How do you maintain a social life while counting calories?? Any frequent happy-hour goers?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat out once a week. I generally get an unsweetened iced tea. Menu items that are relatively normal portions, not fried, not doused in cheese, sauces, butter, dressings are good choices for me. A side salad with my meal helps me eat less.
    If something is huge I might split it with someone.
    I really try not to drink my calories as that is unsatisfying. I'd rather eat more food.
    At an event I would just take rasonable portions.

With 7 lbs to lose you don't need to drastically alter your lifestyle- probably just need to skip having one thing or a couple hundred calories a day. Figure out some priorities. If you want to drink or have dessert reduce calories in other areas of your day. Change your drink order sometimes- every restaurant I have been to has water or unsweetened tea or diet pop. Skip appetizers or dessert sometimes. Get more vegetables on your plate. Have a lighter lunch or breakfast on days you are going out. Exercise a bit more.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Candyspun wrote: »
    What do you guys do when you're at a banquet, and the only food on offer is fatty, fried Chinese food? This is coming up for me in a few months.

For one meal? I'd eat it and not worry about it, with the understanding that I'd see a temporary water weight spike from all the sodium. I didn't lose all my weight by eating a salad one day, and I won't gain it all back by eating an indulgent meal one day. One meal won't make or break your long-term efforts - it's a tiny little bump in the road.

The OP's situation (happy hours/eating out multiple times a week), on the other hand, would require some adjustments to be made.