How do I tell my friend for the 100th time that she isn't eating enough?

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    i just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any other options! I want my friends to learn from my mistakes and not to make them on their own. :(

I have learned over the years, that people tend to learn best from their own mistakes. It's a shame but it seems to be the way it is. You're a good friend for trying to help.
  • daloverlyme
    daloverlyme Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the bald spots, brittle bones, and vitamin deficiencies will eventually tell her...hopefully! If she won't listen to anyone, maybe she will listen to her body when she crashes from lack of nutrients. You are a great friend for caring!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. It's possible that your friend would listen to a perfect stranger. When someone is bent on an eating protocol, actually driven by it...friends and family have a hard time changing their mind.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Is there a chance she's suffering from an eating disorder? Maybe instead of persuading her to eat more, work with her in a different way to acknowledge she might need professional help for disordered eating.

This.

Scare tactics don't work in general -- and they're not going to work on someone with an eating disorder who is convinced that they know *exactly* how much to eat, and what they'll deal with.

Plus, as someone in ED recovery, I'd say that if someone who had previous issues came to me and told me I was doing it all wrong, I'd be either ignoring them or flat out handing their *kitten* right back to them.
  • 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sometimes with friends, all you can do is be there for them when they need you to be there.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Encourage her to discuss her plan with a medical professional and have her health monitored.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
    You can show her the above thread.
    She may not take health risks seriously so will probably ignore any advice or concerns you have.
    You've let her know your thoughts and that is all you can do.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Ask what her doctor thinks about her routine. Not the general idea of her losing weight, but the specific way she is going about it.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Well it definitely sounds like she has developed a problem and as everyone else has said, you're right that it's too little. I don't know if it's a good idea but something that would put me off restricting calories is that I'd likely end up with problems later that meant it would be difficult to keep a steady weight and may end up heavier than I started. The prospect of weight gain in the long run might hit a nerve more than the other medical problems with her, sadly. Then again if someone prioritises weight over their health then it sounds like a deeper issue and may not be best to enforce the idea that weight gain is bad.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    She’s got me blocked now. I guess I really made her mad
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

She is on-line friend?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Keep being supportive. Instead of talking about food quantity and calories, reference nutrients and macros. It may help her see that eating that little isn't healthy. Telling someone they aren't eating enough is exactly as useful as telling people that they eat too much - 99.99% of the time, it just gets frustrating to hear and is ignored, oftentimes resented. She has to see a problem before it can be fixed.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options

She is on-line friend?

she is online and a real life friend