No milk on cereal? WAT?!

zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
While eating my Kellogg's corn flakes, I thought about the reasons why I'm not putting milk in my cereals.

1. Not worth the calories.
2. Cereal tastes fine on its own.
3. Using the cereal in something else.
4. The milk's gone off.
5. There's no milk at all.
6. My hands are too crippled with pain/shaking too much to hold a spoon properly.
7. Better iron absorption.
8. I'm lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNEWGD7as-w

Replies

• Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Lol. Kellogg’s. Are you a fellow kiwi?

I always eat my weet bix bites without milk... I like them better that way!!! :p
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Kellogg’s corn flakes - sounds like a Brit to me!

Benefit of no milk is, you can eat them on the go :wink:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I like using "protein milk" (protein shake) on my cereal.... Gets more protein in to the meal
  • zyxst
    American living in Canada. Due to a medical issue, I had to find foods I enjoyed that provided a lot of iron. I can only eat so much fresh food, so I went with fortified cereals. My basic 3 are corn flakes, Fibre 1 original, and Quaker Instant oatmeal. The oatmeal I rehydrate with water, but leave milk out because it supposedly inhibits iron absorption (as does caffeine, but I think that's just my GP taking away my fun).

I was surprised how much I like plain corn flakes. They taste more like very, very thin corn chips.

Mostly posting for anyone who gets snarked on for eating unmilkified cereal.
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    I heard the same thing about caffeine :( I eat Special K Vanilla Almond with no milk as my snack quite often - it is delicious.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I eat Cheerios and Captain Crunch without milk, and Frosted Flakes with milk. So I'm a fence sitter!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I want my cereal fully soggified. I use yogurt.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    When I was a kid we were given dry cereal as a snack so it is not that strange to me to eat it without milk.
    These days I don't usually eat cereal with or without milk because it leaves me hungry. I like Cheerios type cereal plain or with salt and melted butter though.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    When I was a kid we were given dry cereal as a snack so it is not that strange to me to eat it without milk.
    These days I don't usually eat cereal with or without milk because it leaves me hungry. I like Cheerios type cereal plain or with salt and melted butter though.

I like the way you think!!

I have always eaten Cheerios like popcorn - pour some in a cup and snack away. Used to eat Wheaties with milk but that was the only cereal that I did that with (never was a big cereal eater in the first place).
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    I don't really eat cereal anymore but that is because the amount I get (with milk) is not worth the calories compared to other options. But if I do eat it, I need milk.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    flakes with milk
    just ate lucky charms-no milk
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    American living in Canada. Due to a medical issue, I had to find foods I enjoyed that provided a lot of iron. I can only eat so much fresh food, so I went with fortified cereals. My basic 3 are corn flakes, Fibre 1 original, and Quaker Instant oatmeal. The oatmeal I rehydrate with water, but leave milk out because it supposedly inhibits iron absorption (as does caffeine, but I think that's just my GP taking away my fun).

I was surprised how much I like plain corn flakes. They taste more like very, very thin corn chips.

Since the cereals are fortified, why not just go with a supplement?

There are lots of forms of iron, and some are more effective in increasing people's iron levels than others. I'd be willing to bet that foods fortified with iron use the cheapest forms possible, with questionable bioavailability.

After much trial and error, I found that iron bisglycinate was best at increasing both my iron and energy levels. It doesn't have the unpleasant gastrointestinal irritation and constipating effects of cheaper forms of iron.

During the TOM that I need iron the most, I also eat liverwurst. And steak.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I sometimes substitute dry cheerios for chips or nuts when I have a snack urge and not a lot of room in the daily calorie budget. Lucky Charms are another tasty dry snack. Most cereal I eat with unsweetened almond milk.
  • zyxst
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Since the cereals are fortified, why not just go with a supplement?

There are lots of forms of iron, and some are more effective in increasing people's iron levels than others. I'd be willing to bet that foods fortified with iron use the cheapest forms possible, with questionable bioavailability.

After much trial and error, I found that iron bisglycinate was best at increasing both my iron and energy levels. It doesn't have the unpleasant gastrointestinal irritation and constipating effects of cheaper forms of iron.

During the TOM that I need iron the most, I also eat liverwurst. And steak.

Cereal is cheaper and has more uses than supplements. I don't want to turn this into "this is how you get your iron levels up RIGHT" thread. I eat fortified foods, take my Feramax with apple juice, and get along. If I've banged it up, I post a public apology and retraction on how good fortified foods are for boosting iron levels when I get blood work done in September.
  • zyxst

If your Doctor starts telling you to give up coffee - change your Doctor. :wink:

I don't drink coffee, but diet soda. Caffeine is on the "you gonna DIE" lists of my medical conditions. It's one of the few things that makes me happy and doctors want to take it away without giving me a substitute in return.

In Canada, you can't just go get a new doctor. You shop around and pray to gods you find someone taking new patients.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    I like un-milkified cereal. It’s a great snack. Especially if you buy those individual serving sizes at the grocery. A great grab n’ go.