Which is the best option?

Options
Hi everyone I was just wondering everyone's opinion on what may be the best option for me. My starting weight on mfp is 262. My goal weight is 150 so I was wondering would it be best to get down to maybe 200-190 and maintain for a year or so to give my skin time to catch up, and then lose the additional 40lbs or should I lose down to my goal weight and then maintain?

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I would set the smaller goal of getting to 200lbs and when you get there decide what to do next. If you are feeling motivated and positive about your body, keep going. If you are ready for a break, take a break.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I will second the idea of having an intermediate goal. Not because of your skin but because you may want (and certainly will deserve) a break. There's absolutely nothing wrong with not doing it all in one fell swoop.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I was just wondering everyone's opinion on what may be the best option for me. My starting weight on mfp is 262. My goal weight is 150 so I was wondering would it be best to get down to maybe 200-190 and maintain for a year or so to give my skin time to catch up, and then lose the additional 40 lbs or should I lose down to my goal weight and then maintain?

Reactively at seeing your goals, recommend you consider a revision when your weight has settled around 178 lbs, before you continue with your last lap of efforts towards your goal weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    At one point I took a year off, too. I highly encourage it. You learn a lot about maintenance, a lot more than the occasional couple of weeks break. You get to learn how to deal with portion creep, how to handle lack of scale progress, how to handle accepting that you'll occasionally be hungry while maintaining and that it's alright...etc. For me, it was the best thing I ever did for my weight loss, followed by the time I gained weight and learned a lot about what not to do.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you are very disciplined, you can safely take a year off, but often times that year off turns into a slow creep back up in weight with the excuse that you are taking the year off, and before you know it you are back where you started. For that reason alone, i think just get to your goal and then maintain there where you want to be, and if you have a slow creep you can reel yourself back in right away, and at your goal weight you are just living your new lifestyle . And you will feel so good and be so happy at your goal weight, why wait?
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have a goal about 1/2 way to my ultimate goal weight, to remind me to enjoy my progress and experiment with what it is like to eat at maintenance. That maintenance point, of course, will be 200-300 calories higher than my true maintenance, but I think taking 2 weeks to a month at that point will be a good idea. It also coincides with my 60th birthday, so another reason to celebrate :)