Misleading food! What did you underestimate?

Options

Replies

• new_beth_2013
    new_beth_2013 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I always underestimate avocado. I can't eat just an 8th. I eat the whole darn thing.
  • new_beth_2013
    new_beth_2013 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    nutella...holy **** I could of had a candy bar for that many calories

^^This! But I still love nutella and eat it in moderation with graham crackers!

I cannot even purchase it. I have no self control.:ohwell:
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Last night shopping... bottle of water, 750 mls, with a touch of lemon and lime. I had drank half of it, when I noticed the label. 177 calories in the whole bottle. Luckily I had only drank half of it. But still, 177 calories, flavoured water? Are you for real?

This!

And also cordial. I realised that Bottlegreen elderflower cordial is 29kcal per 100ml diluted. It Doesn't sound like much, but when I drink three large glasses per day to keep from being dehydrated that added up to more than 300kcal from the cordial alone!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Next time you go try getting the Whole Wheat pancakes with blueberries with sugar free syrup. 4 huge pancakes that make me so full I almost bust for about 500 calories.

that chit is so nasty- I tried them once- they were so bad I told the girl how awful they were (we are regulars so when she asked if it was okay- I was like dude- these are awful- never serve them to anyone again- they taste terrible)

she felt so bad for me she took my whole meal off and brought me a whole new stack of pancakes.

God- NEVER AGAIN.

if I want to eat pancakes- I'll eat the real damn thing- none of this fake crap.

(well I don't eat pancakes- I only order blueberry ones and pick the blueberries out- I get my blueberries and just a hint of pancakes- win win for me)
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Baklava (sp?) A missionary at our church was handing out sample the size of a small tootsie roll. I looked on the box afterward to see it had 170 calories! I thought it would be around 50 :(
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Before I knew better I didn't think muffins were that bad, especially if they were fruit muffins.

You are better off eating a cupcake :(

Muffins are probably one of the foods I underestimate the most too.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Anyone who's weird like me who tend to underestimate "cold dishes"?

Somehow when I eat a piece of beef that's part of a cold dish, I feel there's less calorie in that piece of beef than if it was served hot...
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A kinda random one for me is non dairy creamer (the powdered stuff). A teaspoon is tiny and barely colors the darn coffee! I know that it won't make much of a difference if I'm eating a little under, but underestimating that (I drink A LOT of coffee) could end up being a problem if I'm using 5 teaspoons (50 cals) in each cup and have like 4 cups LOL. I am soooo tempted to carry a tablespoon and a teaspoon around with me at all times!

Breakfast cereal is another horrible one...the serving size is soooo tiny compared to what I normally eat! Also pretty much any restaurant meal...even if it looks or sounds healthy they put so much CRAP in it they can screw up anything!
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    IHOP puts pancake batter in their omelettes to fluff them up which is part of why the calorie count is so high. ;-)
  • Nouurann
    Nouurann Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Next time you go try getting the Whole Wheat pancakes with blueberries with sugar free syrup. 4 huge pancakes that make me so full I almost bust for about 500 calories.

I'd never think pancakes have less calories than eggs D:.
  • girlinagirdle
    girlinagirdle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Orange juice!! It's oranges. It's juice. It's really not worth it.

Which is quite sad really because I love it. I used to drink loads of it and I had no idea I was wasting 300 + a day on it.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    IHOP puts pancake batter in their omelettes to fluff them up which is part of why the calorie count is so high. ;-)

eeek so lots of carbs when thinking it's just protein and fat lol
  • andresconejo
    Options
    Meat, mango, ppineapple and fruit juices
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Bean and Cheese Burrito from Alberto's. I figured, harmless right? WRONG! I almost fainted when I saw it was 1020 calories and 2250 of soduim! :noway:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    IHOP has a lower calorie menu that serves fresh fruit as a side and the egg beaters omelets. You can be careful in IHOP.

The Harvest Grain and Nut pancakes are better than the whole wheat ones.

The serving size of those flavored International Delights coffee creamers shocks me. 2 tablespoons is 70 calories. I've started adding these to my morning coffee as a way to add calories to the day, measure it out, and am shocked every time.
  • drumerley
    drumerley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I over or underestimate here, but rice is hard for me to log since it's typicaly based on dry rice... who eats dry rice? LOL. Any suggestions on how to calculate? I guess it depends on how much water and how long the rice is cooked. :grumble: I'm on rice eating strike.

It's also hard for me to log Indian food... there are so many spices and a lack of nutrition info available online.

Exactly, same with couscous, measures dry but the box ends up making enough for a week!

Rice & couscous are easy if you go by dry weight. A typical serving is 60 grams (a bit over 2 oz). That's a bit under 1/3 of a cup (dry cous cous / rice). Then you just cook that, and eat it. Yes, the 60-65 grams of uncooked stuff looks ridiculous, but most people simply are used to having 2-3 servings.

Anecdote time: a couple of friends invited us over for dinner. Second course was pasta. Typical box/bag of pasta is 500 gr (which I basically call 8 servings). They typically eat a whole box between the two of them. Ok, he trains for triathlon, but that box is 1900 calories!

(Edited to not repeat myself)

You can also measure out the servings before, for example 2 servings dry. Cook it, then weigh or measure the whole thing after and divide it by 2!
  • rlp1975
    rlp1975 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know! I started weighing it! WTF! Very surprised!
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I believe that IHOP uses pancake batter in their omelets.... or so the rumor goes?!
  • ElikaCousland
    ElikaCousland Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I always underestimate avocado. I can't eat just an 8th. I eat the whole darn thing.

QFT. Who eats 1/8 of an avocado in a sitting? It'll turn brown before you get through it.

I always underestimate the half & half/milk I put in my coffee if I don't measure it. You'd think after drinking it every morning I'd be able to eyeball by now, but alas. Any condiment, especially ketchup or mayonnaise. Olive oil. Okay pretty much anything that has to be measured by tablespoon, I'm the worst.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    My friends and I were out all night driving home, and decided to stop at Ihop. Not the healthiest choice :P. phone was dead so no mfp D:. So I chose a GARDEN OMLETTE. Literally, tomatoes, peppers, onions mushrooms and cheddar...so i got home and checked....how is that 920 calories?! Crazy. I thought maybe 500 calories and that was pushing it. What are some foods you underestimated?

An Ihop omelet got me too - until I read the description and figured out why it was so high. They put pancake batter in the eggs to make the omelet light and fluffy. TOTAL SABOTAGE!!!