Eating Style

Options
caco_ethes
caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
The ‘wings on a first date’ thread has me wondering.. what is your normal eating style (as opposed to your first date eating style).

Also, moderators, I apologize in advance. This topic is definitely fraught..

So be good, everyone! Try to dodge the low hanging fruit.

Replies

• caco_ethes
    Options
    I feel like people think it’s an easy leap to correlate how they eat their food with how carefree they are in bed. Can we table that for now so people don’t all feel the need to prove how rabid they are with their food? :smirk:
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    I realized after the first date thread that while I’m less hungry on a first date, I don’t eat differently. I may be more worried about something getting stuck in my teeth, but I eat the same. I’m a careful eater. I don’t enjoy huge bites. I hate food on my face and fingers. So, yes, I probably would eat wings carefully. But I’d do that if I was alone too.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just go with the flow. Normally Im a fork and knife try not to make a mess kind of gal. But for wings, pizza, or other food that is meant to be messy I just embrace the mess. Grab a stack of napkins and enjoy. Hit the bathroom for handwashing after if needed.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Sometimes I'm feeling particularly languid and will only nibble a bit, but in every case I'm the slowest eater ever. Like how does a person nurse a plate that long? If the server brings me extra portions I'll just poke at my food until I'm done.

I’m a slow eater too, it’s annoying. If I’m eating with other people I always feel a little rushed.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    I just go with the flow. Normally Im a fork and knife try not to make a mess kind of gal. But for wings, pizza, or other food that is meant to be messy I just embrace the mess. Grab a stack of napkins and enjoy. Hit the bathroom for handwashing after if needed.

I hate the mess enough that it actually makes me dislike the food itself. I don’t enjoy corn on the cob because I associate it with stuff in my teeth and butter on my face. I love the taste of it, I just hate the method of delivery. Same with ribs and wings. I usually sit there and dissect them with a fork, no wonder I’m a slow eater.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    It depends on the food. Sometimes I savor it and sometimes I devour it.

When on dates or evenout with people I rarely see I barely eat. It is because there should be good conversation going and even if I am not the one talking I feel it is rude to cram my face with food while the other person is and looking right at my face.

Same here. I would enjoy going for coffee or dessert or something but if I sit down for a huge meal with someone I haven’t seen in a while, it’s going to be largely wasted.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

I hate the mess enough that it actually makes me dislike the food itself. I don’t enjoy corn on the cob because I associate it with stuff in my teeth and butter on my face. I love the taste of it, I just hate the method of delivery. Same with ribs and wings. I usually sit there and dissect them with a fork, no wonder I’m a slow eater.

Hate messes, hate extra stuff, how did you survive kids!?
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

Hate messes, hate extra stuff, how did you survive kids!?

I was never meant to have kids, I’m afraid :joy:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I don't take huge bites or wolf down my food, but I find that I DO eat more quickly than a lot of people (particularly females who are older than me). Some friends/family, mostly female, eat very slowly and will totally stop eating and just sit for a long time during a meal occasion w/o touching their food. I feel very strange and unnatural doing that and also hate for my food to get cold. I would rather eat, with small pauses, and then sit and talk to others even if it means I finished well before they did. Then I'll just drink water and focus on listening to others talking. I do everything VERY fast such as walking, typing, etc...so it's not surprising that I eat pretty quickly.

I think I am fairly civilized, don't eat with my hands very much, etc. I tend to eat one category of food at a time, no mixing. I don't mind if foods touch but I usually focus on 1 item at a time. On a first date, I don't think I really ate that differently. Even when I was very heavy, I typically just ordered a reasonable, middle of the road entree (not a salad, not a $37 steak) and ate it. Maybe a LITTLE more slowly than my usual pace but that's it.

One of my friends eats "normally" but then she will LICK her fingers at the table. I have only seen in her do this in places like fast food or fast casual, not in a "real" restaurant, but it's still SO disgusting and I am not the type to usually pay a lot of attention to others' table manners so believe me it is noticeable. Gag!
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    I get grossed out by really fast eaters. Dude, you are winging food at your mouth so fast that it is splashing on your shirt, good lord!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    meal time is about the approach:

tenor.gif?itemid=7211171
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,846 Member
    Options
    It depends on who did the cooking. If anyone other than me does, I eat very carefully and slowly, because you never know what might be in there. And there's some people that I won't eat anything at all they fix because I'm not certain about their hygiene. I try not to think about that when I'm out to eat.

I also have to eat one thing at a time, and if anything touches something else on my plate, that area will not be eaten.

And if I have to sit around toddlers eating, my appetite will be gone, and I won't be eating anything at all.

So who wants to go to lunch with me? :)

• Sami488
    Sami488 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I feel like I’m a pretty fast eater when compared to other women. Most men I’ve found eat at about the same pace or slightly faster. Not sure what this says about me, but hey it’s the truth.
  • Mazda_Mx5
    Mazda_Mx5 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    This pretty much sums it up for me.

xjh17keaorgo.gif
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Mazda_Mx5 wrote: »
    This pretty much sums it up for me.

xjh17keaorgo.gif

:joy:
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    3ygv80si9tkf.gif

Omg I want him
  • bhadbahabi
    bhadbahabi Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow eater or possibly just always hanging out with fast eaters. I can even have a head start and still finish last. I like to taste everything individually first and then mix a bit of everything in one bite. Rotate that method. I save my favorite thing on the plate for the very last bite.
  • 2VORNT2V
    2VORNT2V Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Like a horse at a trough. Not a pig though.