What’s the most important thing you learnt about your weightloss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Iffiormana
    Iffiormana Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    That being healthy and losing weight are separate and mutually exclusive. Being one does not always mean the other. To lose weight, you need a calorie deficit-plain and simple. To be healthy, you need a sufficient macro and micro nutrient mix and should exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.
    Also, that it’s okay to take a short (or long) break from losing weight if you need to refeed. It’s okay to eat over maintenance some days and enjoy the food in life. I have been more successful since applying these principles and allowing myself breaks as I needed it. I have gained enough discipline that after my break is sufficient i can return to CICO easily. I think that’s been my biggest win of all.
    Exactly planning and determination is important.I used to beat myself up in the past for eating a donut or pizza but now I just enter my calories in MFP & even after eating a pizza I remain under my caloric goal because then whole day I eat healthy & low calories.
    We often mistake starvation with dieting which leads to sudden weight loss but you can’t do that forever.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    The most important thing?

It's NOW or never ...
    Just plunge in and stay on track until you reach your goal

Maintaining for 2 years now after losing 100 lbs.
  • rachelannette
    rachelannette Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The most important thing for me has been to realize it is going to take time, and I have to be patient. I have lost 45 lbs in six months, but I have another 45 to go to reach my ideal weight. Faithfully counting calories and posting them on MFP everyday is THE most important thing for me to stay accountable. I also go to the gym 3 to 5 times a week and find that trying new classes is fun, especially the ones with upbeat music. Keeping the 80-20 fact (diet 80 versus exercise 20) is the key to weight loss for me. I also do not deprive any food, but always strive to eat healthy with an occasional sensible treat (all counted in the daily caloric allowance) works best for me. I remind myself daily how posting to MFP and always being honest about how much and what I have eaten is key. And last, I am always on the lookout for new motivation, new recipes, new ideas, new thoughts that we all share here.
  • mabelsdaddy
    mabelsdaddy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Do not cut out the things you love...but use them as a treat or sparingly. Have a day once in a while where you just have a "you" day. You think people will complement you all the time, while they will actually do the opposite. Your body is gonna do weird things at certain stages, but trust the process and be true to yourself. Also, girls do not flock to you like in your day dreams, LOL
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I learnt that I am not “dieting”- instead, I am focusing on sensible eating habits, including some of the foods I love, while staying in a calorie deficit. I can not sustain a “diet” for the rest of my life. But my new sensible eating habits, that I can do.

I learnt to trust the process. If I’m weighing and logging my food correctly and hitting my calorie target, the weight will come off. Sometimes the number on the scales can be a bit weird (higher sodium days, hormones, water retention can all account for this), but I’m losing consistently, and that’s what matters.

I also learnt to listen to my body- I’ve learnt about what foods satisfy me, and to eat when I’m hungry, so that I don’t feel deprived and be more likely to make bad choices. It’s ok to eat at maintenance for a day or two if I’m sick, away for the weekend, or just having a hungry day. As long as I’m consistent with my logging and eating at a deficit, a day or two isn’t going to make much difference. Life happens, and I’m in this for life, so it’s important to handle all situations that life throws at me!!!
  • jls1leather
    jls1leather Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Literally LEARNING weight loss. In my 50s and have never needed to lose weight until illness treatments cause weight gain. Figured I wanted to drop 40 lbs. I know workouts, but been reading weight loss and this. Ppl at the gym look at me like iust be crazy. Dropped 19 lbs so far, so about 21 to go. But I see stories of ppl dropping 100 lbs in months ..... HOW is that possible?@!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    consistency beats perfection
    simple beats optimal
    honesty beats appearance
    hard work beats quick fixes

every single time

I love this, and was just going to say "consistency is 100% of it" but I like the above even better. So ditto.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates because of factors other than fat. Don’t give everything up as hopeless because despite everything you’ve gained 5lb before your period.
  • jtomm2005
    jtomm2005 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You’re never too old to lose ....

You won’t get to your goal overnight ...