Help! What to eat when at a conference?!

Replies

• Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Mari22na wrote: »
    You didn't say anything about your hotel/motel accommodations. Can't you eat a breakfast before the morning conference begins and lunch on your own? No restaurant included or nearby. That's what I would be looking for.

The closest restaurant is a Irish pub and not open for breakfast. There is a Starbucks but it is small....sadly only muffins and biscotti etc. I think I'm going to stick up in nuts, protein bars, and find a shop for fruits :)
  • Hummmingbird
    It sounds like you've been to this same conference at this same venue in the past?

Were you tracking your food and trying to follow the same overall approach to your eating the last time you were there?

What I'm getting at is, is it possible that there was other food served but you ate scones in the past so that's all you remember?

I go to a lot of events in the U.S. at a variety of venues -- big city hotels, small conference spaces that belong to companies or associations that may use outside companies to cater meals, resort venues -- and for quite a few years now they offer at a minimum fruit and yogurt alongside pastries and coffee for a cold, "continental" breakfast. For a full-day conference where the venue and schedule don't allow for you to get your own meals, I find hot breakfasts that also include meat (bacon, sausage, etc.), eggs (scrambled, frittata, quiche, or egg "muffins"), fried potatoes of some sort, and sometimes oatmeal are more common.

Obviously, your experience may differ, and customs in other countries may be different (I don't know where you're from). I find huge trade shows with massive, multi-track conference sessions are the least likely to provide a real breakfast.

Is it in a hotel? Many hotels have small convenience/snack shops where you might find yogurt, jerky, nuts, etc. Many hotels also have a coffee shop in the lobby that offers food that might include fresh fruit or yogurt-fruit parfaits, fruit and cheese snack boxes, salads with chicken or other protein (there's no reason you have to have "breakfast" food for breakfast), or sandwiches (discard one or both sides of the roll or bread slices if you're trying to get a higher ratio of protein and fat to carbs).

And if you're in a big city, there may well be lots of options for buying prepared and ready-to-eat food within walking distance. If your room has a refrigerator and/or a microwave, that obviously expands your options.

Or think about what foods you include in your diet at home that travel well (no liquids, no refrigeration required, little to no prep required).

It is the same place, but sadly I was not tracking food consumption then! It is a huge conference with a number of break out sessions, like your example :smile: I'm going to be there a bit earlier than check in so I'm going to hunt around for items that you and others recommended!
  • Hummmingbird
    Thank you everyone! I'm going to seek out some of the shops and items you all mentioned! Yall rock!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Take some tuna packs and beef jerky if you eat those kinds of things. You can find those at any gas station. Cheese ball pick-me-ups. ;)

Mermaids+movie+food+cooking.jpg..
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited June 2018
    Even if there are just fast food places around, you can usually order just plain eggs, or sandwichless meat and cheese. Jack in the box I can get two fried eggs, by themselves or a breakfast jack no cheese for a decent breakfast, and the chicken fajita pita without the pita, grilled onions or cheese.
    Mcdonalds, two folded or poached eggs, or a ham and egg biscuit with no cheese and toss the top half of the bisquit for breakfast, and the grilled artisian chicken fillet, "not the sandwich just the meat". Which is incidentally much tastier without the bread and sauces, lol. very low calories, surprisingly filling.

If even that isn't an option, 7-11 and most gas station convenience stores often have fruit and carrot cups, hard boiled eggs, and salami and cheese packages in thier refrigerator sections. Something like that, inside an insulated lunch box with a couple baggies of ice from the machine should keep you going until dinner.
  • beard_runner
    beard_runner Posts: 26 Member
    Going to a conference for a week starting tomorrow. Each day they put out coffee and scones and other foods I am trying to stay away from. I wont have access to a car or grocery store. Anyone have ideas on how to eat healthy during an event like this?!

Speak to restaurant / kitchen. I travel a lot for work and most places are willing to whip you up and omelette of something simple if you ask.
  • Hummmingbird
    aokoye wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Why no access to grocery? Last conference I attended, I took a bus to the market and picked up foods. Brought fruit and sandwiches to the conference every day. Had breakfast and supper at the place I was staying.

We will be in the middle of a city. Last time I went I never saw grocers but I will definitely check it out this time!!!

The last time I was at a conference (two or three months ago) it was in the middle of a large city. Where did I and a fairly large number of other people go to get food for lunch and/or breakfast? Whole Foods. Don't think that just because you're in the middle of a city there won't be a grocery store.

Hey! There is a whole foods, but not within walking distance :( I'll search out a bus :smile:
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    So what's for lunch. Are they offering you that. I don't understand a conference in the middle of a food desert and no good eats for the peeps. They've got to know that donuts and cinnamon rolls are passe. People expect more these days.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    "If there's no other choice for meals within walking distance, not sure what you're asking?"

Exactly.

• mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    I also struggle at conferences. I’m a vegan, I’m a volume eater and I don’t eat salad - which somehow seems to make things complicated!

If you like Salad, tell them you’re vegan. You’ll get loads of salad and calories-wise you pretty much can’t go wrong then. I don't like salad so that doesn’t work for me.

My approach is to pack food I know I can eat. I always travel with porridge oats in packets which I usually have everyday for breakfast anyway so with hot water I can keep breakfast the same as usual.

I also take McDougall soups which you can make with just hot water- that’s lunch sorted.

Dinner is trickier but I take snack packs of nuts and fruit bars and then ask for a big plate of steamed veg if there is nothing better available.

Most hotels will put fruit out along with pastries during coffee breaks.

It’s hard to eat healthy during conferences, but I find it’s easier if you go prepared, and easier than trying to go out grocery shopping when you get there if you’re on a timetable.
  • Themajez
    Themajez Posts: 61 Member
    In the sort of events, I find it much easier to eat nothing than "just one". As for actual food that you want to eat, well I'd go for simple foods like apples and tuna. Stuff like that.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I also struggle at conferences. I’m a vegan, I’m a volume eater and I don’t eat salad - which somehow seems to make things complicated!

If you like Salad, tell them you’re vegan. You’ll get loads of salad and calories-wise you pretty much can’t go wrong then. I don't like salad so that doesn’t work for me.

My approach is to pack food I know I can eat. I always travel with porridge oats in packets which I usually have everyday for breakfast anyway so with hot water I can keep breakfast the same as usual.

I also take McDougall soups which you can make with just hot water- that’s lunch sorted.

Dinner is trickier but I take snack packs of nuts and fruit bars and then ask for a big plate of steamed veg if there is nothing better available.

It’s hard to eat healthy during conferences, but I find it’s easier if you go prepared, and easier than trying to go out grocery shopping when you get there if you’re on a timetable.

True story, I once got hollered at by hotel staff for bringing “outside food” (a bowl of roast veg I had prepared) to a meeting, even though the meal served was pork BBQ.

Another time, I ordered a vegan lunch and got a plate of lettuce. The struggle is real.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member

McDougall soups (dehydrated) are excellent for this sort of situation. When I go on vacation I always take some with me for backup. The pea soup and black bean soup are filling. I also take protein bars, vegan jerky, and usually a "trail" mix of nuts, dried fruit, and sometimes chocolate. I take tea bags with me.

I also always prepare my breakfasts for vacation, which is almost the same breakfast I have Mon-Fri. I make up a baggie for each day: 50g thick rolled oats, 7g ground flax seed, 5g hemp hearts, 10g dried fruit, 4g unsweetened cocoa powder, 15g nuts. I've stayed in hotels that have a complimentary continental breakfast, usually including eggs and sausage (which I don't eat), oats, fruit, bagels and bread, jam, peanut butter, and waffles. I take my oats to the breakfast area, they usually have bananas so I grab one and cut it into my oats, then I add hot water. I do not cook my oats. At home I add 75g pumpkin, and I was thinking that the next time I go on vacation I may take a can with me with a storage container and open the can there and keep the leftovers in the fridge. If they have other fruit I'll take something for a snack later. Sometimes I'll have some toast or a bagel with my oats which can help get me through to lunch.

I don't usually go to conferences that are more than a day, but when I did go to a week-long one, I made a trip to Whole Foods my first night there and stocked up for the week. Nothing complicated, fruit, dried bulk items, some prepared foods. It helps when there's a fridge and microwave in the room, which most places seem to have these days.
  • Hummmingbird
    kbmnurse1 wrote: »
    "If there's no other choice for meals within walking distance, not sure what you're asking?"

Exactly.

You can't figure it out either or...?
  • Hummmingbird
    So what's for lunch. Are they offering you that. I don't understand a conference in the middle of a food desert and no good eats for the peeps. They've got to know that donuts and cinnamon rolls are passe. People expect more these days.

I can't remember, it's been a year, but as I recall it was good trucks one day, an Irish pub the next, and lunch on your own another. Soooo pick and choose is going to be my plan lol
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

I can't remember, it's been a year, but as I recall it was good trucks one day, an Irish pub the next, and lunch on your own another. Soooo pick and choose is going to be my plan lol

Irish pub is the answer. Corned beef, cabbage and a good beer. Just one beer, if you are a lightweight like me.
  • Hummmingbird

Irish pub is the answer. Corned beef, cabbage and a good beer. Just one beer, if you are a lightweight like me.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Going to a conference for a week starting tomorrow. Each day they put out coffee and scones and other foods I am trying to stay away from. I wont have access to a car or grocery store. Anyone have ideas on how to eat healthy during an event like this?!

What do you want to eat? What is the biggest problem meal?
    You could bring some food. Fresh or canned fruit, fresh or canned vegetables, canned beans, canned tuna or chicken, nut butter, canned milk or powdered milk or non-dairy milk substitute, beef jerky, protein bar, nuts, vegetable juice cans.