Metabolic adaption?

Options
After some advice here folks. Most will know my story but a brief recap, I was 106kg eating roughly 2500-3000 cals daily. I decided I needed to diet and in one fell swoop decided to eating 1500 cals daily.

The good times came and weight fell of me for 6 months then it slowed and stopped. I got to 78kg and said enoughs enough, still had a bit a of a belly but I thought I could work this off.

I maintained this for 18 months eating 1800-2000 but after trying this and that I couldn’t shift the belly and it became clear I was gonna have to diet again.

So May 2018 I go again, 1700 cals. First week 2-3 lbs down since that damn all and I actually gained .8kg this morning.

It seems metabolic adaption has occurred, my body has got used to having so little calories and my bmr has dropped. Now I could eat 1500 cals again and I might drop a lb or 2 but I give it a week or two and that will stall and I can’t go any lower.

So how do I increase BMR? Refeed? Say an extra 150 cals per week and build up gradually or just bang 2500 cals take the weight gain for a few weeks then diet?

What’s the best plan?

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    What were you doing to "shift the belly"?

Plus, 2-3 pounds down in the first week is totally normal and may not be all fat (likely not). Further, a 0.8kg gain in a day is totally normal. I would think after losing 28kg, you might be familiar with fluctuations.... (not trying to be snarky). If you never had days where gained a few pounds during your initial weight loss, then you were not the normal case.

So, how tall are you? Age? How active?

5’11, 37, 16000 steps average on Fitbit and lift weights 5 days per week, I don’t really want to drop much lower in case I lose the muscle I’ve built over the past 2.5 years.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Are you using a weight trending app or any sort?

You don't see metabolic adaptation in 6 weeks. Sorry, but that's not what's happening here. My guess - faulty estimates.

I log on here and use Happy Scale app
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    So essentially then it’s ok to eat sub 1500 cals?
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'd still want to know what your weight has done over the last 3ish weeks.

If 1500 cals worked for you before, then it should work again/now (assuming nothing else has changed). But if you've only been dieting for 6ish weeks and aren't seeing any results, then I'd double check your logging/estimating to make sure that's where it should be, and if so, then yes... further restrict calories.

Does it not show on my profile
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »

It is not something that you, as a man, should do on a regular basis, but if it is in the vein of calorie cycling and you only do it once, maybe twice per week, you should be okay, I just wouldn't make a habit out of it. Eating too few calories can be detrimental to your weight loss efforts as well.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing. Your metabolism works in the same way a fire does - add more fuel hotter flame, but shorter sustainability. Your BMR is just a snapshot in time - the algorithms show the mean for your height/weight which is extremely accurate.

You don't increase or decrease BMR. BMR is an output of your body mass. You can increase or decrease caloric output and intake.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »

Umm, probably not. Especially since you reference above that you are averaging 16K steps. At 5'11", 78kg, at your age, 1500 calories would likely be too low even if you are sedentary - which you obviously are not.

1500 calories would probably help you lose plenty of muscle....leaving you with not a lot of change in body fat percentage.

I would really look at tightening up logging. You should be losing at a moderate (by moderate I mean good - not fast) rate at even 2000 calories - given your activity level.

No where near 2000, if I eat over 2000 I will gain, I know as I’ve done it. My logging is pretty accurate, I even allow 100 cal grace just to be sure.