Plateauing for 2 months

Hey!

So the last 2 months I’ve only lost 5 pounds, this qualifies as a plateau right? That’s 0,6lbs / 200 grams a week! I was eating 1200kcal a day (I’m not very active), but the past couple of weeks I’ve been eating 1000kcal a day instead.. But it’s not helping at alI, so I really don’t see the point in eating so few calories. I weigh everything so I’m 120% sure that I’m not eating more calories. I’m a 23 year old woman. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    How much weight do you have left to lose? If you’re losing you aren’t in a plateau. If you are at or near a healthy weight than your rate of loss will be around .5lb a week.
  • Bendiz_
    Bendiz_ Posts: 278 Member
    @SCoil123 I have 36 pounds left to lose.. Lost 22.7lbs up until now.

My diary is in Norwegian. But I’ve checked my macros with a dietitian and they are fine.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    How do you measure your intake? Are you using a food scale to weigh your portions?

Usually when weight loss stalls or slows it means a few things:
    • You're eating more than you think because you are using estimates, relying only on package labels, or using measuring cups instead of a food scale.
    • Your rate of weight loss is no longer sustainable with the amount you have to lose. With only 40lbs left to lose, a 1lb per week rate of loss is probably appropriate.
    • You haven't adjusted your weight loss goals based on your current weight and may want to re-run the MFP tool to get a new calorie goal.
  • Bendiz_
    I weigh everything. If I drink something with calories, I measure. I double check the label with what’s already put in on MFP to make sure it’s correct.. Or I create a new food from the correct information. The MFP tool doesn’t give me less than 1200cal. The days I eat less than 1000 kcal I’m not allowed to complete my diary. I make all my food in my kitchen, except sometimes I eat an atkins bar for breakfast/lunch. Have been out to eat one time during these 2 months.. Then I ate a small egg salad without any dressing or oil.
  • Bendiz_
    I’m trying to be strict, because I’m very motivated! I’m not stressing too much over it, but it would be cool to drop a bit more since it’s summer and all :smiley: I use insulin and cortisone though, so I have to be strict :smile: So I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I’m happy when I see a loss, even if it is only 0.6lbs.. It’s just kinda weird to go from -8kg in a month to -2kg in 2 months on the same diet.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Bendiz_ wrote: »
    Nope. Nothing is off in my measuring. I can assure you. That’s really mean to say when I say that I weigh everything :lol: If you don’t have anything productive to say, please don’t say anything.

See a doctor.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    You lost 8kg in a month? How long have you been on this diet?
  • Bendiz_
    3 months
    1st month: -8kg
    2nd month: -1kg
    3rd month: -1kg
  • deonbfit
    deonbfit Posts: 75 Member
    Why don't you try to increase your activity a bit? Go for a 1km walk everyday to start? If you can get your daily calorie burn up then you will probably see a bit faster of a rate of loss.
  • Bendiz_
    @Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Okay! This was very motivating to read. So when my fat loss is done catching up to my water weight loss, do you think it will start to show a bigger loss on the scale? This actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Bendiz_ wrote: »
    @Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Okay! This was very motivating to read. So when my fat loss is done catching up to my water weight loss, do you think it will start to show a bigger loss on the scale? This actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

If you're accurately weighing and logging everything, the number on the scale should line up with the calorie deficit you're eating. With 36 pounds left to lose I would shoot for right around a lb a week. That's 500 calories per day less than mantenance.

I agree with other posters that you shouldn't be eating less than 1200 calories per day. Its not sustainable or healthy. Figure out your maintenance number and aim for 500 calories below that. You should see the scale move over time.

Remember that weight loss is not linear, some weeks you'll lose less and some weeks you may lose more. Just be patient and consistent and give yourself time. You'll get there.