Feel like diets won't ever work

Options
elliejayneday132
elliejayneday132 Posts: 12 Member
edited June 2018 in Getting Started
Right, I feel like a fat potato! Doesn't seem my diet (healthy eating) is working....i feel miserable!
Anyone else feel this way?

[edited by mods]

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    I got fat eating healthy foods. It was easy. Then I got thin again. It was simple (not always easy).

Eat foods you enjoy, in appropriate quantities. From foods you enjoy, choose the ones you find most filling and tasty for the calories you have to spend on them. Strive to combine them in ways that create well-rounded nutrition most of the time. That will work.

Weird diets where you eat in ways you don't enjoy to punish yourself for losing weight, or redeem your sin of having gained too much weight? Those don't work, at least not for long.

You can find a route that works. Best wishes!
  • elliejayneday132
    elliejayneday132 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Literally finding it so difficult to budge the weight...i injured my knee last year stopping my nans dog getting humped and fell down a hole. So workout is abit impossible with my knee (waiting on surgery)
    I eat healthy and have stuff in moderation but it's not helping 😒 I've tried all sorts of diets and nothing worked.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Literally finding it so difficult to budge the weight...i injured my knee last year stopping my nans dog getting humped and fell down a hole. So workout is abit impossible with my knee (waiting on surgery)
    I eat healthy and have stuff in moderation but it's not helping 😒 I've tried all sorts of diets and nothing worked.

As I said above, you don’t have to workout to lose weight. Get a food scale, weigh everything you eat on it, and log those amounts in MFP, making sure you’re in a calorie deficit.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

I'm waiting on a double knee replacement at the end of the year..... bad knees don't make workouts impossible, you just need to be more creative. :)

As mentioned above, diets don't work, motivation is fleeting, creating new habits take time.

But................ if you start by purchasing a food scale (they aren't expensive), weigh and log your food every day and stick to MFP's daily calorie limit it gives you when you load your stats............. you WILL lose weight.

Commit to one month..... that's just 30 days! Trust in the process and you will create new habits that will last long after the motivation wears off!!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet. Secondly, you have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. Healthy eating can mean eating just as many calories of different foods. Weigh and measure everything that passes your lips and log it all, honestly. It is hard but believe me, a few weeks in and you'll be seeing progress.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Have you tried determining an appropriate calorie target based on the amount of weight you want to lose and logging all the foods you eat, ideally with a food scale for accuracy?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options

as others have mentioned, have you tried weighing/measuring the food and logging to see what the calories works out to? I know what I thought/felt was a "moderate portion" was wayyy off. especially once i measured it on a scale.

"Healthy" foods can add up to many calories. Nuts are a good example of a healthy good food but it adds up in calories very fast.
  • dsproffitt
    dsproffitt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    At the end of every day, when you complete your diary on here, is it less than you are given?
    If it is, then in theory you lose weight.
    If you cheat, then why bother?
    You are only cheating your self

You hurt your knee. Go swimming.
    Lose weight = eat less + move more
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

Eating healthy or dieting does nothing without a calorie deficit. Use the free tools that MFP gives you, log everything that you eat or drink daily and stay within the calorie goal it sets for you and the weight loss will happen. No amount of silly diets will work unless what you're eating is less than what your body burns in a day.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    See if you can do some upper body exercises with weights while seated. I've been through knee surgery on both sides and know it sucks. If you get some dumbbells you can do an upper body workout. Not that this is going to burn massive calories but it helps to cut down on any muscle atrophy from inactivity while awaiting surgery. Muscle tissue burns more calories.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your knee! I'm just coming back from a knee injury myself. Restricted activity levels make things harder, but there's still plenty you can do.

Stop with the diets and start measuring and accurately logging your food to eat the calories MFP gives you for your daily goal. This is really all you need to do.

Then if you want a few more calories, and to stay healthy, you can exercise within your limitations. All kinds of arm, back, and abs routines are possible with a knee injury! If you don't have access to special equipment you can fill water bottles and use them as dumbbells. Depending on what exactly is up with your knee there may be some activities which won't aggravate it.

There was a guy who posted earlier this month who is in a wheelchair and lost more than a hundred pounds without being able to exercise, just by counting calories. It does work! I had to stop lower body exercise for a couple of months when my knee was injured and lost half a pound a week during that time just by eating slightly under maintenance. You can do this.