How do I tell my friend for the 100th time that she isn't eating enough?

Options
My friend is only eating 700 calories a day. I've told her time and time again that it isn't enough and she needs at least 1200. She isn't listening to me. Is there some key phrase that I can tell her that will make her listen? She went from 170 to 156 in a really short period of time (2 weeks) and I don't feel this is going to be sustainable in the long run. She was on a healthy normal rate of loss before this time period but she became impatient because the loss wasn't fast enough for her.

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    [ I don't feel this is going to be sustainable in the long run. She was on a healthy normal rate of loss before this time period but she became impatient because the loss wasn't fast enough for her.

you're right, it's not.

thing is, we live in a culture of instant gratification, right?

Amazon same day delivery, information in the palm of our hands..... sometimes it's difficult to be patient.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    i just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any other options! I want my friends to learn from my mistakes and not to make them on their own. :(
  • xoalexaCxo
    xoalexaCxo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just want to say you're a great friend worrying about her health the way you do. Sometimes people just don't want to listen and they have to learn for themselves. It stinks because that is so unhealthy and their are so many options to "diet" or eat healthy the right way and lose weight. Good luck with your friend, I hope she sees what she is doing to her body before it's too late.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    her last response to me

"With Phen you can do a 500 to 800 calorie diet without risking your body eating your muscles. And the calorie calculator said that my net calories should be between 700 and 800 to lose 2 pounds a week."

I just can't..
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    My friend is only eating 700 calories a day. I've told her time and time again that it isn't enough and she needs at least 1200. She isn't listening to me. Is there some key phrase that I can tell her that will make her listen? She went from 170 to 156 in a really short period of time (2 weeks) and I don't feel this is going to be sustainable in the long run. She was on a healthy normal rate of loss before this time period but she became impatient because the loss wasn't fast enough for her.

If she didn't listen the first 100 times, 101 isn't going to make a difference, I'm afraid. Even if you told her that she's losing muscle along with the fat (and the heart is a muscle) that probably won't make her stop, either.

Some people are determined to learn their lessons the hard way...

She will crash and burn sooner than later. Maybe that will improve her hearing.

• Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any other options! I want my friends to learn from my mistakes and not to make them on their own. :(

Maybe SHE needs to learn from HER mistakes, just as YOU learned from YOUR mistakes....

She is so very lucky to have a friend that cares so much for her :)

I agree with the above statement though. Sometimes, the person needs to learn on their own, and that's ok! If she chooses to ask for your help - great! If not, you know you have already tried 100 times. It sounds like you've done your best. It's up to her to figure things out now, as difficult as it is for you (and maybe others) to watch.