Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How does the body fuel itself?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Here's my analogy:

You have a car that's engineered and built to run on premium gasoline.

There's a gas shortage, and the only thing available at the pumps is the cheap crap, so you switch to that instead.

Will your car run?

Of course it will.

Will it run at peak efficiency and performance?

Not a chance.

Do you have scientific evidence that the brain operates less optimally on a fuel mixture of glucose, ketones and lactate, or are you just stating opinion?

Not scientific evidence, but I note that the arguments posed by the keto-evangelists are distinctly lacking in rationale and objective evidence.

Commonplace where one allows agenda to drive the process.

The argument that the brain is NOT Exclusively fuelled by glucose has been supported by evidence.

no evidence has been given put forward that the brain is exclusively fuelled by glucose has been put forward or that the brain operates in a less than optimal capacity if it is not exclusively fuelled by glucose.

The statement that started this particular discussion about glucose being the only fuel the brain can use is false and misleading.

I believe it was thr preffered source of fuel from the brain was glucose over ketones, since ketones only are used as fuel when deprived of glucose.

Yep that’s my understanding of how the brain is fuelled also, that if glucose is readily available it is the preferred option.

I am also of the understanding that when glucose is restricted that the brain will function just as optimally on a mixture of ketones, glucose and lactate.

Also that even when glucose is in ample supply the brain will also draw upon lactate for fuel when the body is undertaking vigorous exercise.

All of the above is very different factually from the brain only being able to use glucose for fuel - wouldn’t you agree?

It is. Which is why nobody made that assertion in the first place.

“The brain is fueled exclusively by glucose.”

Page one. Maybe you just hadn’t scrolled back that far?

Selective quote is selective
    "Glucose is virtually the sole fuel for the human brain, except during prolonged starvation. The brain lacks fuel stores and hence requires a continuous supply of glucose. It consumes about 120 g daily, which corresponds to an energy input of about 420 kcal (1760 kJ), accounting for some 60% of the utilization of glucose by the whole body in the resting state...

...Fatty acids do not serve as fuel for the brain, because they are bound to albumin in plasma and so do not traverse the blood-brain barrier. In starvation, ketone bodies generated by the liver partly replace glucose as fuel for the brain."[/i]

You must have missed the part about alternate fuel sources in the absence of glucose.

Great so we are all in agreement then that statement that the brain exclusively uses glucose for fuel is false?

Because so far there’s been lots of deflecting from answering this question. :wink:

It's just as false as there being many low carb and keto athletes that thrive, while considering the population of athletes. That being, that might be one or two in a population of thousands of professional athletes. :p

Another great deflection. I hope your day job is in politics :wink:

It kind of is. But it's also recognizing that both sides make wild accusations. Both of which should concede some of their non valid points. The data on keto and sports shows significant variations in individual performance. So yes, while there are a few that can thrive on low carb or keto while playing some sports, it certainly isn't the major like those who carb load. Preferentially, athletes can benefit from training carb load and have periods of training with lower carbs. No different than one should lift and do cardio.

The data for LCHF really does show significant variations, it shows decreases in performance for high intensity athletes and an increase in performance for endurance athletes.

Do you have the studies? Were they on trained or untrained individuals? Did you compare individual performance or just the mean values? Or did you read it and take the interpretation at face value?

Here is one of the latest meta analyses on ketogenic performance.

https://sci-fit.net/ketogenic-diet-fat-muscle-performance/

The interesting quote is the 'growing popularity with endurance athletes'. Who knows they might be close enough soon to the figure we can refer to as many? Not sure anyone will ever defy the laws of physiology enough that we can start using the term 'exclusive' :wink:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29108901

All of the endurance athletes I've read about doing keto are not doing keto full time...they do keto for certain parts of their training protocol, just as they do some fasted training...they still carb load before races.

Exactly. From what I understand, having keto as part of their training protocol can extend the period of time before an endurance athlete "hits the wall".
This discussion has been closed.