Gaining weight/muscle

Hi everyone,

I'm a 5'6" woman (38 years old), weighing 110 lbs, which I just found out is 5 lbs underweight. So I need to put on a bit of weight, but of course I'd like it to be muscle, not fat. I understand that to do this I need to eat a little bit over maintenance (about 200-300 calories over?) and do some strength training/lifting (currently I only do cardio). My question is: Everything I've read says that it needs to be heavy lifting (that is, not using just light dumbbells). However, since I've never done any strength training, how on earth do I do heavy lifting? Do I start with the light dumbbells and once I've gained some muscle move to heavier weights? My arms have almost no muscle definition, legs are a bit stronger since I walk a lot (my job is very active - dog walker/trainer). Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

You can look through the beginner programs listed here to see what will work best. Also even with a small surplus, you will still be gaining some fat along with the muscle. You'll also want to ensure you're getting enough protein to help build your muscles.
  • rsg007
    rsg007 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you! Yes, I realize that there will be some fat gain too, but I want to make that as minimal as possible. I eat a very high-protein diet already so there should be no problem maintaining that, and I plan to make the extra calories mostly protein. Thanks again.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    rsg007 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm a 5'6" woman (38 years old), weighing 110 lbs, which I just found out is 5 lbs underweight. So I need to put on a bit of weight, but of course I'd like it to be muscle, not fat. I understand that to do this I need to eat a little bit over maintenance (about 200-300 calories over?) and do some strength training/lifting (currently I only do cardio). My question is: Everything I've read says that it needs to be heavy lifting (that is, not using just light dumbbells). However, since I've never done any strength training, how on earth do I do heavy lifting? Do I start with the light dumbbells and once I've gained some muscle move to heavier weights? My arms have almost no muscle definition, legs are a bit stronger since I walk a lot (my job is very active - dog walker/trainer). Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Heavy is depending on your strength, if you do 5 reps for db bench press, ideally you want it at a weight where when you reach at 5 reps, you know going for a 6th would be impossible. When you hit the 5 reps, the next time during the week you do db bench press, you increase your weight by 2,5 lbs or 5 lbs (depending the dumbbells they have at the gym) and you go for 5 reps again with the new increased weight. If you can't hit 5 reps, you keep at it the following weeks until you do hit 5. When that happens, you increase the weight of your db...and so on. It's called progressive overload. That's how you build strength and muscles along with following a good diet where you are in small caloric surplus.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    As long as you are progressively overloading with time, you don't need to lift heavy to gain muscle. You want to challenge yourself and lift heavy for you. Although with more equipment it can make it easier to do so. So while bodyweight and lighter dumbbells are fine to start, over time you want to keep overloading your muscles. But definitely follow a program. See the link Malibu posted above with some great links to bodyweight/dumbbell programs.

Also while you will gain fat with muscle, keeping surplus smaller, so 250cals per day or 0.5lb per week can help keep it minimal.

Once you hit your protein goal (provided it's an adequate amount for your stats) more protein won't help you gain more muscle. If anything it can actually be more filling which could make it more difficult to hit your calorie goal.. and it would probably be more beneficial for you to add more carbs.

• rsg007
    Thank you all for the responses. That makes a lot of sense that "heavy" is relative to your current strength. I was just confused by everything I read and thought I should be starting with like 20 lb weights or something!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    If I might chime in......progressive overload can be achieved a lot of ways...

The most obvious is by putting more weight on the bar (so-to-speak). But, that is not the only way.

You can do more reps. You can rest shorter between sets.

Several ways....just find one that works for you....
  • sardelsa
    If I might chime in......progressive overload can be achieved a lot of ways...

The most obvious is by putting more weight on the bar (so-to-speak). But, that is not the only way.

You can do more reps. You can rest shorter between sets.

Several ways....just find one that works for you....

Here is a great article that talks about ways to achieve progressive overload

https://bretcontreras.com/progressive-overload/
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I knew that you would have the better, more complete answer. :-)
  • sardelsa
    I knew that you would have the better, more complete answer. :-)

With a home gym, limited equipment, plate limits.. I need all the variations of overload I can get. Adding bands, pauses, holds, slow eccentrics, single sided, etc.
  • rsg007
    Thank you for the article - I think I understand a bit more about progressive overload now. However, there was a lot of terminology that I did not understand. I do not know what squats, deadlifts, bench pressing, etc. is. Do you think I should get a personal trainer to teach me? I was just planning on watching some videos on YouTube, but those look nothing like the pictures in that article - it's just women using little dumbbells and moving their arms around, not like lifting anything off the floor. Will something like that be good enough for now?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited June 2018
    Thank you for the article - I think I understand a bit more about progressive overload now. However, there was a lot of terminology that I did not understand. I do not know what squats, deadlifts, bench pressing, etc. is. Do you think I should get a personal trainer to teach me? I was just planning on watching some videos on YouTube, but those look nothing like the pictures in that article - it's just women using little dumbbells and moving their arms around, not like lifting anything off the floor. Will something like that be good enough for now?

For learning the lifts, check out Alan Thrall's videos on YouTube. I've watched a lot of form videos and his are my favorite. Though, I may be biased because I think he's hot :#
  • rsg007
    Haha, thanks for the tip. I will definitely check them (him!) out.
  • sardelsa

For learning the lifts, check out Alan Thrall's videos on YouTube. I've watched a lot of form videos and his are my favorite. Though, I may be biased because I think he's hot :#

LOL you and I definitely have extremely different taste in men :D
  • Davidsdottir
    sardelsa wrote: »

Thank goodness! I don't need you to steal them all from me :D
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Ok, now I just have to go and look to see what he looks like! Lol
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

Think "Duck Dynasty" with muscles. ;)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I really like his coaching videos.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Lol! Yup.
  • sardelsa

Haha.. don't worry. As long as you don't go after Seth MacFarlane, we're good ;)
  • Davidsdottir

Haha.. don't worry. As long as you don't go after Seth MacFarlane, we're good ;)

If we're talking Seths, you can have MacFarlane, but Rogan is mine.