How to decide Macros for weightloss

Options
sgod0905
sgod0905 Posts: 16 Member
I just started my joruney to weightloss. I joined a gym and want to loose 8-10 punds the healthy way.
My question is how do i know how many Carbs-Protein-Fats and total calorie per day should I be working towards?
All help and encouragement will be appreciated. Also, i would like to loose 1-2 pds per week. Is that possible?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it's the calorie goal that is important. Macros are for satiety and nutrition.

Have you tried entering your stats into MFP? That will give you a calorie goal and you can start with the default macros and adjust them according to your preferences.

If you're only losing 10 pounds or so, 1-2 pounds a week is probably too aggressive of a goal. You may want to choose .5 pounds a week.
  • sgod0905
    Options
    Thank you. So the default came up as 1440 calories, carbs 60% Protein and Fats at 20% each. Should i just leave it at that?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sgod0905 wrote: »
    Thank you. So the default came up as 1440 calories, carbs 60% Protein and Fats at 20% each. Should i just leave it at that?

I thought it was 50/30/20?
  • sgod0905
    Options
    Should I change it to 50-30-20? I don’t want to eat more carbs than I should!
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Don’t overthink it, just try that ratio out for a few weeks. If you feel hungry or can’t stick to it, consider upping protein or fat, which some people find more satiating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sgod0905 wrote: »
    Should I change it to 50-30-20? I don’t want to eat more carbs than I should!

carbs don't make you fat, too many calories do.

there isn't really any such thing as 'more than you should' other than personal preference for satiety and performance.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The focus should be on protein, aiming for around .7-1g/lb. And the rest can fall out based on personal eating style and preference.