Stopped logging for 2 months and gained 10 pounds

Options
2»

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I also start the portion size creep. Then I stop logging and guesstimate it. Feeling I’ve gained a little I weigh myself, and have. But then there’s the next dinner out and it’s so yummy, so I decide I’ll just not log it because it’ll be inaccurate ( ie I ate way too much and don’t want to itemize it) and I’ll weigh myself tomorrow, which I don’t. By a month later I’ve gained 4 pounds. Or worse, two months later I’ve gained 8 pounds. It’s amazing how well I can do this program, and how quickly I can be in denial. Since it starts with me getting lax on week one, not week 8, my goal is to gain a pound if week 1 happens, but not have anymore weeks. My real goal is to not stop logging ever, but that’s a little frightening!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Good for you for coming back before it got out of control.

Hey, I'm 44, have been tracking my calorie intake in some shape or another for close to 20 years...but have also stayed within a 10 lb range my whole adult life. Some people are just not good at "eyeballing" a serving. I need some structure to keep me away from foods I'd inhale otherwise. That being said, would rather deal with the burden of tracking than the burden of unwanted pounds...though I'm always a little envious of people who are "naturally thin" or "intuitively eat" etc.!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I also start the portion size creep. Then I stop logging and guesstimate it. Feeling I’ve gained a little I weigh myself, and have. But then there’s the next dinner out and it’s so yummy, so I decide I’ll just not log it because it’ll be inaccurate ( ie I ate way too much and don’t want to itemize it) and I’ll weigh myself tomorrow, which I don’t. By a month later I’ve gained 4 pounds. Or worse, two months later I’ve gained 8 pounds. It’s amazing how well I can do this program, and how quickly I can be in denial. Since it starts with me getting lax on week one, not week 8, my goal is to gain a pound if week 1 happens, but not have anymore weeks. My real goal is to not stop logging ever, but that’s a little frightening!

Are you speaking of an 4lb overall weight gain, or a trending? Sorry, I am a curious little kitten.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I think I will probably be logging in some shape or form for the rest of my life.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    wenrob wrote: »
    If I’m not logging I need to be weighing myself on a regular basis. If I’m not weighing myself it’s because I KNOW I’m eating too much. It’s this weird form of denial that I’m totally aware of. Ideally I need to be doing both but if I’m not feeling logging keeping an eye on the scale has to happen. Otherwise, for me, it’s a downhill slide.

This is how I am. I have to have at least one check and balance in place. If I quit logging AND weighing it's easy to not hold myself accountable to what I'm consuming. Otherwise its "What the scale doesn't know won't hurt. C'mon, EAT IT. You know you want it"

I haven't been logging in over a month, but I have been weighing a few times a week to keep an eye on it. I'm currently at a plateau. Or maintenance practice depending on how you look at it. After this month is over( My July is insane.) I think I am going to get back at logging in August so the scale gets moving again.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I too will always log food. When I intuitively eat without logging, I feel like I'm driving blindfolded.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    fiddletime wrote: »

Are you speaking of an 4lb overall weight gain, or a trending? Sorry, I am a curious little kitten.

I gained 20 pounds back a few years ago, then ten pounds last year, and 6 pounds this year. Each time I lost it again. This time I almost considered it maintenance, except for the fact that I’m 63 and 5’2” and 6 # is a lot on me. It trended up....and up, not a one shot higher water weight thing.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Same here. Stopped consistently weighing food/logging for 2+ months - not because I was at goal weight but because my work/travel schedule got crazy. And 10-ish lbs is back on in a flash. Sigh. I know better. Back at it. We can do this!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    wenrob wrote: »
    If I’m not logging I need to be weighing myself on a regular basis. If I’m not weighing myself it’s because I KNOW I’m eating too much. It’s this weird form of denial that I’m totally aware of. Ideally I need to be doing both but if I’m not feeling logging keeping an eye on the scale has to happen. Otherwise, for me, it’s a downhill slide.

This describes me exactly. I’ve been maintaining ~30 years, which to my mind is essentially regaining and relosing the last 5lb repeatedly. I slack off, and the scale goes up. Never down. Then it’s time to tighten up the logging. Rinse, repeat. Speaking personally, I would like to eat more than I need to maintain just about every day. I definitely would like another glass of wine after I’ve already had what I had calories for. I guess if 2/3 of Americans are overweight, there are a lot of us who like eating more than we need to maintain. Don’t feel bad, OP. You learned something valuable before you gained very much.
  • Jams29
    Jams29 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Me too!