Help! What to eat when at a conference?!

Going to a conference for a week starting tomorrow. Each day they put out coffee and scones and other foods I am trying to stay away from. I wont have access to a car or grocery store. Anyone have ideas on how to eat healthy during an event like this?!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited June 2018
    If there's no other choice for meals within walking distance, not sure what you're asking?

I wouldn't eat just a scone, it would drive my appetite up - but if they put out cheese or meats along with some fruit or vegetables with the scone, that's a meal. You could always make a special food request to whoever is handling meals or to the venue's hospitality department.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    These types of events are the worst. If you are comfortable doing so, tell the hotel you are vegan—they will provide fruits and veggies rather than conference fare.
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Ah!!!! Great idea!!!!
  • Hummmingbird
    If there's no other choice for meals within walking distance, not sure what you're asking?

I wouldn't eat just a scone, it would drive my appetite up - but if they put out cheese or meats along with some fruit or vegetables with the scone, that's a meal. You could always make a special food request to whoever is handling meals or to the venue's hospitality department.

There aren't pla es to walk to for a true meal for breakfast or lunch.out breaks are not long, so what is at the conference is what we have.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    I often have the same issue. I try to bring some food with me in my packed luggage: a four pack of premiere protein shakes, a few Kind or Lara bars, and a couple of apples. When the breakfast options are bad, I hold out as long as as I can and then drink a shake and eat one of the bars.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Why no access to grocery? Last conference I attended, I took a bus to the market and picked up foods. Brought fruit and sandwiches to the conference every day. Had breakfast and supper at the place I was staying.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Will you spend all of your life trying to avoid foods that you perceive yourself as being unable to eat?

if you're not willing to do that, perhaps consider treating this as an experiment in learning moderation.

Avoiding scones is not about moderation for me. Low protein/high carb breakfasts make me crash and hungrier. It's just a terrible breakfast choice for me. And I am certainly not alone in this.

@Hummmingbird - don't they have cheese? I generally see cheese and fruit and these sorts of things.

What do they have at lunch?
  • Hummmingbird
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Why no access to grocery? Last conference I attended, I took a bus to the market and picked up foods. Brought fruit and sandwiches to the conference every day. Had breakfast and supper at the place I was staying.

We will be in the middle of a city. Last time I went I never saw grocers but I will definitely check it out this time!!!
  • Hummmingbird
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Will you spend all of your life trying to avoid foods that you perceive yourself as being unable to eat?

if you're not willing to do that, perhaps consider treating this as an experiment in learning moderation.

Avoiding scones is not about moderation for me. Low protein/high carb breakfasts make me crash and hungrier. It's just a terrible breakfast choice for me. And I am certainly not alone in this.

@Hummmingbird - don't they have cheese? I generally see cheese and fruit and these sorts of things.

What do they have at lunch?

Same here! I'm not at the conference yet, so im not sure. I'm just trying to prep! Great idea!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    It sounds like you've been to this same conference at this same venue in the past?

Were you tracking your food and trying to follow the same overall approach to your eating the last time you were there?

What I'm getting at is, is it possible that there was other food served but you ate scones in the past so that's all you remember?

I go to a lot of events in the U.S. at a variety of venues -- big city hotels, small conference spaces that belong to companies or associations that may use outside companies to cater meals, resort venues -- and for quite a few years now they offer at a minimum fruit and yogurt alongside pastries and coffee for a cold, "continental" breakfast. For a full-day conference where the venue and schedule don't allow for you to get your own meals, I find hot breakfasts that also include meat (bacon, sausage, etc.), eggs (scrambled, frittata, quiche, or egg "muffins"), fried potatoes of some sort, and sometimes oatmeal are more common.

Obviously, your experience may differ, and customs in other countries may be different (I don't know where you're from). I find huge trade shows with massive, multi-track conference sessions are the least likely to provide a real breakfast.

Is it in a hotel? Many hotels have small convenience/snack shops where you might find yogurt, jerky, nuts, etc. Many hotels also have a coffee shop in the lobby that offers food that might include fresh fruit or yogurt-fruit parfaits, fruit and cheese snack boxes, salads with chicken or other protein (there's no reason you have to have "breakfast" food for breakfast), or sandwiches (discard one or both sides of the roll or bread slices if you're trying to get a higher ratio of protein and fat to carbs).

And if you're in a big city, there may well be lots of options for buying prepared and ready-to-eat food within walking distance. If your room has a refrigerator and/or a microwave, that obviously expands your options.

Or think about what foods you include in your diet at home that travel well (no liquids, no refrigeration required, little to no prep required).
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Dietary restrictions and food intolerances are pretty common these days. I would think most locations would be prepared to accommodate requests for certain fare. Please don't be shy about asking :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

We will be in the middle of a city. Last time I went I never saw grocers but I will definitely check it out this time!!!

Depending on the city. Sometimes there are local markets as well. You should be able to find something that suits you. I always look up transit before I go though. Makes getting around when you're there much easier. Plus you'll know what to expect for fairs, stop locations, etc.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    You didn't say anything about your hotel/motel accommodations. Can't you eat a breakfast before the morning conference begins and lunch on your own? No restaurant included or nearby. That's what I would be looking for.
  • bedwellchris
    bedwellchris Posts: 57 Member
    Oh, sometimes I take my own snacks (breakfast bars, apples, dried fruit, etc.)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I would definitely pack some type of protein bar or granola bar that helps you stay in track. We do a lot of training where I work and we often try to put out fruit along with muffins or cookies at snack breaks. If you have a point of contact for your training you might consider calling to ask general questions about food. Stating that you are following a heart healthy diet and need to plan around what is being served. It’s really not unusual to receive questions about catering prior to an event.

You might also consider setting your calorie target to maintenance for the week. Then plan to eat somewhere between your deficit and maintenance.

If staying at the hotel, they might be offering a continental breakfast for guests. My experience with this is that they often have fruit and yogurt available as well. I generally grab an extra yogurt to put in the fridge in my room. And extra fruit for a snack later.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member

No 7-11s or gas stations even? They sell food too. Or definitely bring your own protein bars, etc.