Who else is "enjoying" the exceptionally hot and humid weather gracing the US Midwest this weekend?

Options
mkculs
mkculs Posts: 316 Member
Just thought I'd see how everyone is handling it, esp. if you walk/run/bike, etc., outdoors.

I'm getting up and out early tomorrow and it will still be really tough, but worth it.

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO is how I'm enjoying it. :(

I got back from a five day trip to the Pacific Northwest a couple of days ago and am seriously bummed out about this weather. I got a three mile run in by getting up around 6:00 this morning and then I felt asleep again for about three hours. I've tried running in the evenings before but the bugs bum me out and since I run in a city I worry about visibility (not that it'll matter today since it's supposed to be in the high 80s until 1 am). It's supposed to be 79 degrees at 6:00 tomorrow morning so we will see how that goes.
  • Sami488
    Sami488 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to feel any sympathy whilst I’m here in South Georgia and the heat index is currently 94 degrees at 8:45 at night. And it’s been cloudy all day.
  • mram3582
    mram3582 Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    I live in GA too. I just go exercise early in the morning or late at night. We're use to heat and humidity....SUPER GLAD I WASN'T STUPID ENOUGH TO MOVE TO ARIZONA!! Good luck with that 120 heat index...no rain for 90 days...yeah. Here we have 100 degrees and then a monsoon between 3-7pm which usually cools it to about 80 just in time for bed time.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @Sami488 I’m planning my run for tomorrow, very early, when our heat index drops from 101 :)

Then I’ll be getting ready to spend July in . . . FLORIDA! Yes, I’m a reverse snowbird aka “idiot.” Haha. But my very elderly folks are there so I go.

@FL_Hiker I started running after dark a lot when I’m down there once I realized it is no cooler in the am.

Be smart, folks, with water, shade, and a/c.

—I’ll take this over frigid weather any day!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I’m on the east coast and it scorches here too. Supposed to be around 100 for the next several days. I will work out inside and then enjoy our pool. We have a canopy over part of it so I can get out of the sun some. I love being able to cut the grass and then jump in there!
  • Sami488
    Options
    mram3582 wrote: »
    our meteorologists just roll dice and cast the bones to get our forecast in GA....85 degrees and sunny, followed by some light icing and a hurricane in the mix today....slight possibility of a sharknado later this evening.

If this ain’t the truth.
  • Sami488
    Options
    Sami488 wrote: »
    I find it hard to feel any sympathy whilst I’m here in South Georgia and the heat index is currently 94 degrees at 8:45 at night. And it’s been cloudy all day.

I'm not sure what you think Midwesterners think is unpleasant, but the heat index is currently 101 degrees just before 8 PM so 94 sounds like an improvement to me!

But do you have mosquitoes??
  • Sami488
    Options
    And then there’s this. Is this just southern women?
    ph2zsbvfo0sw.jpeg
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Get out early, get out often. Hugs
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm a bit of a wuss about it. Got out 2 mornings this week around 6 am to walk/jog around the neighborhood my usual daily pass, no big thing (2 mile stretch). But beyond that haven't done much. Actually walked at the mall tonight. haha
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options

I'm not sure what you think Midwesterners think is unpleasant, but the heat index is currently 101 degrees just before 8 PM so 94 sounds like an improvement to me!

Oh, we are well known for our mosquitoes. 10k lakes you end up with a lot of standing water. Don’t get me wrong, I love where I’ve chosen to live, but having been so recently reminded what temperate weather really feels like (I was raised in Northern California) and coming back to this with no central air is rough - I work from home, so not being able to leave the one room with a window unit has me chewing the walls. I’ve heard that this kind of heat and humidity is much more common in the South and I don’t envy you at all. I’m hoping for a mild winter in exchange for this summer garbage.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    So jealous of you guys right now.... I’m in the Southern Hemisphere and it’s COLD!!! Woke up the other morning to -1deg Celsius (about 30deg Fahrenheit I think), and spent ages de-icing my car windshield so I could see to drive to work. That’s pretty cold for where I live, as we don’t get snow.
    Our winters are usually pretty mild, but we’ve already had some record-setting temperatures for my country this winter, I believe.

I’m in about 4 layers each day just now, so the heat sounds like a distant dream (although can keep your 101.... I’m not crazy enough to want that sort of heat!!! 😜)

It’s really all relative, isn’t it? I suppose that’s the thing about living in a place that hits both sides of the extremes - we really appreciate those ten perfect days a year. It’s just too bad three of them were in February this year. I didn’t have the courage to run on the ice last winter, but maybe this year!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Morning and evening activity, and running on a shaded path.
  • mram3582
    mram3582 Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Yeah, really can't complain....I don't live on top of a (known) active volcano. Godzilla is in Tokyo and the last known location of the Graboids (critters from "Tremors") was north of the arctic circle somewhere. So yeah, I'm good.
  • Sami488
    Options

Oh, we are well known for our mosquitoes. 10k lakes you end up with a lot of standing water. Don’t get me wrong, I love where I’ve chosen to live, but having been so recently reminded what temperate weather really feels like (I was raised in Northern California) and coming back to this with no central air is rough - I work from home, so not being able to leave the one room with a window unit has me chewing the walls. I’ve heard that this kind of heat and humidity is much more common in the South and I don’t envy you at all. I’m hoping for a mild winter in exchange for this summer garbage.

Oh no. I’ve been contemplating where to move in the future and I may have to rule out the Midwest. I most certainly want to be somewhere without mosquitoes!! I have had enough! We southerners like to complain about the heat all summer but as soon as winter comes and it drops to around 50 we start whining about the cold!
  • iotterbeinbed
    iotterbeinbed Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Iowa here! "Felt like 103" with 60% humidity.... more like the fires of hell. I danced my awkward butt off with Just Dance on my wii in the air conditioning.