Friend on plan with too few calories

Options
124»

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    your friend will find it very hard to work out as they suggest with such little fuel for food. She will be so weak and tired..and she will fail. just because some official looking clinic tells her this, doesn't make it right. I bet they have supplements or some kind of expensive something they want her to purchase to get by on so little food.
    All you can do is tell her how it doesn't jive with the expert advice you've researched on weight loss.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is 8400 a week. There are some plans that cut the calories one day or two days but then permit the person to eat more the next day or two before cutting again, but the goal is to get in the 7 days worth of calories. The idea is to teach the body that there is always more food to come. Part of it is psychological and part is physiological but at the end of the week the total number of calories for the week is 8400 or average of 1200 a day. Key word is average. This is a jump start that permits the person to tailor it to their needs as they continue to lose so after a couple of weeks, the number of days of reduced calories below 1200 will be lessened but the weekly total will remain the same.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

It sounds like a poor plan to me. Why did your friend join this particular program? Does she have a medical need to lose weight quickly?
    If your friend has struggled sticking to a calorie restricted diet in the past going even lower does not sound like it will be terribly sustainable.
    If your friend is questioning and not feeling good about this plan maybe she should not do it, get her money back and just use MFP for free with a more sustainable calorie goal.

Agree--I think because she thinks she could stick to it, and yes, quick weight loss. You're right on in your second comment as well. I'm actually the one that thinks (knows) it's a bad idea; it's not sustainable. I'm working the MFP angle--and then she'll see this thread :smile:

And relax: "go ask a doctor" people. I think we all know the difference between soliciting other people's experiences on this forum and getting a professional medical opinion. And you should ALWAYS ask questions about your healthcare and the healthcare of those you care about.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    KarlMarx2 wrote: »
    No one here is a doctor (but for some reason, plenty of people here like to act the part). I'd leave it to the professionals and stop trying to interfere, your friend's health is most likely being monitered.

Let's hope this "weight loss clinic" is more professional that the "pain clinics" in Florida...
  • candicew70
    Options
    Also just to clear, I have discouraged my friend. It’s 100% her decision and that would not be supportive. I have said: “I gotta say, 900 calories sounds really low. And don’t skimp on those protein shakes!” (she missed one yesterday)
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    oootto92 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

But yeah that would put her in a starvation mode so she would propably be just better off doing water fasting to avoid that and keep that 127 lbs of lean masswhile burning the fat.

LOL. What now?

a) Starvation mode doesn't exist.
    b) Water fasting in lieu of eating is just plain stupid.

Oh, and you forgot - if too few calories equals 'starvation mode' how does a water fast (i.e. zero calories) not equal the same thing?!?!?

When you are on a regular caloric restriction diet and eat a deficit your body adapts to that deficit. This happens by lowering you metabolic rate and reducing musclemass. This is a well known fact. When you water fast for a longer period of time the body does the opposite and the metabolic rate raises up to 22% due to the increase in noradrenaline levels after 3 days. After 4 days your body stops with the gluconeogenesis since you are in gull keto and starts to use your own fat storages to fuel you. Your hgh levels rest at 5 times at 5 day mark protecting your muscle and helping the lipolysis. This way your body gets 95% of its energy from fat and only 5% from muscle.iokanntd9hh1.png

What is your source for this (not the AT, the rest of the stuff about fasting)?

The complete guide to fasting - Jason fung. You can find some of his lectures and interviews on YouTube and I recommend checking them out.

Well, that explains it. Fung's a quack.

I was thinking, "that smells like a big pile of Fung."

a huge steaming pile.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

But yeah that would put her in a starvation mode so she would propably be just better off doing water fasting to avoid that and keep that 127 lbs of lean masswhile burning the fat.

LOL. What now?

a) Starvation mode doesn't exist.
    b) Water fasting in lieu of eating is just plain stupid.

Oh, and you forgot - if too few calories equals 'starvation mode' how does a water fast (i.e. zero calories) not equal the same thing?!?!?

When you are on a regular caloric restriction diet and eat a deficit your body adapts to that deficit. This happens by lowering you metabolic rate and reducing musclemass. This is a well known fact. When you water fast for a longer period of time the body does the opposite and the metabolic rate raises up to 22% due to the increase in noradrenaline levels after 3 days. After 4 days your body stops with the gluconeogenesis since you are in gull keto and starts to use your own fat storages to fuel you. Your hgh levels rest at 5 times at 5 day mark protecting your muscle and helping the lipolysis. This way your body gets 95% of its energy from fat and only 5% from muscle.iokanntd9hh1.png

What is your source for this (not the AT, the rest of the stuff about fasting)?

The complete guide to fasting - Jason fung. You can find some of his lectures and interviews on YouTube and I recommend checking them out.

Well, that explains it. Fung's a quack.

I was thinking, "that smells like a big pile of Fung."

a huge steaming pile.

I thought "Get the Fung out of here" might get me in trouble :laugh:
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    OMG I would be starving if I only ate 900 cals in a day. I have that in one meal!
  • candicew70
    Options
    OMG I would be starving if I only ate 900 cals in a day. I have that in one meal!

Srsly. Sometimes I make a choco protein shake with a banana and peanut butter. It's easy 450.

It's hilarious how there's two main topics on this thread. The thing I wanted to talk about and this fasting stuff that I don't know ANYTHING about :-D
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

even when Im sick I eat more than 900 calories lol
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There's a good chance that hunger will catch up with your friend sooner or later, and the issue will quietly resolve itself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    There's a good chance that hunger will catch up with your friend sooner or later, and the issue will quietly resolve itself.

Hopefully they didn't also prescribe Phentermine to suppress her appetite...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Hopefully they didn't also prescribe Phentermine to suppress her appetite...

in those weight loss clinics its very possible they will.my sister looked into one and they told her what they would do. I told her not to do it she could do it like I do but thats obviously too hard for her she never went back though