Plateau after only 17 lbs lost??

Options
lhebert1969
lhebert1969 Posts: 63 Member
edited June 2018 in Motivation and Support
I just wanna know how it's possible to plateau when I've only lost 16-18 lbs..It's sooooo frustrating..I even gained a lb back..I feel like I'm sticking to my "diet" but I'm barely losing anything (I started the "diet" on 5/1/18). I want to go walking around the neighborhood, but have issues with my right foot. If I walk or stand too long, it hurts really bad. Anyway..I don't know what the deal is..6 years ago I did pretty much the same diet & lost 90 in less than a year..so I just don't get it! Ok..vent over..lol

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    In almost 2 months you have lost 16plus pounds! Sounds like you know what you are doing :D
  • lhebert1969
    Options
    That just doesn't seem like much to me, since I have so much I need to lose..plus it won't go any farther..it keeps staying the same for weeks.. :neutral:
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Did you change anything in these past few weeks? What are your stats? Height, weight, age and, goal weight?
  • lhebert1969
    Options
    I eat different stuff..but all low carb/keto..5'4, started at 294 & now at 277, 41 & anything under 200..lol
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into exercise options that can work around your foot issues for now? Wasn't Pilates started by a guy who was physically incapable of doing a lot of regular exercising?

Kudos to you for staying on track, though! You may have plateaued for now, but I'll bet you break through if you keep up with a calorie deficit.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I doubt it’s the same for everyone, but at least for me (and a friend on here that I talked to about it), we both lost 20lbs pretty steadily. 1-2lbs/week like clockwork, almost a new low every day. Then, switched to whooshing, so a week, maybe 10 days of nothing, or in my case, up a few pounds, then bam, down all at once (or maybe over two days) to a new low 1-2lbs lower than before. I’m 7lbs higher than I was 2 days ago (Chinese food and ice cream), so I’m expecting to get back down to a pound or two over my previous low in a couple days, then nothing for a week, then down a few pounds to a new low. Just sorta the way it works now.

How long have you been at a standstill?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I just wanna know how it's possible to plateau when I've only lost 16-18 lbs..It's sooooo frustrating..I even gained a lb back..I feel like I'm sticking to my "diet" but I'm barely losing anything (I started the "diet" on 5/1/18). I want to go walking around the neighborhood, but have issues with my right foot. If I walk or stand too long, it hurts really bad. Anyway..I don't know what the deal is..6 years ago I did pretty much the same diet & lost 90 in less than a year..so I just don't get it! Ok..vent over..lol

did you recalculate your weight and calories in mfp? most people do it every 10-20 lbs. although it shouldnt be a big difference it might be. maybe you are eating more than you think? are you using a food scale or anything? keto does not guarantee weight loss unless in a deficit. how long has it been since you lost any weight? if it hasnt been 6-8 weeks then you arent in a plateau.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    mcraw75 wrote: »
    tvnz1ryhbdr8.jpg
  • lhebert1969
    Options
    Here are my goals for each day..but most everyday, I'm usually way under all of them..
    Not sure how much lower I can go..I feel like I'm barely eating anything..but really not that hungry, outside of what I'm already eating..before my "diet" I was eating pasta, desserts, bread, tortillas, etc..Frosted flakes cereal for breakfast most days, a burger for lunch everyday, big bowls of food for dinner most days..now I'm not eating any of that & the scale is barely moving..just so frustrating..

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    Your Daily Goal 1,500 38 100 113 2,300 54
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Patience Grasshopper. I know it's hard. Weight loss is anything but linear. Stay the course, don't let your frustration make you nibble extra bites. It'll whoosh off shortly if you are maintaining a nice deficit.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    You need to progressively reduce calories as your weight drops due to your requirement dropping as well. I don't know what your starting weight was, but if it was 170lbs and you lost 17, you need to reduce calorie intake by 10%. Kind of oversimplified as there's other factors but people often overlook that.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Any chance your foot is swollen? Injuries can cause a large water weight gain.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    This question is common particularly among low carb folks. My experience in the past with low carb diets is that the first week you will see a huge drop - generally a large portion of that is water. My personal experience with this type of diet was that eventually the rapid loss slows down as your body accepts the new way of eating and you may see some of the water return. Meanwhile you are still losing fat so when the water returns the fat loss is masked. Keep going. The weight loss will continue if you are sticking to your program.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Here are my goals for each day..but most everyday, I'm usually way under all of them..
    Not sure how much lower I can go..I feel like I'm barely eating anything..but really not that hungry, outside of what I'm already eating..before my "diet" I was eating pasta, desserts, bread, tortillas, etc..Frosted flakes cereal for breakfast most days, a burger for lunch everyday, big bowls of food for dinner most days..now I'm not eating any of that & the scale is barely moving..just so frustrating..

This question is common particularly among low carb folks. My experience in the past with low carb diets is that the first week you will see a huge drop - generally a large portion of that is water. My personal experience with this type of diet was that eventually the rapid loss slows down as your body accepts the new way of eating and you may see some of the water return. Meanwhile you are still losing fat so when the water returns the fat loss is masked. Keep going. The weight loss will continue if you are sticking to your program.

Pretty much this.

At least half of that 17 lbs is just water. You're out of the honeymoon period and you're going to have to wait another 2 ish weeks for the rebalancing to finish.
  • lhebert1969
    Options
    Any chance your foot is swollen? Injuries can cause a large water weight gain.

It does swell sometimes, but not usually..
  • lhebert1969
    Options

Pretty much this.

At least half of that 17 lbs is just water. You're out of the honeymoon period and you're going to have to wait another 2 ish weeks for the rebalancing to finish.

I've been bouncing up & down between 276-278 since 6/10.. :disappointed:
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Pretty much this.

I've been bouncing up & down between 276-278 since 6/10.. :disappointed:

So your two weeks is just about over.
  • lhebert1969
    Options
    That's 17 days..almost 3 weeks now..
  • Chris8122
    Chris8122 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What about other forms of exercise that won’t hurt your foot? Swimming is great..bike riding..or some weight training while seated or lying down.
  • lhebert1969
    Options
    Finally lost 2 lbs this morning!! Hopefully it won't be another 3 weeks before I lose more..lol