Support that Doesn't Focus on Challenges but on Relationship

Options

Replies

• allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that's why I'm not so worried that it's been 4 years since I started trying to lose. I'm actually happy it's taking a long time. I have learned a lot during this time - about myself, my mind, my emotions - and I feel positive that my changes will be life long going forward.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @allison8668 I can handle the truth. If we want our health to be a priority it takes some serious suxing it UP, Buttercup. I want to be in that 5% come hail or high water. I am beyond willing to fight for it. We can't coast on our laurels or lay back in the wildflowers taking a nap.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys for the absence. Pain is the problem. The knees are getting much stronger and better with the PT but the hips and lower back are suffering majorly now. Nothing is comfortable for long. Sitting too long even on a soft cushion on a firm chair or standing too long in one spot, and walking too long. I seem to be in perpetual motion just trying not to hurt so much! All that makes for not much puter time. I'm having a party though reading what you guys are writing. You are good thinkers and posters!
    @chulipa Awww, God bless you honey, that is for sure a mean place for your poor body. I will be thinking of you and praying for you most certainly. We can surely encourage each other!
    @Mari22na What a beaut that Steamboat is. Great video!
    Gotta move, see you guys later! Have a blessed day! Holly has missed you!!!
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    @allison8668 I'm working on more fresh and raw foods today. I love the great produce of summer. Salads are great but I HATE making them! Be tough, Holly, like your friend Mari22na! LOL
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    @campfirequeen1 I've been waiting for you to come back to the hitching post. How 'bout some swimming and a therapy pool to help with that pain. Dang it. It's like working on the injectors in your engine, you replace one and find out the valves are going out. You replace one spark plug and have to replace all of them. You fix the leaky radiator and have to fix the brakes. If it ain't one thing it's another. It's always somethin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYGtXIqDa0[/url]
  • Diatonic12
    edited July 2018
    Options
    NSV = Non Scale Victory. A victory is a victory.

I understand the concept of NSV but I don't care about it. It's part and parcel, in that suitcase filled with catchphrases, slick marketing tricks and dieting buzz words I've been trying to rid myself of.

A victory is a victory. Why does everything have to be linked to dieting, scales, weight loss and weight gain. Slick marketing trickery = this really isn't a diet but a lifestyle change. Oooo, don't kid yourself, it is just another diet all dressed up with dieting terms that replaced all of the old ones. And you've fallen for it, hook, line and sinker.

Deprogramming = Returning back to your original factory settings.

Rebound weight gain with friends takes a fraction of the time that it took to release it. Unwinding the years of dieting minutiae out of your head takes twice as long as it took to put it in there.

Bottomline. Where is yours 5 years down the road. I don't care about quick and rapid weight loss, 16 lbs in 19 days does not impress me. If you can't sustain that 5 months or 5 years from now, it doesn't mean anything.

Take the leap. Bare your soul. Go big.

Under your skin is your spirit. Body. Mind. Spirit. My spirit is the best part of me. The brain doesn't care about my NSV. The brain doesn't care if I ever make it to my dream weight. It's neutral. The brain doesn't care about food with brakes or if you ever pump the brakes and stop stop eating. The brain is a driver. Central processing unit. Your screen is the window to your soul. What you look at when no one else is watching is who you really are.

NSV. Motivation for weight loss that doesn't depend upon the numbers. Here's one. Simply use your head besides something to part your ears with. Don't overthink it. Take it back outside and blow the stink off. Stinkin' Thinkin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ4GRj2j1EY[/url]
  • luv2walk84
    luv2walk84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am here, just not posting much at all lately. Been suffering with some medical problems again lately, and trying to keep my focus postive. My weight loss as has stalled for a few weeks already, up and down tenths of pounds but the base number doesnt change. I blame this mostly on the change of syntroid, and then my other medical issues. Exercise is a complete no-go for me right now as well, so my weight loss is totally dependant on what I eat, etc. I figure one of these days it will kick in again for me and I will see the pounds start to come off. In the meantime I continue to log daily out here, and cope!
    Our trip earlier this month was cancelled, so now it looks like maybe next week instead... LIfe's fast merry go round spins on...
    Hotter than you know what here, so having to hybernate inside.
    Have a good Saturday everyone!
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    This looks like my kinda group!
    I'm also not interested in public challenges, when I challenge myself I hold myself accountable and don't feel the need to post my progress! I just like to chat to other people, offer support and make some friends.

So - I'm Andy, 34 from the UK. I've got 15lb more to lose and I've lost a total of 85lb over the last few years. Although I mention my weight I'm concentrating more on what my body can do and how it looks rather than what it weighs :)

I'm also a type 1 diabetic so that's an added challenge thrown in.

Thanks for making this group! I'll have a read through at everyone else's story later tonight.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody... I'm 38 from NY and a single mom of 2 boys. I am trying to develop some good habits and lose weight. I want to incorporate cardio and strength training (or I may switch to yoga instead. I'm not sure.) I am counting calories and trying to eat lots of protein and fruit and veggies.

I really want to lose weight and look and feel healthy, but even more than that I just want to build good habits into my life to help me be strong and fit and cope with everyday stresses. I'm very bad about consistency and I'm just trying to work on that. I have lost weight before but gradually gained it back, and I have never really been consistent with daily exercise.

I recently signed up and paid for a coach last week but the program involves buying more fitness equipment, some of which I don't like to use or know how to use, and probably isn't something I can afford long term. And then there is a whole bunch of waiting around and learning about the program before the actual exercise starts, and I ended up just not working out much this week. So I quit that, and I just need some accountability and motivation. This looked like a good thread for that. Feel free to friend me if you are in a similar situation.
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    Hey @luv2walk84 glad you are lurking and keeping up the good fight to better health, and it's stinking hot here too!
    Welcome to @bufger and I agree this is probably a great group for you and you will make a great pal for us as well. I for one can use all the wisdom and encouragement I can get. Type 1 Diabetes is a challenge for sure. I retired from a career in medical research a few years ago and most of my patients were dialysis dependent diabetics or kidney transplants, so I've seen up close and personal what a struggle that is!
    @Mari22na ROFL girl at old Rosanne Rosanne Adana! And she is so right! She is one of my alltime favs! And laughter is very good medicine!
    I've failed miserably today with fresh raw foods, because I took the easy route, but there is the rest of the day to get on track and maybe go for a dip in the pool to reset my lazy thinking and be the boss of me!
  • Diatonic12
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Bravo! More friends for the hitching post. I like to mill around and shoot the breeze. There's safety in numbers and there's nothing we can't do when we put our heads together. It's good medicine to bounce our thoughts off of each other's heads. I didn't know you were a medical researcher @campfirequeen1. That's frickity frick frick awesome. Ooo, boy, we can pull some things out of your brain. Let's keep tooling along. This is going to be fun. @shimmer_glo and @bufger and @luv2walk84, hold onto your hats. Hope you're UP for a rodeo. I lurve Toby Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQrapQ4d0Y[/url]
  • bufger
    Options
    Hi everybody... I'm 38 from NY and a single mom of 2 boys. I am trying to develop some good habits and lose weight. I want to incorporate cardio and strength training (or I may switch to yoga instead. I'm not sure.) I am counting calories and trying to eat lots of protein and fruit and veggies.

I really want to lose weight and look and feel healthy, but even more than that I just want to build good habits into my life to help me be strong and fit and cope with everyday stresses. I'm very bad about consistency and I'm just trying to work on that. I have lost weight before but gradually gained it back, and I have never really been consistent with daily exercise.

I recently signed up and paid for a coach last week but the program involves buying more fitness equipment, some of which I don't like to use or know how to use, and probably isn't something I can afford long term. And then there is a whole bunch of waiting around and learning about the program before the actual exercise starts, and I ended up just not working out much this week. So I quit that, and I just need some accountability and motivation. This looked like a good thread for that. Feel free to friend me if you are in a similar situation.

Hi @shimmer_glo , I'm a dad of two boys so I know how much work it is!

I would advise strength training , yoga and a bit of cardio. Your goal is to lose weight and all that is down to nutrition, the other things help but when taken with a different mindset (think about them as hobbies for life, not chores) you'll find they help with mental and physical condition.

My routine is a 1 hour yoga class per week to clear the mind and soul! Plus it's great training.

5 days of gym, 1 hour of strength training and 20 mins of cardio. The strength training for me is either kettle bell work or the big lifts (overhead press, squats, bench press, deadlifts). All of those are worth learning!

Because life is hectic I go to the gym really early before anyone else wakes up. As a single mom if your kids are really young that won't be an option but my advice is do it as early in the day as possible before you have the time to find excuses to talk your way out of it

Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • bufger
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome everyone.

It's 8.25pm here and I'm debating whether to go to bed or watch a movie ...
  • Diatonic12
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I just came back from wally world. I bought a digital food scale. I was looking at the body building supplements and drinks. I'm so relieved I didn't buy those because I read out there in the living room, the main forum, that those are waste of money. I have some hemp/rice protein powder that absolutely tastes like twigs, dirt and old pine cones. I was thinking I could use some of that fruit punch or blueberry flavored multi-cr@p to make it taste better. I don't know what to do with it. I'm not going to waste it. I guess I could make paste out of it and plaster a few walls with it. It's so awful. I won't buy that again.

I picked up few other assorted tiddlywinks. I thought about buying protein bars but I was overwhelmed with the choices. Oy vey. I did see more brands of hemp/rice protein powders all throughout the store. A tourist ran over the back of my leg with his cart. Tore the skin off the back of my foot. I turned around and asked him if he was really in that big of a hurry. It hurt like a sonuvagun. There was more I wanted to say but I held my peace until he was out of earshot.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    Have you ever tried Ruby Rockets. They're pretty good and that's what I settled on to add to my hemp/rice protein powder. I feel like it's a punishment rather than a pleasure. I'm not wasting it because it was $65 for 17 servings. That's right. I'm using Ruby Rockets as the antidote for the taste of dirt.

013cdd5ab53d3898e68dc02a7d3a.jpg.   Ruby Rockets are fruits and vege in a convenient tube.  Portable and doable.  I wanted something to mask the flavor of the hemp powder.  I won't be doing this again.   Forgive me, Positive Food Management Plan, I went against my better judgment and bought multi-cr@p that does not satisfy or sate.  My dog won't touch it and that's always a good indicator that it's not worth two hoots.  I do add vital proteins collagen peptides to my coffee.  My dog begs for those so they're copasinki. It's cooler today.  The temp dropped by about 20 degrees from yesterday.  That happens but I think this is a bizarre summer all the way around.Did you see the partial solar eclipse on Friday the 13th. The Lunar Eclipse is the bigger event on July 27th.
    A full moon eclipse for nearly an hour (43 minutes), which will be the longest total lunar eclipse of the century. The eclipse will be visible in a large part of the globe.

The century. We can't miss this.

The ebb and flow of the tides have a lorra lorra impact on the weather. Solar, lunar, earth's balance inspires me every day. Cyclones, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes.

Come back and inspire us with all of your good decisions. AH said something out there in the living room. That's what I call the main part of the forum. He said age has no bearing on the ability to release weight. I really like that. It's the kind of encouragement we all need when we think about long term success.

Quick and rapid weight loss doesn't impress me much. I actually cringe when someone says they're dropping it like it's hot. I think about the condition of their skin elasticity. You can only put your body through so many diets of overrestriction and rapid weight loss before it does not bounce back. Gentle changes for the permanent WIN.

I call tracking here my Positive Food Management Plan. Where are all the good decisions? Come inspire us.
    When we bounce our thoughts off one another, we rub off the rough edges for smooth sailing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ9tcyQZbK8[/url]
  • Diatonic12
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Eating. It. All. Back.

Rebound weight gain with friends.

Not once. Not one single time did the brain ever stop you during that process. Repeat weight loss customers. Know this going in. Your brain does not care if you eat it all back. Your brain does not care if you ever reach your optimum setpoint. Your brain doesn't care if you reach your dream weight. Your brain does not care.

Not one time during the eating it all back cycle did your brain ever alert you that you were in the process of eating it all back until you reached your highest weight with friends. Additional pounds on top of the original weight loss.

No, friends. The brain does not care.

You have got to keep your eye on the ball and that sneaky snake. Keep looking it directly in the eye every day or before you know it, you're right back on the trail to eating it all back. The brain does not care about you and me. But your spirit does. It's the best part of us. It cares and it is our best friend. It is the best friend we'll ever have. You may think someone else is your best friend but that's not really true. They cannot be with you 24 hours out of the day.

You have been you since your first breath until your last. Body. Mind. Spirit.

The body and mind are in cahoots with one another. They'll conspire and take potshots from across the bow. They may even call you names and mock you. Just look at what you've done to yourself, lard@SS. Yes, that's what sneaky snake says to me. But sneaky snake can be a real creep. You have to tell your brain to just shut the hail UP. Don't let the brain take you back to the unconscious mode of eating it all back on autopilot.

Fight.

Remember, not once did the brain ever help you or stop you while you were eating it all back. It didn't mock you or say one single word. No, it was happy because it was back in the driver's seat. Driving you and grinding you down back into the dirt. You cannot let that happen after a major weight releasing.

You've got to stay wide, wide awake. Contemplate the rest of your life. You're not going out like that.
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    I've been lurking but not posting because it takes time to sort through this brain for something to say that gets to the point and doesn't put y'all to sleep! LOL I'm not as focused as I need to be but I have an appointment with my Pulmonologist next week and I'm pretty sure he is going to say some things that will focus me more! Like you really don't want to be back where you were do you?
    For now I seem to be mostly interested in my PT and it's going really well. Say the Ortho doctor the other day and he was pleased. Said the hips are much slower recovering and it could be a 4 to 6 months treatment plan. Yesterday when I left PT they didn't have to ice me, so that is a great improvement! Small victories!
    Other new interest in my family ancestry. Dad's side has been done since I was a teen, so it's just a matter of updating it, but my mom's is difficult because I'm the oldest living member that gives a hoot or even seems to know anything!
    @mari22na I have friends visiting Yellowstone and told them you said Steamboat is showboating and they said they would definitely check it out! I love saying your ID name, or at least my interpretation of it! LOL
    Welcome to all the new folks! Have a great day!
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    @campfirequeen1 You've heard that Jackson Hole has a new crack. ;) I'm not making that UP. They're monitoring a crack above Hidden Falls near Jenny Lake.

http://jacksonhole.media/2018/07/scientists-monitor-hidden-falls-crack/

There's all of the uzhe = 'usual' fear mongering but we've actually had one of the highest snowfalls on record last winter. This happened in 2014, right out of JH but it was built right on the edge of hillside. Water does things like creating the Grand Canyon. No fear. Don't be scared. Be prepared.

140420_gma_franzen_0711_16x9_992.jpg.535739d989a5f.image.jpg.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ugW4-BstE[/url]

camp-fire-smiley.gif?1292867563[img]. Campfirequeens near and far: I hold these things to be self-evident. The question is life and death. I'm not asking you if life is being fair to you. This goes far deeper than that. You have got to unapologetically ignite a special fire in your soul. It's way more important than cholesterol, blood sugar, knees or joints. Are you satisfied? Do not go gentle into that good night. Old age should burn and rage at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Dylan Thomas. Written for his father. A robust man in his 80's became blind. Dylan did not want to see his father become discouraged. He was jacking his father UP to continue being the fierce man he had previously been. Rouse yourselves. Do not surrender to joints and decline that the normal aging process brings. Ahhhh, hail to the nooooo. Don't let your dreams and purpose and goals fade away. That happens when your spirit is tired. It's time to fold UP all of those walkers and fight off your children for trying to put you in a home or maybe they're after your money in the bank. You have already have a home. I study earthquakes and geysers. You need to shake off the gravitational force of your feelings. Ooooo, news flash. FAT is not a feeling. Don't say that to yourself anymore. "I feel fat". No. You are not going out like that. You have unfinished business. Never stop fighting for yourself. Your overall health and wellbeing must be a priority. Ignore all of the hollow boasts of the super ego. It lacks wisdom and substance. You all have a gift and you need to share it with us. Stay vitally alive. Stay alive until you are satisfied and way beyond that into your super duper old age. Much Love. Respectfully. Marina Light Your Fire. Stay Lit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_tuOS-iZ4[/url][/img]