Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If you could choose how you die

Options
Deviette
Deviette Posts: 979 Member
edited June 2018 in Debate Club
Excuse the morbid thoughts, but this thought came into my head and it got me wondering about things more as a whole. Because yes, there's the funny answers, there's the touching answers, there's the slightly bleak answers. But I think most people don't actually think about what they would die of rather more of the circumstances around their death. Because it's easier to say "at home, while sleeping" than "of slowly degenerating heart disease, which becomes infected". Because that's the real question, if you could chose of what you'd die of, what would it be?

Except, don't we make though choices every day. Smokers know that they're at an increased risk of lung cancer. Those who are obese know that they're at increased risk of heart disease. Those who drink a lot, liver disease. Not bothering to put suncream on, skin cancer. Not getting your cataract done, falls and physical injuries. Extreme sports, freak accidents. Open water swimmer, drowning. Drug user, accidental OD. Living in certain places or countries can change your chance of being a victim of violent crime. You name it, everything that we do contributes to how we could die.

Heck, most people on here are trying to lose weight. We're trying to change the things that we'll probably eventually die of. Even if that's not what you think you're doing, how many people say they want to be healthier? What does that actually mean: You're trying to stop developing conditions that could eventually kill you.

I'm not quite sure where the discussion is here so I'll pose a couple of questions:
-What do you think of the above, what are your thoughts?
-So really what do you think you're likely to die of, based off your action?

(also, yes I am aware it is unusual for me to think about death so much. I'm very happy in my place in life, no I'm not depressed, yes I have always thought about death in varied and different ways to other around me. Yes it is a little bleak, but it is also something that we will all, eventually experience for ourselves.)

Replies

• PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I'm likely to die of, but I do know I definitely do not want to go in my sleep. That thought has always terrified me. I actually want my death to be something painful. I want to be well aware of it at the moment. I always assumed I'd go in a car wreck, but hopefully not for a very long time.

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    I don't know what I'm likely to die of, but I do know I definitely do not want to go in my sleep. That thought has always terrified me. I actually want my death to be something painful. I want to be well aware of it at the moment. I always assumed I'd go in a car wreck, but hopefully not for a very long time.
    You know I never expected that sort of response. So often it's seen as somewhat comforting that a death was painless and while sleeping. It's a fascinating insight :smiley:
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Something super awesome and exciting like flying fighter jet into an alien spaceship like Independence Day, is how I'd want to go.

I think it's most likely that I'll die in a car wreck as well. I just don't think gun violence is that likely, despite living in the U.S.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Heck, most people on here are trying to lose weight. We're trying to change the things that we'll probably eventually die of. Even if that's not what you think you're doing, how many people say they want to be healthier? What does that actually mean: You're trying to stop developing conditions that could eventually kill you.

I'm not quite sure where the discussion is here so I'll pose a couple of questions:
    -What do you think of the above, what are your thoughts?
    -So really what do you think you're likely to die of, based off your action?

I wanted to lose weight mostly to have a good quality of life rather than avoiding death. Obviously if I am a healthy weight and having a good quality of life I am reducing certain health problems or risks of developing new problems.
    I started being more active and going outside more which has led to more sunburns, rashes, bug bites, sore feet, overheating, slipping and falling, increased risk of getting hit by a car, risk of getting attacked by an animal, etc. Not all fatal things but increasing my risks of something happening to me through supposedly healthy activity. I could choke on a salad.

I think I'll probably fall down my basement stairs and die. My cat will probably trip me while I am carrying laundry. I think this every time I am on those stairs but I still use the stairs. I might die in a car accident. I still get in the car. I have a family history of cancer and heart problems. Everything causes cancer so it'll probably be cancer of some sort.
    I think I would want a quick death rather than a lingering illness but dead is dead. I don't want to be murdered or killed in a war. I don't want to die in a fire. I don't want to die while having sex. Maybe I could die doing taxes. It is mostly how it would impact my family and friends I suppose that would impact my choice. I am undecided on what would be easier for the survivor to deal with. I suppose natural causes.

My mom died of cancer. She was overweight most of her adult life. She had other health issues. In her last few years it became hard for her to walk. She slept, ate and watch tv in a reclining chair and that was life. She was 68 years old. She went through chemotherapy. She was in a lot of pain at the end and they kept her in a drugged sleep at the hospice in her final week I don't know if she was aware she was dying or how she wanted to go but she was not conscious when she died. Could she have prevented her death from cancer at age 68? Maybe but I don't like to play that game.
    My dad has been overweight a lot of his adult life too. He has had heart problems since I was a teenager. He has had other health issues. He has done little to reduce his risks of developing health problems. The man has never worn sunscreen that I know of. He has been expecting death for over 20 years. He is 84 years and still going though.

I guess I mostly feel you are going to die regardless and you need to choose how you want to live out your days. I'd rather not take a lot of medications. I want to feel well enough to go out and enjoy life fully. I'd like to be fit enough to reduce pain and injury as I get older. I'd like to be over 70 when I die.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I would like to die by going to sleep and never waking up. That's my end goal when I've attempted suicide (obviously didn't work).

Genetically, from my mom's side - cancer of some sort (she died from lung cancer [not related to her smoking; some weird growth the doctors couldn't ID] which spread to her liver); a heart attack (3-4 uncles died that way); diabetic complications (1 uncle).

Genetically, from my dad's side - pancreatic cancer (1 aunt + her son); "natural causes" (grandma was just old and frail); combined diseases (heart problems, being old, broken limb, all 3); Ye Olde "We Don't Know What Killed Him, But His Lungs Were Full of Liquid, So Put Down Pulmonary Edema" (dad).

There've been several off deaths - war, car crash - that you can't plan for.

If I had to lay a bet on how I'll actually die, it would be a combo of a heart condition/weird-noncancerous growth while in hospital for something mundane.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    With a strong history of Type 2 diabetes in my family, I'll be happy as long as I don't die from complications of diabetes. I watched that happen with my grandma. No, thanks.

I'd like to go quickly, whatever it is.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    ...with a complete sushi board right next to me...