lets discuss that friend who eats whatever they want..

Options

Replies

• Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    One of my really good friends is like this, but I feel sorry for her! She's a bean pole and can never gain weight. She hates it because people either A. make a comment about how thin she is and *assume* she has an eating problem, or B. when she eats comment on how can she eat like that and be so skinny. She's very self-conscious about her weight...or lack thereof.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    you people do realize that I basically said "you're wrong" to everyone who says they have that friend that can eat whatever they want and stay lean/healthy right?

just wanted to be clear here.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    you people do realize that I basically said "you're wrong" to everyone who says they have that friend that can eat whatever they want and stay lean/healthy right?

Yes, Professor Noob. We know . . .
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I come across as "that friend" however, I educated myself on what fueling your body is and also move weight on a daily basis. My maintenance is somewhere between 2200-2400 calories. I would like to up that though. IIFYM all the way.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

you people are not part of that "you people".

You people should know better than those people when we people post things like this.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I work very hard to be "that friend."

Oh yeah!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I wrestled that tall skinny kid once. He was a ginger and he had ginger strength and wound up kicking my *kitten*. :sad:
    This might have been my husband. He's a ginger, and wrestled. He's not that tall, 5'10" these days he weighs 155 (I think he wrestled at like 135 though), and has had ever present 6 pack abs since I met him.

He eats loads of cake and burgers and fries but honestly he does eat very healthy most of the time, if you count tons of peanut butter and bread as "very healthy"! But he eats lots of fruit and due to my influence has been eating a salad every day but still he splurges whenever he wants to splurge and has never has to worry about his weight since he wrestled in high school and was trying to cut and that doesn't really count if you ask me!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

you people are not part of that "you people".

You people should know better than those people when we people post things like this.

Wait! *waiving hand in the air*

Are we talking about those people or "thooooose people?"
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I have a friend like that, but she eats really really slow, small portions and hits the gym.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Even though I used to be 40% body fat, I have apparently become "that friend" to a number of people. I post pictures of my Pop-tart ice cream sandwiches, pretzel double cheeseburgers, and waffle chicken tenders to Facebook all the time.

People also notice on FB that I'm lean and in great shape. Many of them have apparently decided I can "eat whatever I want" and stay thin. Go figure. I even have FB friends that are working hard and losing weight but are still convinced that bowl of ice cream will make them fat, even if they have 1000 calories left before they hit that day's calorie goal.

Moral of the story: "that friend" doesn't exist.

So I'm your imaginary friend? No crown for you!
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My friend from high school who ate whatever she wanted, was a size 9/10 and taller. Now, she's 33 and a size 18/20 and still thinks she can eat whatever she wants.

It catches up. Don't be jealous.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    And stays skinny/lean/healthy.

The ones I've personally observed are either very tall, don't eat very often so you watch them pig out when you see them eat with you, exercise a lot, play sports, or basicall I would just admit that I didn't see enough of their day to accurately get an idea of what they "really" do.

So in almost every case something's covered on eat less, move more.

Not true. My flatmate's daily exercise consists of 20 minutes of walking to and from the station each day, he won't touch food with any nutritional value and routinely piles through 5,000+ cals in a day of pure junk, never gains a pound. His free time is either spent drinking in bars or sitting at home gaming. And I live with him and have done for three years so I see all of his day, he hasn't fluctuated more than a pound or two in either direction in that time. Some people are just like that. I used to be jealous. I've now stopped being jealous. In some ways having to work for it makes it all the more satisfying. Sure, sometimes it would be nice to be able to pig out for a week and not worry about any consequences, but I do and I've adapted to that. Being bitter will only slow me down.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have apparently become "that ****" to a number of people. I post pictures of my food to Facebook all the time.

IFYP.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am that friend as long as I get some sort of daily exercise, I am also 5'11 so I am rather tall. So I think for me exercise is key.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My mother was that person. Super small and ate whatever she wanted through MOST of her adult life. Then came menopause. I guess her metabolism slowed down. She still isn't big but now has a small "pooch" around the mid-section where she had never had one before. She also has issues with high blood pressure and high cholesterol due to the carelessness of her diet. Those issues have come about within the last couple of years which proves a point. Even if you are small and can "technically" eat what you want to without fear of gaining weight, there are other factors to consider. Not eating healthy/overeating can manifest itself in a variety of ways.

BTW, did I inherit my mom's genes??? Heck no! I probably still weigh more than she does but that's the hand I've been dealt and I am resigned to taking good care of myself from here forward. No high BP and cholesterol for me if I can help it!
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Eating whatever you want and being thin does not equate to being healthy. Being in the field of clinical nutrition, I've seen more than my share of ill health. I myself had cancer twice, then landed in the hospital with one of the worst cases of Ulcerative Colitis the doctors had ever seen. All while being thin (and eating whatever I wanted, in whatever quantities I wanted.) Eating foods that nourish and FEED the body result in good health (and a healthy weight). Most of us have cravings. Bottom line: The more we make better choices and eat WHOLE FOODs, the healthier our outcome. Hippocrates once stated, "Let food be thy medicine." Each day, just work on making better choices and stop being envious of those that supposedly are "blessed" with eating anything and everything - because, they really can't get away with it. Whether now or in the future, ill health is awaiting...
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    From my experience either those people aren't eating as much as you think or are more active than you think. From my observation a lot of time it's the former. I've known quite a few people who skip meals for various reasons or have small "diet" meals all day long (100 calorie yogurt and a pack of cracker type girls) who then pig out at dinner.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am that friend. I even got tagged in that meme on fb recently. Actually being accused of this is what got me counting calories in the first place because I don't like to be accused of not knowing what I eat. On closer inspection, it turns out a eat a normal amount of food for someone at my size and activity level. Weird, huh?
  • new_beth_2013
    new_beth_2013 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I wrestled that tall skinny kid once. He was a ginger and he had ginger strength and wound up kicking my *kitten*. :sad:

Gingers = scary. You should have just forfeited.

Well I know that now!

carrottop.jpg

Ill never make that mistake again. Especially since he started lifting after that.

{{shudder}}
    this face can never be unseen :noway:
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few of those. And it really stinks. But I have learned I will never be one of them.

ETA: the reason, genetics (according to my doctor). She said I couldn't eat whatever I wanted and expect results but didn't explain what I couldn't eat. She thinks something is wrong with my hormones. But I am okay with never being skinny.

Will I ever be fit? Hoping to be.

Will I ever be healthy? I'm trying.