No milk on cereal? WAT?!

2»

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    When I was a kid we were given dry cereal as a snack so it is not that strange to me to eat it without milk.
    These days I don't usually eat cereal with or without milk because it leaves me hungry. I like Cheerios type cereal plain or with salt and melted butter though.

OMG I forgot that my Mom used to make Hot Buttered Os for us....Cheerios in a frying pan with salt and butter. Thanks...now I want that.
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    I eat my cereal with milk usually but also keep some in my desk to eat as a snack without milk. Multi-grain cheerios are my favorite to eat that way - slightly sweet and crunchy. Makes me wish I had some in my desk right now!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    American living in Canada. Due to a medical issue, I had to find foods I enjoyed that provided a lot of iron. I can only eat so much fresh food, so I went with fortified cereals. My basic 3 are corn flakes, Fibre 1 original, and Quaker Instant oatmeal. The oatmeal I rehydrate with water, but leave milk out because it supposedly inhibits iron absorption (as does caffeine, but I think that's just my GP taking away my fun).

I was surprised how much I like plain corn flakes. They taste more like very, very thin corn chips.

Mostly posting for anyone who gets snarked on for eating unmilkified cereal.

Since the cereals are fortified, why not just go with a supplement?

There are lots of forms of iron, and some are more effective in increasing people's iron levels than others. I'd be willing to bet that foods fortified with iron use the cheapest forms possible, with questionable bioavailability.

After much trial and error, I found that iron bisglycinate was best at increasing both my iron and energy levels. It doesn't have the unpleasant gastrointestinal irritation and constipating effects of cheaper forms of iron.

During the TOM that I need iron the most, I also eat liverwurst. And steak.

Cereal is cheaper and has more uses than supplements. I don't want to turn this into "this is how you get your iron levels up RIGHT" thread. I eat fortified foods, take my Feramax with apple juice, and get along. If I've banged it up, I post a public apology and retraction on how good fortified foods are for boosting iron levels when I get blood work done in September.

It's cheaper for a reason.

The first two forms of iron I got from my doctor got my iron levels up but not my energy. Just something for you and others concerned about medical conditions related to iron to consider.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,722 Member
    I eat cereal every day with unsweetened almond milk but I totally also eat it dry. Usually by sticking my hand in the cereal box and hauling it out by the handfuls but I'm not sure I could eat corn flakes or cereals like that dry. (Obviously I'll eat Frosted Flakes any way I can get it. :))
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I have my cereal with unsweetened almond milk or cashew milk.

It's 35 calories for 1 cup and I use 1/2 cup. My cereal isn't soaking in milk however.

Glad you found something that works for you!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    When I was a kid we were given dry cereal as a snack so it is not that strange to me to eat it without milk.
    These days I don't usually eat cereal with or without milk because it leaves me hungry. I like Cheerios type cereal plain or with salt and melted butter though.

OMG I forgot that my Mom used to make Hot Buttered Os for us....Cheerios in a frying pan with salt and butter. Thanks...now I want that.

I think it was a recipe on a cereal box in the '80's or something because that is when I started eating it that way. I think my mom made it for my sister first as a popcorn replacement because she had braces and wasn't supposed to eat popcorn.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Cereal and cottage cheese is the bomb. I used to mix bran flakes with Corn Pops, and top with cottage cheese, chopped green apple, cinnamon and Splenda.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    American living in Canada. Due to a medical issue, I had to find foods I enjoyed that provided a lot of iron. I can only eat so much fresh food, so I went with fortified cereals. My basic 3 are corn flakes, Fibre 1 original, and Quaker Instant oatmeal. The oatmeal I rehydrate with water, but leave milk out because it supposedly inhibits iron absorption (as does caffeine, but I think that's just my GP taking away my fun).

I was surprised how much I like plain corn flakes. They taste more like very, very thin corn chips.

Mostly posting for anyone who gets snarked on for eating unmilkified cereal.

If your Doctor starts telling you to give up coffee - change your Doctor. :wink:

I don't drink coffee, but diet soda. Caffeine is on the "you gonna DIE" lists of my medical conditions. It's one of the few things that makes me happy and doctors want to take it away without giving me a substitute in return.

In Canada, you can't just go get a new doctor. You shop around and pray to gods you find someone taking new patients.

Hahah get a new dr in Canada. Good luck with that one ;)
  • delaclos99
    delaclos99 Posts: 53 Member
    Rarely have cereal these days but I am very partial to a Weetabix spread with butter.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I always eat my cereal without milk.
    Regular Cheerios, frosted mini wheats and steel cut oatmeal.
  • glassyo
    I always eat my cereal without milk.
    Regular Cheerios, frosted mini wheats and steel cut oatmeal.

Do you at least use water with the oatmeal or really eat that dry as well?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Well, yeah, it is cooked in water, but I don't put any milk on it.
    Usually cinnamon, chopped apples or blueberries, and chopped nuts in the oatmeal.
  • glassyo
    Well, yeah, it is cooked in water, but I don't put any milk on it.
    Usually cinnamon, chopped apples or blueberries, and chopped nuts in the oatmeal.

Hey, ya never know! :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Not convinced. Cereal without milk is like a burger without a bun.

Exactly!

It's also a way for me to slip a little protein into breakfast when I'm in a hurry.