Who else is "enjoying" the exceptionally hot and humid weather gracing the US Midwest this weekend?

Options
13»

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Sami488 wrote: »
    I find it hard to feel any sympathy whilst I’m here in South Georgia and the heat index is currently 94 degrees at 8:45 at night. And it’s been cloudy all day.

I'm not sure what you think Midwesterners think is unpleasant, but the heat index is currently 101 degrees just before 8 PM so 94 sounds like an improvement to me!

But do you have mosquitoes??

Oh, we are well known for our mosquitoes. 10k lakes you end up with a lot of standing water. Don’t get me wrong, I love where I’ve chosen to live, but having been so recently reminded what temperate weather really feels like (I was raised in Northern California) and coming back to this with no central air is rough - I work from home, so not being able to leave the one room with a window unit has me chewing the walls. I’ve heard that this kind of heat and humidity is much more common in the South and I don’t envy you at all. I’m hoping for a mild winter in exchange for this summer garbage.

Oh no. I’ve been contemplating where to move in the future and I may have to rule out the Midwest. I most certainly want to be somewhere without mosquitoes!! I have had enough! We southerners like to complain about the heat all summer but as soon as winter comes and it drops to around 50 we start whining about the cold!

Come to Southern California! Even in summer, if it hits 90 during the day it’ll still be in the 60’s at night. Moderate weather year-round, great for hiking and outdoor adventures. Especially since the native SoCal folks think “winter” is too cold to be outside. I haven’t worn my winter coat since I moved here.

And the snow is only a short drive away! (And the beach is even closer!)
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow high of the day is 99° and 56% humidity!! In NY of all places :'( !

I definitely miss having AC, as atm it is 86.9 in my apartment and it only got up to 92 today

Hoping to get in a walk and horse riding before 10:30 tomorrow
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I find it hard to feel any sympathy whilst I’m here in South Georgia and the heat index is currently 94 degrees at 8:45 at night. And it’s been cloudy all day.

I'm not sure what you think Midwesterners think is unpleasant, but the heat index is currently 101 degrees just before 8 PM so 94 sounds like an improvement to me!

But do you have mosquitoes??

When I lived in Oklahoma we called them the state bird. :lol:

We like that joke in Minnesota, too. Apparently it’s a popular bird!

I was so close to spending another day hiding indoors, but I ovaried up and went for a mile run following by a half hour lifting weights in my basement, where no one cares if I sweat all over the equipment. And believe you me, it was sweaty as heck, but I did it! It feels like the heat is breaking a little but there are thunderstorms on the forecast, so the next few days might be touch and go.