Weight loss and hyperthyroidism

Options
2»

Replies

• NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Also, I track every bite, 1200 calories a day and am not losing at the moment. I'm consistently lifting and exercising so hopefully building muscle. I'm not focused on the scale, I'm taking pictures and measurements.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see the source that states 100 fewer calories a day is a must for hypothyroid. I can't find that anywhere.
    I'm 5'5" 148 and take 175 mcg. Everyone is different so dosages will vary.
    Just a thought, do you think your age has something to do with it? It feels slightly more difficult to lose the older I get.

You won't find it as it does not exist. It's correlation.

The primary driver of basal metabolism is body mass. It's a series of biochemical pathways and it works very simply - need more, have more. The next largest driver being muscle mass, but even this is minor.

Activity is the largest driver of Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) and this is why most people find it difficult to lose as they age and we tend to become less active as we age.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see the source that states 100 fewer calories a day is a must for hypothyroid. I can't find that anywhere.
    I'm 5'5" 148 and take 175 mcg. Everyone is different so dosages will vary.
    Just a thought, do you think your age has something to do with it? It feels slightly more difficult to lose the older I get.

You are already in or very close to your healthy weight (if you look at BMI.) You don't need to and really shouldn't set it so low when you are at your current weight.

I was 54 when I lost my weight. At the end (so the last 20 pounds) I was eating 1900-2300 per day to lose. I am retired...low daily activity, tiny house - live alone. I did get a little exercise, about 45-60 minutes of walking hills 3-5 times per week.
    Also, I track every bite, 1200 calories a day and am not losing at the moment. I'm consistently lifting and exercising so hopefully building muscle. I'm not focused on the scale, I'm taking pictures and measurements.

1200 is probably too low for you - I hope you're eating more on those lifting and exercising days.

Set your goals more realistically. Like set Myfitnesspal to "Lose 1/2 pound per week." Be as honest as you can where it asks for your normal daily activity. Then in addition, add in your exercise and eat more on exercise days.

How long have YOU been at this attempt at 1200 and losing?

• NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I've had a bod pod assessment and am eating according to the results. Lost 12 pounds since April. The bod pod is extremely accurate, the egg shaped thing one sits in.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I've had a bod pod assessment and am eating according to the results. Lost 12 pounds since April. The bod pod is extremely accurate, the egg shaped thing one sits in.

So, your TDEE is around 1400 then? I find that hard (impossible) to believe.