Steps per day

Options
Hi people, how does every body work out how many calories they get from steps? Say i walk 10,000 a day, could I increase my 1,500 cals a day ? Say by 200 extra ?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have my Fitbit synced and it automatically does the adjustments for me.

If I didn't, I would simply include my daily, non-exercise steps, into account when choosing my activity level. I wouldn't add anything to my calories for it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you have an activity tracker that can link up to MFP, do that and everything will be taken care of. If it can't connect, set your activity level appropriately based on your daily life and log any purposeful walking you do for exercise.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi people, how does every body work out how many calories they get from steps? Say i walk 10,000 a day, could I increase my 1,500 cals a day ? Say by 200 extra ?

Considering 1500 is the minimum allowed for men, unless you’re a really petite guy or have a ton of weight to lose (and therefore are choosing a high rate of loss/larger deficit), even a little activity should put you over 1500. I’m losing about 1 1/2lbs/week eating about 2500/day.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You can find calculators to estimate calories burned. If your steps are not purposeful exercise—just the steps you are accumulating in the course of a daily routine—don’t calculate them at more than about 2mph or you’ll over estimate the burn.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit Charge 2 and my step goal is 10,000. I meet or exceed it 5 days a week, and on the days I do, it adds 300-500 calories depending on duration and intensity of my active periods. I'm a nurse and some days I literally move all day without stopping. Those days tend to be the days I get the higher end of those calories, while the days when I get my steps in short bursts I'm on the lower end. HTH