watch those and then start out real light weight and progress from there..or see if there is a different trainer at your gym that will show you ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    actually, now that I think about it I do not think I have ever seen a trainer at my gym have one of their trainees in the power rack doing squats or deads....weird...
  • She_Hulk
    Options
    I know. There is only one trainer (Bryce) that I see with his clients in the free weights area. I've never seen any of the others go in there. Ever. Granted, I go in the mornings so maybe the afternoon or evening trainers do. However, now that you mentioned it, I have never seen Bryce do deadlifts or squats with his clients either. I'm mad because I really want to learn to do this. I'm gonna check into some of the books mentioned and, like you said, look into some youtube videos. It just sucks because the trainers are right there...they could easily just show me. I don't know what they have against that stuff either.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I know. There is only one trainer (Bryce) that I see with his clients in the free weights area. I've never seen any of the others go in there. Ever. Granted, I go in the mornings so maybe the afternoon or evening trainers do. However, now that you mentioned it, I have never seen Bryce do deadlifts or squats with his clients either. I'm mad because I really want to learn to do this. I'm gonna check into some of the books mentioned and, like you said, look into some youtube videos. It just sucks because the trainers are right there...they could easily just show me. I don't know what they have against that stuff either.

They probably don't know enough to properly educate a beginner, like myself, on correct form. It's easier to show someone to a machine and tell them to read the instruction there.
  • ladylazarus
    Options
    I would look into either Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5. They're both geared towards beginners, regardless of age or gender. You focus on the five big compound moves, which keeps your routine nice and simple.

Starting Strength: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
    StrongLifts: http://stronglifts.com/

Good luck! Lifting weights is extremely satisfying.
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I was about to post this same question.
    Thanks for the references.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to add that there's no such thing as spot reducing fat, which seems to go hand-in-hand with the toning myth. "Targetting" certain muscle groups is great, but you're not going to see any difference in "tone" without losing bodyfat... which will come off wherever it wants.

Yes, let's just tell the OP our pet peeves instead of offering suggestions....

OP, I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women as a starting point. Even if you choose a different lifting program, the book is full of great information that can't be found in a YouTube video. I borrowed it from my local library and learned a great deal. He has a whole section on muscle tone, btw. :flowerforyou: