What’s the most important thing you learnt about your weightloss?

Options
Iffiormana
Iffiormana Posts: 244 Member
The title says it all.I have been fat my whole life,I have lost up to 70lbs in college and then again few years back I lost tons of weight.
I have done all kind if fad diets,drank all the apple cider and green teas, starved myself or became bulimic but at age of 28 I realized teo most important things that how could I loose weight.
1) keeping my calorie intake less,starving never helps but you can go a long way if you eat but eat less than the required caloric amount.
2) don’t be a couch potato and hope that you would loose weight.Now I’m walking minimum of 10K steps daily and my weight is melting off.
It took me so dang long to realize this but I’m glad that I’m on the right path now.
What did you learnt while being on this journey? What helped YOU the most?

Replies

• adortiz1990
    adortiz1990 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That losing weight is not the focus and should never be the motivation. Getting healthy and feeling healthy is the goal. The numbers on the scale are only a plus to the journey.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For me:

Eating some foods make weight loss much harder for me. It's easier to avoid them.

Don't expect to stop doing whatever led to weight loss without weight regain. If you go back to how you ate before, you will regain.

YMMV
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    For me, prelogging is one of the top things I need to do.

Also, looking back at younger, super thin me and my habits was a real eye opener. As I got heavier, I was like 'but I'm eating the same things and I never worked out!' But I DID just not officially- I'd walk several miles a day, do cheerleading, hiking, always moving or I'd eat junk but I was honest about what I liked (frosting but no cake, or roasted veggies but not bready stuff) instead of eating whatever was offered. I'm getting back into that lifestyle and I think that'll make it feel like less 'effort' and more fun.
  • Iffiormana
    Iffiormana Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Also, looking back at younger, super thin me and my habits was a real eye opener. As I got heavier, I was like 'but I'm eating the same things and I never worked out!' But I DID just not officially- I'd walk several miles a day, do cheerleading, hiking, always moving or I'd eat junk but I was honest about what I liked (frosting but no cake, or roasted veggies but not bready stuff) instead of eating whatever was offered. I'm getting back into that lifestyle and I think that'll make it feel like less 'effort' and more fun.
    This was me few months back,oh I was doing ok in university life but now I’m gaining weight,I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.But in university I used to walk a lot with tons of stairs, won’t eat anything all day long with hectic schedules or eat under my caloric goal.Now I’m just lying in my bed,eating chips,watching Netflix and expect my body not to store fats.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

This was me few months back,oh I was doing ok in university life but now I’m gaining weight,I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.But in university I used to walk a lot with tons of stairs, won’t eat anything all day long with hectic schedules or eat under my caloric goal.Now I’m just lying in my bed,eating chips,watching Netflix and expect my body not to store fats.

Exactly! It's easy to think nothing has changed but then you notice that all those little things add up. We live in a city now but it's highly unwalkable so I have to drive to a place to walk/run or drive to the gym (or workout in my garage) so it's an adjustment.
  • GoLizB
    GoLizB Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That it's a transformation, a process, and it takes time.

That overcoming the mental part is far more difficult than the physical mechanincs of weight loss.

That there is no finish line, so whatever changes you make you have to be able to live with for life.

That I really am doing the best I can, and I need to be able to give myself GRACE to allow that to keep happening.

That the only opinion that matters is MINE (well, and my doc's, truthfully). But really, it only matters what I think of me, what I think of what I am doing, and how I define success. That is all up to me.

That support from others is nice, but support from ME is essential. (Again, it really only matters what *I* think of me.)

And I completely agree that
    zyxst wrote: »

Stores will never carry your size, no matter what you weigh.

:wink:
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and weight maintenance mean different things at different ages of your life. It does get harder to lose and maintain weight loss as you age because your body starts changing. You can't fight those changes. You can only learn to work around/with them.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Find a physical activity you love. I loathe traditional gyms - bore me to death. Hence I had an on-again off-again with them in my 30s. Went to a non-traditional gym and love it. I train my butt off because other than spend time with the kids, it's all I want to do. It doesn't feel like a "workout" because it is not - I just happen to get a workout while doing it. I would not have lost and maintained otherwise.