Options
2»

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    So essentially then it’s ok to eat sub 1500 cals?

Umm, probably not. Especially since you reference above that you are averaging 16K steps. At 5'11", 78kg, at your age, 1500 calories would likely be too low even if you are sedentary - which you obviously are not.

1500 calories would probably help you lose plenty of muscle....leaving you with not a lot of change in body fat percentage.

I would really look at tightening up logging. You should be losing at a moderate (by moderate I mean good - not fast) rate at even 2000 calories - given your activity level.

No where near 2000, if I eat over 2000 I will gain, I know as I’ve done it. My logging is pretty accurate, I even allow 100 cal grace just to be sure.

If you are 100% sure your logging is accurate then you may have a slower metabolism. I've run your numbers through several TDEE calculators and they all show a maintenance caloric intake around 2150 per day if you were sedentary, which would equate to about 3000 steps per day and no exercise.

There have been a few studies of how much variation there is among the population for TDEE (and BMR etc.). 96% of the population should fall within 15% of the mean. 68% would fall within about 5-8%. Let's assume the mean for your stats is 2150. You may have a TDEE as low as 1850....again if you are sedentary. Your activity level won't get you anywhere near as low as that.

So that means: either your activity level is grossly overstated - which I don't believe is true based on what you've posted...

-OR-

Your caloric intake estimates are off.

I have no horse in this race - meaning I don't have a stake in which might be correct, but given what I've read, if it were me I would focus first on looking hard for logging errors.

If that doesn't work, assume you have a built-in logging error and make tweaks based on your results (over at least a 6-8 week moving average). Note - this what we all have to do in the long run anyway because we are basing everything we do on estimates.

Yes I have also tried several calculators myself. My BMR alone is nearly 1800. I have been logging constantly for 2.5 years now, my TDEE with my activity is over 2400, In reality, I know its nowhere near it. We're not perfect obviously there will be some errors which is why I set 100 cal grace but its never gonna be anything major like forgetting to log a cheeseburger or something.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Are you doing cardio at all? Weight loss mostly happens in the kitchen. 80% of weight loss is diet, another 15% thanks to strength training, and the last 5% (give or take) is from cardio. But that 5% can make a big difference, especially if you are close to goal. I know for myself, that extra 200 or calories burned through cardio can make a lot of difference.

No cardio at all, I figured I do enough with the amount of steps I do in a day, I am a tradesmen so on my feet 9+ hours per day
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    The elephant in the room here also is that you have hardly any weight to lose in reality. I don't think adding cardio will make any significant difference here. 16K is plenty of activity.

What kind of strength training do you do? Anaerobic exercise is generally better for raising RMR than other forms of exercise. https://examine.com/nutrition/is-my-slow-metabolism-stalling-my-weight-loss/. You'll also find in that link things that decrease RMR (like dieting long term without breaks).

If you've lost a lot of muscle during your original weight loss phase, it may be better to try build muscle before trying to lean out even more. (Only you can decide if it's something you want to consider).

Yeah hardly any to lose, if only I could spot reduced fat loss as its the stomach that's the last remaining area to go, I put photos up on Saturday in a post. It's not strength based really in a sense of being low rep high weight, its hypertrophy, lower weight higher rep push,pull,legs,push,pull

Yes in my post Saturday some said cut, some said to maintain, some said bulk which really clarified things.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The elephant in the room here also is that you have hardly any weight to lose in reality. I don't think adding cardio will make any significant difference here. 16K is plenty of activity.

What kind of strength training do you do? Anaerobic exercise is generally better for raising RMR than other forms of exercise. https://examine.com/nutrition/is-my-slow-metabolism-stalling-my-weight-loss/. You'll also find in that link things that decrease RMR (like dieting long term without breaks).

If you've lost a lot of muscle during your original weight loss phase, it may be better to try build muscle before trying to lean out even more. (Only you can decide if it's something you want to consider).

Yeah hardly any to lose, if only I could spot reduced fat loss as its the stomach that's the last remaining area to go, I put photos up on Saturday in a post. It's not strength based really in a sense of being low rep high weight, its hypertrophy, lower weight higher rep push,pull,legs,push,pull

Yes in my post Saturday some said cut, some said to maintain, some said bulk which really clarified things.

so of those opinions, which have you considered/decided to do - and if none of them, why?
  • dave_in_ni
    Options

so of those opinions, which have you considered/decided to do - and if none of them, why?

I was gonna go maintenance again but then said sod it as I already was at maintenance I haven't much weight left to lose just get it over and done with once and for all but then the scale went the other way this morning for no reason at all which brought me to here.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I was gonna go maintenance again but then said sod it as I already was at maintenance I haven't much weight left to lose just get it over and done with once and for all but then the scale went the other way this morning for no reason at all which brought me to here.

the problem - based on what i have read is that you don't have a lot of fat to lose and by continuing to restrict your food intake, you make lose muscle mass as well as fat - eating at maintenance/recomp (slow) or a bulk/cut cycle would preserve that muscle mass long-term
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

I think any of those could work. It depends on your tolerance and your goal (and how much time you are willing to do this).

1. Cut (and then maybe bulk). Advantages: you won't gain weight. Disadvantages: you may/will lose some muscle. Will take longer to build after getting lean. You can't build new tissue in a deficit (unless you are complete beginner).
    2. Maintain. Advantages: you won't gain weight. You won't lose muscle. Disadvantages: it takes the longest of the 3 in terms of time to get to a body fat percentage target.
    3. Bulk (and then cut). Advantages: you will build muscle quicker. The overall Bulk/Cut cycle will get you to your goal marginally faster. Cutting fat with more muscle to start with will result in a lower body fat % at the end of the cycle than a simple cut (as in #1) and increased muscle tissue raises RMR. Disadvantages: in a surplus, you can't be 100% efficient (meaning that there will be a component of fat added). You may have a harder time dealing with the scale number and having faith that your subsequent cut will be successful.

So...it's up to you and it depends what you want to accomplish.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I still think there's something bigger picture, more fundamental going on here. Let's take a step back...

You said you lost 28kg in 6 months (24 weeks). That's more than 1kg per week. That's not normal and most people can't sustain that. For most, it's not healthy, either... especially if body composition is a goal. Don't expect that type of loss now.

Based on those numbers, 1500 cals per day and 1kg lost per week for 6 months... that puts your TDEE around 2500 cals, which is very normal/reasonable.

Fast forward to the last 6ish weeks...
    You're eating 1700 calories per day, right? You saw an initial weight loss of ~1kg. But what has happened since? Have you been staying at that 1700 cals each and every day? Has there been no change in your weight in that last 5 weeks?

You say you are lifting 5 days per week but not doing any cardio exercise. How does that exercise routine compare to what you were doing when you lost the 28kg previously?

Yes saw the initial loss, since then its slowed to half pound per week for 2 weeks then stalled then but this week went up .8kg. I eat around 1600 allowing 100 cals for small logging errors.

When I started losing previously I did a beginner program called Bigger Leaner Stronger, did a full year of that, as I say its beginner, PPL which I am on now is an intermediate bodybuilding program.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options

It doesn't matter what the scale does on any single day. Weight fluctuations daily, sometimes 5lbs or more. It's normal and to be expected. That's why I suggested a weight trend app. You say you use happy scale - does that give you a trend weight? If so, are you weighing regularly? If so, what does the trend weight say?

Happy scale only gives morning average which I don't really understand how it works that out, its says 75.9 today after I recorded 77.4kg

Sorry I stand corrected I have found trends

0.1 Last 7 days, 1.7 Lost in 30 days, Lost all time 1.7 Only started using it end of May.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter what the scale does on any single day. Weight fluctuations daily, sometimes 5lbs or more. It's normal and to be expected. That's why I suggested a weight trend app. You say you use happy scale - does that give you a trend weight? If so, are you weighing regularly? If so, what does the trend weight say?

Happy scale only gives morning average which I don't really understand how it works that out, its says 75.9 today after I recorded 77.4kg

0.1 Last 7 days, 1.7 Lost in 30 days, Lost all time 1.7 Only started using it end of May.

1.7kg? That's about 2lbs in 6ish weeks. Very reasonable for your situation.

Keep doing what you're doing, just be more patient.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options

I think any of those could work. It depends on your tolerance and your goal (and how much time you are willing to do this).

1. Cut (and then maybe bulk). Advantages: you won't gain weight. Disadvantages: you may/will lose some muscle. Will take longer to build after getting lean. You can't build new tissue in a deficit (unless you are complete beginner).
    2. Maintain. Advantages: you won't gain weight. You won't lose muscle. Disadvantages: it takes the longest of the 3 in terms of time to get to a body fat percentage target.
    3. Bulk (and then cut). Advantages: you will build muscle quicker. The overall Bulk/Cut cycle will get you to your goal marginally faster. Cutting fat with more muscle to start with will result in a lower body fat % at the end of the cycle than a simple cut (as in #1) and increased muscle tissue raises RMR. Disadvantages: in a surplus, you can't be 100% efficient (meaning that there will be a component of fat added). You may have a harder time dealing with the scale number and having faith that your subsequent cut will be successful.

So...it's up to you and it depends what you want to accomplish.

Well I have done number 1 cut and well I lost fat and muscle and made a hash of that. Number 2 done that for 2 years, I built a bit of muscle sure but its slowwwwww and I am all out of patience, I've never tried number 3, I really want to but could I handle the increase on the scales? I'd probably panic being a former fat boy and end up cutting again.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options

1.7kg? That's about 2lbs in 6ish weeks. Very reasonable for your situation.

Keep doing what you're doing, just be more patient.

Maybe I am just overreacting because weight loss happened so quickly the first time I cut and its so much slower this time.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Dude, what's your macro split. I am 6'3" and maintain on about 2900-3100, so far. Slow bulking on 3300 or so. I lost a kitten ton of weight. You are more active than in am. Sure you gain on 2000? From one fat boy to another, we will always be fat boys. It's hard to change years of thinking. I have the sudden urge to cut calories when I see some fat gain or weight creep when bulking. I just have to keep telling myself.... trust the process. It is very, very,very hard.