My weight loss secret...

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
A good dog. Yeah, that's right. A dog.

Five years ago (Jan 2013) I weighed 232lbs. I was also looking for a new dog as my Rottie passed away in December 2012. I was researching breeds and came across the Australian Cattle Dog (ACD or blue heeler). Sounded like a good match for me, but wow - the dog requires lots of physical activity - lots!! So I made a commitment to my new 5wk old pup Cora, that I would make sure she got her exercise. I wasn't able to commit to my own health, but I had a moral obligation to Cora if I was gonna be her new mama.

So we slowly started leash training and walking. As she got older and stronger and as I got used to the activity (remember I was a 232lb couch potato), our walks became longer and further. By April or May, we were walking 2-3 miles a day, sometimes twice daily. And I had lost about 20 lbs. So we walked some more, starting taking short hikes and played tons of Frisbee, tug-o-war and kickball. And I lost more weight.

Once I felt "good" about my body and it's abilities again, I started strength training. And got stronger and lost more weight. And I started cycling. Within 14-16 months with my new workout partner, I had lost over 50lbs, down to 184lbs.

But all good things don't last. Cora was hit by a car, breaking her tibia and fibula. She required orthopedic surgery and now has a rod and pins in her left rear leg. Recovery was slow. She gained weight and I gained weight since we were no longer "working out" together. Then I had a minor knee surgery. More weight gain. Less activity.

For the last 2 years or so, both Cora and I have been struggling with our weight. We still walk 2 miles a day, but not at the intensity pre- injury and surgery. I know Cora is arthritic in her leg as am I, but I have pain meds. She doesn't :'(. She moves slower now. But she will still amble behind me for 6-8 mile hikes. I have kept off 25 of those 50lbs and "maintained" at 205ish for far too long.

Enter Molly. I adopted her in March. A 2yo heeler mix with more energy than I've seen in a dog ever!. I know my unconscious motivation for adopting her was to get off my *kitten* and on my feet once again.

I have lost 15lbs since Molly's adoption. The three of us walk most days 2 miles at about 2.5mph. When Cora isn't feeling up to it, Molly and I get 3 miles @ 3mph. We hike every weekend now. And as soon as I get the proper gear, Molly will run alongside me when I go cycling. Molly and Cora play endless games of tug-o-war and chase with each other. Cora has lost weight and gotten much more active since Molly joined our family.

So there you have it. My secret - a couple of 4-legged workout partners.

s99w7zgud481.jpg

ETA - I just got back from a routine follow-up visit with my doctor. She gave my a high-5 for my 15lb weight loss since my last visit in March. She commented on my progress on the weight loss front and what caused it. I couldn't put my finger on the motivation for my renewed efforts. Until I realized it coincided with Molly's adoption. Funny how I knew when I saw Molly at the shelter that i needed her as much as she needed me.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Beautiful dogs you have! Thanks for sharing <3
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Best motivators ever!

So sorry for that injury. There is something to be learned from all phases of life. Slowing down is natural for all of us at some point. I'm just old and can't keep up with those puppies any more. I still keep the weight off!

Love the photo. :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you do end up going for pain meds for the dog, I've found that Costco is cheapest by far.

We have a now 2-year old German Short Hair Pointer. He's horribly behaved if he doesn't get exercise. I've tried to take up jogging due to him. I take him on a 3 mile job about every other day, and my kids take him for a 2 mile walk on the opposite days. He's also been mountain biking.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Love my canine workout partners! I have Australian Shepherds--also very high energy and they shed a lot, which means more vacuuming, so more exercise that way, too.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have a stumpy legged corgi heeler mix, and man can she go. And when she doesn't go, she eats the furniture (RIP big round cuddle chair). Very good motivation to get her out for good long walks almost every day. On Saturdays and Sundays we do a 3+ hour hike.

She has definitely helped motivate me to leave the house on days I don't feel like moving.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Loved reading this post! <3
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The pups are great motivators!

My Lab/Chow/Something was my walking buddy when I was losing - she could go and go and go. She's nearly 15 now, arthritic and deaf but she still loves the walks! We only go about 4 blocks at a time now but boy she gets cross at me if she doesn't get her walk daily.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Yup, working dogs like ACD in the OP, my Mom's now deceased Australian Shepherd, and my now deceased Husky sure need a lot of exercise and tend to have behavioral problems when they don't get it.

So peeps who are considering getting a working dog breed, do plan to commit to exercising.
  • collomr
    collomr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love you weight loss secret!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful story.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Touching story!
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    I would love to have your "weight lost secret." :) Love these stories and the pics.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Mine have too short of legs to go running with. And one gets tuckered after about a 15 minute walk. We bought a backpack for when we want to go longer, but one day I'll get one a bit bigger as a running partner.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    What a lovely story - thanks for sharing!

My beagle has been so good for me too - we got her about a year after I broke my ankle rather badly, and I knew walking was so good for it, but I found it hard to keep to any kind of routine....the dog sorted that out! She is a pretty relaxed dog really, and doesn't seem to mind much if we do have to miss a day, but she does love her walks around the neighbourhood and the local parks and streams. And from there we have built up to some lovely longer walks and adventures (and further work on the ankle has also meant I can now do other physical activities, but I'm sure the walking is what got me on the right track).

We're just about to head out for our afternoon walk to pick up the kids from school (she's been a positive influence on the whole family!) <3