Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    @quiksylver296 I just started it. I was doing it on and off for a few months but I was bad about consistency. I'm trying to commit now. Depending on the exercise, I'm either using body weight, dumbells, or my home gym machine. I will try to increase rep or weigh each session and progress to barbells. I am working out at home but my husband has a set I plan to use.

@CharlieBeansmomTracey, yes I have been averaging about .5 a week. I weigh daily because it motivates me and I am definitely down as much as 1-2 lbs over the course of the week but inevitably it averages out to about .5 as you say on my official weigh in day. I have done this with pretty much minimal exercise so I figured I'd get a little bump with adding it in. Wishful thinking? I am still eating in a deficit (1200-1300 calories daily).

@Scottgriesser that is the one I'm following! I couldn't remember the name of it.

I just feel like I should be doing something on my "off" days from strength training.

Light to moderate cardio. The benefits you get from lifting come with the rest, not more work.

Also, developing the body you're talking about takes time...not that you won't see improvements over three months, but people spend years building and then maintaining their physiques...it doesn't happen in a handful of months.

I just really wanted to emphasize this point. It is spot on. It can take years and years, building up and tearing down. I have been at it for almost 4 years and I'm just scratching the surface.

You can see some changes in body composition in a few months, but it really will depend on how lean you want to get.. as well as your starting point and muscle base.

yeah when I first started I saw a little bit of difference. now its 5 years down the road and Im starting to see a signifgant difference in how my body is starting to look. for me I knew it was going to be slow but not this slow. Im just glad I have stuck with it. had I done a little more I may have gotten there a little quicker. but thats ok.

Just to add my 2c, this happens to be the reason why I stopped focusing on physique goals and started focusing on strength goals. I find it's much easier to increase the weight on the bar than it is to see significant changes in body composition.

See I'm the opposite.. while physique changes are slow they happen, and it seems to be the only thing I can do with some ease. My lack of strength is so discouraging and I'm just not motivated to train for it. I wish I was but it's hard to be passionate about something you aren't good at.

I get you. my upper body strenght was always crap. its improving some but still cant do a full push up(lord knows Ive tried) and cant do a pull up to save my life. I may never be able to do those things but thats ok with me. If Im on the edge of the cliff I guess I will just have to fall lol
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 I just started it. I was doing it on and off for a few months but I was bad about consistency. I'm trying to commit now. Depending on the exercise, I'm either using body weight, dumbells, or my home gym machine. I will try to increase rep or weigh each session and progress to barbells. I am working out at home but my husband has a set I plan to use.

@CharlieBeansmomTracey, yes I have been averaging about .5 a week. I weigh daily because it motivates me and I am definitely down as much as 1-2 lbs over the course of the week but inevitably it averages out to about .5 as you say on my official weigh in day. I have done this with pretty much minimal exercise so I figured I'd get a little bump with adding it in. Wishful thinking? I am still eating in a deficit (1200-1300 calories daily).

@Scottgriesser that is the one I'm following! I couldn't remember the name of it.

I just feel like I should be doing something on my "off" days from strength training.

Light to moderate cardio. The benefits you get from lifting come with the rest, not more work.

Also, developing the body you're talking about takes time...not that you won't see improvements over three months, but people spend years building and then maintaining their physiques...it doesn't happen in a handful of months.

I just really wanted to emphasize this point. It is spot on. It can take years and years, building up and tearing down. I have been at it for almost 4 years and I'm just scratching the surface.

You can see some changes in body composition in a few months, but it really will depend on how lean you want to get.. as well as your starting point and muscle base.

yeah when I first started I saw a little bit of difference. now its 5 years down the road and Im starting to see a signifgant difference in how my body is starting to look. for me I knew it was going to be slow but not this slow. Im just glad I have stuck with it. had I done a little more I may have gotten there a little quicker. but thats ok.

Just to add my 2c, this happens to be the reason why I stopped focusing on physique goals and started focusing on strength goals. I find it's much easier to increase the weight on the bar than it is to see significant changes in body composition.

See I'm the opposite.. while physique changes are slow they happen, and it seems to be the only thing I can do with some ease. My lack of strength is so discouraging and I'm just not motivated to train for it. I wish I was but it's hard to be passionate about something you aren't good at.

Says the woman who hip thrusts 360+lbs.

giphy.gif

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Says the woman who hip thrusts 360+lbs.

giphy.gif

Hahaha no not that much mind you I haven't tested my max ever. My other lifts are the pits. :p
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

That's fair, focusing on what you can achieve. I'm always going to be a little bit jealous though of people like you who change their physiques with some amount of ease :)
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    if you want to lose weight and look good focus on your diet as you have. If you want to get into fitness, do something that interests you sports, weightlifting, biking, hiking, boating. dog rescue whateva?