Do you eat your vegetables?

Options
summpear
summpear Posts: 77 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm curious how good you are at getting your veggies in every day.

Before I joined MFP, one of my strategies for losing weight was to eat a veggie with every meal. It was mildly effective and I got so. Many. Veggies.

Now that I'm logging, I find myself going for protein goals, which leaves me so full I'm almost never reaching for veggies and my intake has gone way down.

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Yep 10 servings plus a day... I love my micros!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. Mostly they're incorporated into my mains, though I'll eat them in other dishes, too.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Not as great as I'd like but decent. I prioritize protein over everything right now so veggies come in second, and sometimes I just don't have the room for them.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My lunch is usually veggie based, either salad or mixed veggies, then topped with cottage cheese, meat or a veggie burger. Dinner is usually a meat, a carb, veggies.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yes, veggies are an important part of my diet :)
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sorry my phone was going crazy.

My veggie intake has gone down since I started logging because I'm always working on reaching protein goals.

Not an anticipated side effect of "dieting" and definitely something I need to address.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't. Only about 2 days each week I get as much as 1 lb of vegetables. In my breakfast 5 days each week I include 12 grams of LivFit Superfood Blend of powdered vegetables. I don't pretend it's adequate.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I subbed out my starch with dinner for a 2nd veggie most nights. Plus an actual serving is so small that between my usual lunch salad, my double/double dinner veggies (2 veggies, about 2 servings each), a piece of fruit with breakfast and random odds and ends (veggies in soups, etc), I’m doing pretty well.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've been more focused on overall calorie intake and not so much on macros, as I'm trying to lose a ton of weight. With that, I don't want to feel hungry all the time either, so I eat a ton of veggies in order to be able to eat a lot more volume and feel full.

I'll usually start my meals with some finger food, namely veggies that I've cut up so I can dip them into my low calorie homemade hummus.

When the weather was cold, I was roasting veggies and tossing them with a little soy sauce or pineapple teriyaki sauce.

Besides that, at least since I've been refocused on my weight since December, my dinner's main course has been pretty veggie-centric. I've been making soups, zucchini bakes, chili, etc. So that's helped getting some veggies in as well.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Honestly. I could do a lot better, that’s for sure. I don’t get the recommended amount. It’s simply a convenience thing for me, and I need to do better. I’m a sucker for convenience foods
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love them! Lunch today was a homemade Asian soup with broccoli, red onion and mushrooms. Other days I have dinner leftovers, which usually have plenty of veggies, or I'll have a side salad with lunch, or a side of veggies such as cherry tomatoes and cocktail onions. Carrot sticks with cream cheese is a snack I have often, again, so is cherry tomatoes. Dinner usually has about 3 serves of veggies in it too.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    At dinner always but I’m pretty inconsistent with lunch. Today I ate a protein bar that was in my desk
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1 lb of raw veggies most days of the week--at least in the summer. Our produce sucks in the winter and I'll have to figure out how to keep up the habit once it gets cold again.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love veggies. Always have. I like to add lots to every meal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    since my husband started eating lower carb it increased my veg intake for my evening meal. its rare these days for me not to hit at least the recommended minimum.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    For me a meal is not a meal unless it comes with a large helping of veg ( usually 2 different veggies) Protein is the issue for me, I have to work at hitting my target because I'm just not fussed.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm at an advantage here because I've always loved and eaten vegetables in large amounts, so I don't really "eat my vegetables", I just eat and they fall in place. I'm with you on protein making things hard to balance sometimes. I sometimes find myself hating the fact that it takes up as many calories as it does, and I'm not even aiming for high protein.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not "good", that was one of the things I gave up when I joined MFP. I do however enjoy many vegetables, I like how all the components work together to balance a meal, and I don't consier a meal a real meal without vegetables.