Appetite suppressants?

Options
I was wondering if anybody takes appetite suppressant pills and if they work, and what kind.

I was thinking about buying some, like Dexatrim or whatever because I start to crave food in the evening.
Thanx for any info.

Replies

• S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    Sorry, I don't have any info on appetite suppressant. However, I am like you where I crave food at night and what I do, is that I leave me enough calories from during the day that I can snack on them at night. Maybe you should consider that, too. Would definitely be much healthier......
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Do you plan on taking appetite suppressants for the rest of your life? If so, go ahead. If not, you shouldn't
  • MrsRLD
    MrsRLD Posts: 25
    Options
    Good Afternoon,
    I have taken Dexatrim as well as prescription appetite suppresants without much luck. Hopefully someone else has some good advice on this one.
    Have a fabulous day,
    Shannon
  • hamiltons413
    Options
    Unfortunately I haven't found any that really work. I've tried several including Dexatrim, matter of fact I have them in my purse right now. And they don't work at all. Or not that I've found anyway. The only thing that I've found that works for me is a couple of tablespoons of a reduced calorie peanut butter or a hand full of almonds. Another thing that works for late night cravings is to eat a bowl of Kashi Go Lean cereal w/Non Fat milk. It's high in Fiber and Protein and Low Fat and it helps you feel full. It's not bad either. Sorry I couldn't answer your immediate question but hopefully I gave you a few alternatives.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I would suggest adding more fiber to your diet so you stay full longer. Or you could also eat smaller meals more often. And make sure that you are drinking plenty of water.
    You don't want to take pills! So not good for your body!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    I dont recommend them unless you plan to stay on them....with most diet or appetite suppressors, once you get off, you gain weight back....the best thing to do is find an eating habit that works for you and stick with it...the cravings are hard to deal with but there are ways to get them under control
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Chromium Picolinate, I tried it for a while back and it works BUT GOOGLE to get more information about this product. You can find it at GNC for about $5.00 dollars.

If that does not work by all means add veggies to your meals you will find you are not hungry much after eating a plate full of veggies! Good Luck!
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I took SlimQuick along with a low fat low chelosterol diet. I lost 28lbs in 3 months. I got off the pills, just because I figured I could do it on my own. I haven't gained any of the weight back as you can see.
    I look at them as just another tool, some people need a little extra help, I know I did. Had I not lost that weight when I did, I would have just given in to the doctor and ended up on meds.
  • katrinawells
    Options
    I am taking Phentamine perscribed by a GP at my local slimming centre. I have PCOS so shifting weight is hard. I did make a deal with myself though, that I was only allowed to take them if I exercised as well to help get my metobolic rate going...and so far so good. I thik you just need to be aware not to depend on them and realise that when you stop taking them you need to do it gradually and take care not to pile the pinds back on.

Maybe try staving off the cravings in another way and if that doesn't work take some herbal ones or something organic. Mind don't have many side effects apart from staying awake longer, but then the chemical mix is equivelent to the drug 'speed' so it stands to reason I would be awake a lot more.

Shop around and consdier it carfully - try popcorn as a good craving snack - its quite low cal and lasts a long time!

Good Luck
  • Alexandra888
    Options
    A great appetite suppressant that isnt a pill, even tho i know its a horrible way to lose weight (so nobody give me crap about it, i do things my own way) is drinking tons of water and any other non-caloric liquid and... smoking. I just started about 1 week and a half ago and i have been eating so much less. I love it. Everyone else, do whatever you wanna do to lose your fat.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Green tea is a natural appetite suppressant.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    ok so i wont give you any crap for the "smoking" but i dont recommend to encourage others to do so...I'm sorry, smoking leads to cancer, skin problems, lung problems, breathing problems etc.....we are a non-smoke house and my kids went to my moms for 2 weeks and she is a train smoker....when they came back, my baby girl had to go to the dr because it had clogged up her system being around it...anything, including food, that can kill you, is not good for you.....
  • Duganhorse
    Duganhorse Posts: 55
    Options
    Popcorn is a great snack. I get hungry at night too. I try to keep a few calories for an evening snack. i like cheese sticks, popcorn, cheese and crackers. All pretty low calorie and very satisfying. I agree with everyone on the pills. They usually are not very helpful or very good for you. You can do it!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I second what Preciousoohnana said! :drinker:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 snacks a night when I am hungry, my body is hungry it needs food, I just plan out snacks so I stay within my calories
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I agree with drinking tons of clear fluid as an appetite suppresant. It's hard to feel hungry when your belly's full of water. Pills are not the answer.
    You shouldn't feel hungry, btw. If you're hungry, EAT. If you're not, DON'T. If you're hungry & out of calories for the day, I guess you better go earn some calories by exercising or plan your day better.
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You've got some great advice here already. I get evening food craving badly too, and I have to agree that having low calorie, high fiber and or protein snacks will help. Veggies are good, all natural peanut butter is good, any kinds of nuts or legumes, low fat cheese or other dairy products. Lately I've discovered BSN Dessert Protein Shake mix. It's quite tasty, mixes well, keeps me full, and comes in under 200 calories (exact amount varies depending on how thick I make it and what I mix it with). Those are good if it's sweets that you're craving, as is Hershey's sugarfree Special Dark.

The one other thing I can mention is that I find exercise to be an appetite suppressant a lot of the time. Maybe it's just me but at least half the times that I think "Gee I want a snack but I know I've eaten enough today" if I pop in a workout video and do just 15-20 minutes of light cardio afterwards the craving is completely gone.

Good luck!
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Assuming they work, most of those pills contain a bunch of caffiene and if taken at night, can keep you up. Make sure your cravings aren't from boredom too. If you're eating enough, then the cravings may be phsycological and taking a hit of caffiene etc from those pills will keep you up (more time for snacks ?)

Whenever you get a craving, ensure you drink some water. Then start breathing, try to breathe in 123, then out 1234. Count your breathes too and simply concentrate/meditate on that. See if the craving is valid or not. It's possible they can go away or decrease. If, after all that you're still hungry, another glass of water and some carrots or celery may help.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    i find that popcorns and cherries help me.....i use to work overnight and i crave food.....so now i save calories for 100 cal mini bag of popcorn and 10 to 15 cherries...works wonders for me, but to each its own
  • shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    Options
    Hi.

I use the Slim Styles fibre granules. It comes in a container and you add it to your water/juice/smoothie and drink it before your meals. It recommends twice a day. I find it helps fill me up faster and does work. It is a form of the PGX Capsules but instead of taking those huge pills, you just drink it. It also helps stabilize blood sugar levels as well so you don't get spikes or dips.

If you google Slim Styles you will find info on it!