How accurate is FitBit TDEE (HR monitor version)?

Options
I just wondered how accurate people have found exercise monitor TDEE calculations to be.

I'm a 5'3" female, 153 lbs., with PCOS. I am down about 25 lbs. (SW 179) over the past two years but the past year I have been bouncing back up and down between about 155 and 152 and cannot seem to get under the magic 150 barrier. My goal is 140, which will put me at a normal BMI.

My FitBit says I burn 2,400 calories a day (that's averaging out the burn over the past five weeks). I average about 12,600 steps a day (average for the last five weeks). About half those steps come from exercise (brisk walking 45 min/5x week + low impact aerobics with resistance band 45 min/2x week) and about half come from NEAT.

I weigh my food on a scale, and my calorie goal has been manually set at 1400 cals/day. I recently reset it (this week) to 1 lb./week, lightly active, which is 1430--so about what I was doing before.

I'm not on a specific diet but strictly count calories. I do try to limit processed carbohydrates due to my PCOS.

Is my TDEE way off? I don't think eating fewer calories is sustainable long term, because I will get hangry and give up. But when I do eat more calories, my weight seems to start creeping up again. Anybody have some good advice for me? I'm not looking to be a supermodel; I just want to get down to a normal BMI.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Fitbit with HR since 2015 and I've found it to be very accurate.

That said, your real life results are going to be your best guide. If you're eating 2,400 and your weight is going up, that's more meaningful information than what the Fitbit is telling you your TDEE is.
  • shampbj
    shampbj Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Fitbit with HR since 2015 and I've found it to be very accurate.

That said, your real life results are going to be your best guide. If you're eating 2,400 and your weight is going up, that's more meaningful information than what the Fitbit is telling you your TDEE is.

I'm not eating 2,400 calories a day. I'm eating 1,400 calories a day. If 1,400 is my maintenance calories, I'm am severely in trouble.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    shampbj wrote: »

I'm not eating 2,400 calories a day. I'm eating 1,400 calories a day. If 1,400 is my maintenance calories, I'm am severely in trouble.

Your weight is going up on 1,400?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1400 cals? If you're weighing is accurate and your calorie burn is accurate then you should be losing 2lb per week. Are you?
  • Kay_180
    Kay_180 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This study found that most activity trackers are pretty bad at estimating energy expenditure, even if they're measuring your heart rate accurately.
    https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2017/05/fitness-trackers-accurately-measure-heart-rate-but-not-calories-burned.html
    Which probably isn't very helpful for you! But I guess it just means you need to keep tweaking what you're doing until you get the real-life result you want, rather than trusting what the FitBit is telling you.
  • shampbj
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1400 cals? If you're weighing is accurate and your calorie burn is accurate then you should be losing 2lb per week. Are you?

No. As stated in my original post, I have been bouncing up and down in a 3-pound range (155-152) for a year.
  • shampbj
    Options
    Your weight is going up on 1,400?[/quote]

No, my weight stays about the same at 1,400. If I go above that, say a couple of splurge days of 1600-1800, then, yes my weight goes up. It usually rebounds back to about the same level after going back to strict 1,400 for a few days.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    My Alta HR seems pretty accurate.

I've always estimated my sedentary TDEE as around 1700. The Alta gives me that TDEE on lazy days (under 5k steps) which seems right on point. On more active days, I average out around 1900-2000 TDEE - which makes sense.

2400 for 12k steps and some other workouts seems about right for you. PCOS may be throwing a wrench into the calculations though.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

No, my weight stays about the same at 1,400. If I go above that, say a couple of splurge days of 1600-1800, then, yes my weight goes up. It usually rebounds back to about the same level after going back to strict 1,400 for a few days.

That seems pretty low. Are you using a food scale for all your solid food?
  • shampbj
    Options

Yes, I weigh meat in ounces since most of the entries use ounces, and everything else in grams, including hummus and shredded cheese! Except of course when I eat out, which is usually one night a week. But I usually get a burger with no bun and a salad with no dressing, so I don't think my logging could be off enough from that to wreck a whole week. I'm just feeling very frustrated at the moment. The biggest ? would probably be the wine I have with dinner, but if my TDEE is accurate, I'd have to be drinking two extra bottles of wine a week to account for the calories mismatch, which is definitely not the case.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Yes, I weigh meat in ounces since most of the entries use ounces, and everything else in grams, including hummus and shredded cheese! Except of course when I eat out, which is usually one night a week. But I usually get a burger with no bun and a salad with no dressing, so I don't think my logging could be off enough from that to wreck a whole week. I'm just feeling very frustrated at the moment. The biggest ? would probably be the wine I have with dinner, but if my TDEE is accurate, I'd have to be drinking two extra bottles of wine a week to account for the calories mismatch, which is definitely not the case.

You don't log the wine?
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Some are better than others. My Alta HR has been very accurate. I'm 5'1" and 131 pounds and Fitbit estimates 2400 calories for 15K steps a day, which is pretty consistent with what I'm losing at currently. My husband's counts steps when he's driving in his car. The MFP estimate given to you and your Fitbit are only part of the picture. For all of this to work correctly, you have to be logging accurately. If you've been consuming 1400 calories consistently for the last year and not losing anything, then my initial suggestion is that something is incorrect with your logging. Can you open your food diary?
  • shampbj
    Options

You don't log the wine?

Of course I log the wine. But I pour it into a glass. I don't weigh it. So there might be a variance if I am logging a glass as five ounces but in fact it is six ounces.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

You don't log the wine?

Of course I log the wine. But I pour it into a glass. I don't weigh it. So there might be a variance if I am logging a glass as five ounces but in fact it is six ounces.

Surely you can figure that out by how many glasses you get out of a bottle...? It's not that difficult a calculation....
  • shampbj
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Some are better than others. My Alta HR has been very accurate. I'm 5'1" and 131 pounds and Fitbit estimates 2400 calories for 15K steps a day, which is pretty consistent with what I'm losing at currently. My husband's counts steps when he's driving in his car. The MFP estimate given to you and your Fitbit are only part of the picture. For all of this to work correctly, you have to be logging accurately. If you've been consuming 1400 calories consistently for the last year and not losing anything, then my initial suggestion is that something is incorrect with your logging. Can you open your food diary?

I did set it to public in my settings. Is there something else I need to do?

ETA - Not sure why I can't see it from my profile, but the link is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/shampbj
  • shampbj
    Options

You don't log the wine?

Surely you can figure that out by how many glasses you get out of a bottle...? It's not that difficult a calculation....

Yes, there are 5 glasses per bottle. So if I drink half a bottle of wine, I log 2.5 glasses. I'm saying it might not be exact, but it should be pretty close. You are kind of treating me like an idiot here.

If I am maintaining at 1,400 calories a day but my FitBit says my TDEE is 2,400 calories a day, then either my consumption numbers are wrong or my TDEE is wrong. I am a very tight logger, so I'm theorizing that my TDEE is not correct, and this post was to see if anyone else had encountered similar issues.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

You don't log the wine?

I use a measuring cup for my alcohol -- the liquid ones typically have the ounce measurement clearly marked.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Can be too high by a lot if you happen to have a higher than average maximum heartrate and/or are not very fit so that your heartrate goes up easily. For me it's very off! It gave me nearly 500kcal for a concert lasting about an hour yesterday and the day before. Just some dancing? No way! On normal days Fitbit is about 150-200kcal too high as well. Thus if I believed it I would gain weight. Btw, I've adjusted it by adding my maxHR, but Fitbit settings only allow so much (mine is about 205)