Why didn’t I lose weight?

Options
I met my calorie and macro goals. I exercised 6 times this week. Is weight loss and exact science of calories in calories out?

Is there a thread that explains why my body didn’t react the way I expected?

Replies

• rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Not only are there lots of threads on the topic, there’s also a flowchart (which I unfortunately don’t have handy). Basically, weight loss isn’t linear. One week isnt long enough to see any change due to all sorts of issues (mostly centered around water retention). If you give it a month and see zero results, you’re either overestimating calories out or underestimating calories in. Adjust as required.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    There are so many threads. So many.

How long have you been at this? How are you measuring your calorie intake and output? Are you weighing all solid foods? Are you eating back your exercise calories, and if so, how much?

Weigh your solids, measure your liquids. Eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. Weigh under the exact same conditions every time, however often you choose. I like daily, naked before my shower, after I've used the restroom, before I've eaten, and I use a trend weight app. If you like once a week or month, that's great. But do it at the same time, wearing the same clothes, same scale in the exact same spot.

Do that for 4-6 weeks, and evaluate your progress.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    pikj1snagfp4.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If the exercise is new or an increased amount, you are likely retaining extra water from that. It's an important physiological response to exercise, but masks weight loss. Keep at it. You won't lose weight every single week. There are several reasons for this. Exercise is just one.

Did you eat the given exercise calories? If yes, all of them or a portion? How did you get the estimate for exercise calories (MFP or activity tracker)? Have you been accurate with your food log? Did you check to make sure the entries you used are accurate?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Give the process time to be the process 4-6 weeks at a minimum, Although since your profile pic suggests you might be male, 3 weeks may be long enough.

Bottom line is that 1 week isn't enough, and 6 months is too long. 1-3 months is how long you need to give a new program or set of programs time to show an impact.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. On a 1lb per week deficit, you can lose 4lbs in one week, then nothing for 3. It's mainly water retention fluctuations, but, tracking over time you will average 1lb per week loss.
  • ptiteacadienne
    ptiteacadienne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This was very helpful information. helps to keep me motivated. glad I clicked.
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? I haven't been losing much weight, but I have been losing something. My pants fit looser and multiple people (ok 2 but still) have mentioned that I had lost weight unprompted.
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    shunggie wrote: »
    Have you measured yourself? I haven't been losing much weight, but I have been losing something. My pants fit looser and multiple people (ok 2 but still) have mentioned that I had lost weight unprompted.
    I had a talk with a fitness coach. He said your weight is going to fluctuate over time. The key is body fat loss. This is why measurements and a body mass tool is better than a scale.