Lifting reps sets???

Options
So I'm trying to get into lifting for weightloss/body sculpting I'm just wondering how many reps you guys tend to do and how many sets of those? Does it matter if you do your sets in a row or can you do it like one set of each and then x amount of times? I hop that actually makes sense

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I follow a program, so the reps and sets are already prescribed.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you're just starting out, it's best to go with a structured program that tells you how many sets/reps to do. You can find those here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Example: Stronglifts 5x5. In two nonconsecutive days you do 5 sets of 5 reps on squats (both days), bench press, overhead press, or rows, and one set of 5 reps for deadlift.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Depends on what the end state goal is, more reps with less weight usually is for toning, more weight with less reps is for building.

A LOT of peeps do the 5 x 5 strong lifts but Im not a fan of that for duration.

I make my own workout plans so I vary it up, examples below
    (set: reps/reps/reps)
    15/10/5
    12/9/6/3
    16/8/12/6
    18/14/10/6
    25/15/5
    8/6/4/2

and so on and on, like i said it really depends on what your wanting to do.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you're just starting out, it's best to go with a structured program that tells you how many sets/reps to do. You can find those here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Yup.

Although my routine is based on this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/373801/two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine/p1
  • MelmothWanders
    MelmothWanders Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking:
    • High Reps (15+) of low-moderate weight (<50% your one rep max) is for endurance and toning
    • Moderate Reps (8-12) of moderate weight (50-75% one rep max) is for hypertrophy (muscle growth)
    • Low Reps (3-5) of high weight (close to one rep max) is for building strength

Even there, not all sets are created equal. For example, form and tempo make a huge difference. For example, I am primarily looking for growth right now, so shooting for 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps. Growth is encouraged by the amount of time the muscles are under tension, though, so it's not just about chasing reps. Hitting a tempo where the lift itself is fast, but the eccentric portion (lowering the weights) is slow, creates more of that time under tension. The goal of sets and reps, especially in this range, is to be able to just comfortably complete about 12 reps in the first set, but just barely be able to complete the 8th rep in proper form in the last set. I know that it's time to move up in weight if I complete 4 sets of 12 on most movements.

It all really depends on your goals and what movements you are doing, the advice to find a program to copy is a very good idea. Then, once you get comfortable, start carving your own path.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    a good rule of thumb is 3 sets to exhaust both muscle fibers. first set stimulates the quick flex fiber. second set exhausts the quick flex fiber and stimulates the slow flex fiber. the third set exhausts the slow flex fiber.

8 to 12 reps per set will give a good balance of strength and endurance. higher reps will go more toward endurance and lower reps will go more toward strength.

adjust the weight so you can do maybe one more rep of your target number of reps.

also, i think doubling the time of the negative part of the rep helps too. example positive count... 1, 2... negative count... 1, 2, 3, 4.

i think this is a good way to keep it simple.