Splurge?

Options
2»

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I walked over to Starbucks this very hot afternoon intending to splurge on a lite caramel Frappuccino. The barista informed me that they discontinued the lite base. So even sugar free syrup and no whipped cream, it was 300 cals. I promptly walked out and made myself a regular iced coffee.

I know. That happened to me when I went for my post-run frapp a few weeks back. I ended up getting it anyway, because I thought it would taste good, but then I got home and saw what the calories were, and nope nope nope. That ain't happening again.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I do 5:2 IF (two days a week I eat 500 to 600 cals). And the other days I’m loosely tracking calories (rarely weighing but using measurement like cups and tsp to keep my estimates in the ballpark). That gives me about 1500 extra weekly calories to make the five days pretty reasonable at around 1600 cals per day, or more often only eating 1350 the other days so I can save most of the two light day calorie savings for use on a weekend splurge day.

So I often “splurge” on weekends. That would be allowing my self a piece of my husband’s King Ranch Caserole or a serving of Chicken Tika (servings in the 600+ calorie range) or a restaurant meal without worry, or two or three servings of potato chips at a party, or a small milkshake on a hot night.

So usually I have one (rarely two) splurge a week, often in connection with a social engagement and use two severely restricted calorie days to keep me at maintenance.

To lose weight I restrict any splurging to less than once a month for holidays or special days like my anniversary.

Complicated, but when maintenance is is less than 9500 cals a week (1350 a day) ‘just fit it into your calories’ just doesn’t work for me. And life is too short not to splurge now and again!

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The occasional splurge is wonderful and to be enjoyed!!!!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I walked over to Starbucks this very hot afternoon intending to splurge on a lite caramel Frappuccino. The barista informed me that they discontinued the lite base. So even sugar free syrup and no whipped cream, it was 300 cals. I promptly walked out and made myself a regular iced coffee.

I KNOW! That so fried my basket! I do Keto, so reducing carbs in my Starbucks is important. I figured out other ways....but that was a disappointment1
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    I was sitting here, having my morning coffee, laughing to myself because I splurged! I had two (count them; 2!) packets of Splenda in my cup, and considered it splurging. "Hey! That's 8 calories right there."

Then, I started thinking about what "splurging" meant to me now, and realized that prior to changing my lifestyle and eating and fitness habits, did I even think about splurging, or did I just eat whatever, whenever? I don't ever remember thinking, "Oh, I'm splurging by eating this whole cheesecake over the course of a day!"

I know some talk about "cheat meals" and "cheat days" but what do people that successfully maintain healthy lifestyles consider splurging?

...this just dawned on me...my Spenda package states 1 gram/package. One gram/package states '0 calories'....I've noticed too that some posted Spenda packages as '0' or like you have recorded '4 calories/package'...I'm so confused?

Any ideas why this is??
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    I was sitting here, having my morning coffee, laughing to myself because I splurged! I had two (count them; 2!) packets of Splenda in my cup, and considered it splurging. "Hey! That's 8 calories right there."

Then, I started thinking about what "splurging" meant to me now, and realized that prior to changing my lifestyle and eating and fitness habits, did I even think about splurging, or did I just eat whatever, whenever? I don't ever remember thinking, "Oh, I'm splurging by eating this whole cheesecake over the course of a day!"

I know some talk about "cheat meals" and "cheat days" but what do people that successfully maintain healthy lifestyles consider splurging?

...this just dawned on me...my Spenda package states 1 gram/package. One gram/package states '0 calories'....I've noticed too that some posted Spenda packages as '0' or like you have recorded '4 calories/package'...I'm so confused?

Any ideas why this is??

In the US, food manufacturers are allowed to put zero calories on anything that has less than 5 calories per serving, but the only thing that really has only 0 calories is water. As a general rule most things that say zero calories have around 4 and less than 5 calories.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

Any ideas why this is??

In the US, food manufacturers are allowed to put zero calories on anything that has less than 5 calories per serving, but the only thing that really has only 0 calories is water. As a general rule most things that say zero calories have around 4 and less than 5 calories.

I log everything more to keep from developing a habit of skipping things than worrying about being exact to the calorie. But if I used artificial sweeteners, I would accept the US labeling and not log it.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options

Any ideas why this is??

Thanks...yes i guess I've heard of that (I obviously forgot about it though!)