Do you eat your vegetables?

Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    I'll be the odd one out: nope. I lost 80 pounds with very few vegetables and no salads to speak of. I'll eat them when they are offered to me--they can be tasty--but with the exceptions of onions and mushrooms with my egg white omelettes, they are not a part of my daily diet.

Edit: PS- My lack of vegetables is mostly because of ensuring I'm getting enough protein within my daily caloric intake, OP--I understand completely. And, I cannot abide pea protein, so...

I get between 1 and 2kgs of vegies a day, whilst also eating 140-150g protein. Preplanning helps, and I make a conscious effort to eat lots of lower cal vegies as I like volume.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Lately, no. I've been trying to avoid them while self experimenting. I make sure to get quality animal products though so they only thing I'm lower in is fibre, which is part of the experimentation.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'll be the odd one out: nope. I lost 80 pounds with very few vegetables and no salads to speak of. I'll eat them when they are offered to me--they can be tasty--but with the exceptions of onions and mushrooms with my egg white omelettes, they are not a part of my daily diet.

Edit: PS- My lack of vegetables is mostly because of ensuring I'm getting enough protein within my daily caloric intake, OP--I understand completely. And, I cannot abide pea protein, so...

I get between 1 and 2kgs of vegies a day, whilst also eating 140-150g protein. Preplanning helps, and I make a conscious effort to eat lots of lower cal vegies as I like volume.

What do you put on your vegetables? I like mine with fat like oils or sauces which adds up.. so too many vegetables can mean a lot of extra cals. Or it can be too filling (which is good if your intake is lower)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    summpear wrote: »
    I'm curious how good you are at getting your veggies in every day.

Before I joined MFP, one of my strategies for losing weight was to eat a veggie with every meal. It was mildly effective and I got so. Many. Veggies.

Now that I'm logging, I find myself going for protein goals, which leaves me so full I'm almost never reaching for veggies and my intake has gone way down.

I make sure I incorporate veggies into each meal or snack, besides breakfast. I usually add a base of spring mix to my protein, put spinach and chopped veggies into egg white scrambles or omelettes, and opt for veggies as a snack sometimes as well. If I have a bagel, I'll even put cucumbers, onions and peppers on top. More fiber. More micronutrients. Overall just better for your body and health.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited June 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

What do you put on your vegetables? I like mine with fat like oils or sauces which adds up.. so too many vegetables can mean a lot of extra cals. Or it can be too filling (which is good if your intake is lower)

I generally just add spices, and fats come from food rather than oils (eggs, salmon, PB, nuts, avo, cheese).
  • Nixonz
    Nixonz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Eating lots of leafy greens on keto. I miss onions and peppers!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Nixonz wrote: »

I would miss onions and peppers so much!
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't eat enough veggies. 0-2 servings per day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I eat several pounds of plant foods, mostly greens, every day. In fact, I'm more interested in micros and fiber than "carbs" as a concept. I don't "believe" in simple and complex carbs.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Some days no, I don't eat enough. Some days I have 10-12 servings. Plus I usually get a fruit or two in there as well, so I think I'm in good shape overall.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat several pounds of plant foods, mostly greens, every day. In fact, I'm more interested in micros and fiber than "carbs" as a concept. I don't "believe" in simple and complex carbs.

I'm of a similar frame of mind. I don't consider simple or complex carbohydrates to be a very meaningful guide to my food choices. Other things about the foods are more relevant to me.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I do. Everyday! Now that's something I'd thought I would never ever say.

I find it easy to fit them in and sneak them into my meals....veggie omelettes, stir-fry, casseroles, soups, veggie quesadillas, as a side dish, in smoothies, substitutions for meat (eggplant for veggie bacon and chicken parmesan, shredded zucchini for crab cakes) and zoodles just to name a few.
  • valentinairenedilauro
    Options
    I have a problem with veggie and fruit. when I eat them after a while I'm bloated as a baloon but I love them and I don't understand how to get all my potassium and sugar per day. I found a solution including small quantity per day...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Not great with veggies. There’s always some vegetable with dinner, sometimes lunch. Depends what I’m making though. Certain meals have tons of veggies (or fruits I don’t really know what’s what) like tacos or fajitas. Peppers onions avocado lime tomato etc. I eat a lot of fruit though lol
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    whole food plant based diet here. So that's ALL I eat.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My first step into getting on a better way of eating was to "eat a damn vegetable" - just to make the choices I knew were better for me, and after a month or two I moved on to really counting the calories. I'm two years on from my start now, and a year of maintenance, and eating my fruit and veg is something I like to do and isn't a choice I have to make myself make any more. Small changes, slowly.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    jlemoore wrote: »
    whole food plant based diet here. So that's ALL I eat.

You only eat vegetables?
  • 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm getting much better at making sure I get my veggies. I've had to make a conscious effort to really fit them in. Plus I'm rather picky so finding ones I like sometimes gets hard, but I'm trying to expand my horizons and try new veggies.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Nixonz wrote: »

I eat those and I'm keto. Last night I had meatloaf with onion in it. Just eat within your macros (roughly).
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    I've discovered i really dig riced veggies, so i've been doing a really great job getting them in.