Eating Style

Options

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    bhadbahabi wrote: »
    I'm a slow eater or possibly just always hanging out with fast eaters. I can even have a head start and still finish last. I like to taste everything individually first and then mix a bit of everything in one bite. Rotate that method. I save my favorite thing on the plate for the very last bite.

I swear we share a brain

And an arm
  • bhadbahabi
    bhadbahabi Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I'm a slow eater or possibly just always hanging out with fast eaters. I can even have a head start and still finish last. I like to taste everything individually first and then mix a bit of everything in one bite. Rotate that method. I save my favorite thing on the plate for the very last bite.

I swear we share a brain

And an arm

We both know that I'm just your other account.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I swear we share a brain

And an arm

We both know that I'm just your other account.

This is why I love you so, so much now shut it
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The ‘wings on a first date’ thread has me wondering.. what is your normal eating style (as opposed to your first date eating style).

Also, moderators, I apologize in advance. This topic is definitely fraught..

So be good, everyone! Try to dodge the low hanging fruit.

People I've dined with have actually shared how self-conscious they get with how I am naturally (as is my sister), when working what is my normal eating style - very proper. Since - I've learnt to relax my style in the company of others. Amongst friends and family - they're used to it, granted friends sometimes mimick either of us (timing), highlighting how uncomfortable it is for them to do exactly as we do it with such ease. Over the years, I've learnt to let the mockery go. Probably is another reason, I favour casual dining amongst some friends. For some deboning is a big to do and I'm okay with that, for I don't critique their eating styles. They however - one person minimum will spotlight us - Zeroing in on our eating style or our English accent mimicking HM. This has been my American experience. I've adapted and I'm quick to brush it off. Not that it doesn't surprise me each time it occurs.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    I get grossed out by really fast eaters. Dude, you are winging food at your mouth so fast that it is splashing on your shirt, good lord!

Then you'll probably not want to eat with me. I'm a clean eater, don't like messes and is generally why I avoid much the same foods as you: bone-in wings, corn on the cob, ribs, etc. But, I have generally been a fast eater because I think the act of eating (food prep, sitting down to eat, etc) is simply a waste of time unless in a social environment. Add to it, that Marine boot camp reinforced the idea of "eat now, taste later".

• caco_ethes
    Options
    I get grossed out by really fast eaters. Dude, you are winging food at your mouth so fast that it is splashing on your shirt, good lord!

Then you'll probably not want to eat with me. I'm a clean eater, don't like messes and is generally why I avoid much the same foods as you: bone-in wings, corn on the cob, ribs, etc. But, I have generally been a fast eater because I think the act of eating (food prep, sitting down to eat, etc) is simply a waste of time unless in a social environment. Add to it, that Marine boot camp reinforced the idea of "eat now, taste later".

This is why we’re meeting at a malt shoppe
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

This is why we’re meeting at a malt shoppe

Very true! 25 hrs to go, and I'm done with this challenge! I'm telling my trainer that once I weigh-in, for the next 24 hours I'm eating WtF I want and I'm not logging it. :laugh:
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    I eat fast and usually on the run. I'm probably bad company for someone to have a meal with me.
  • Sami488
    Sami488 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    I eat fast and usually on the run. I'm probably bad company for someone to have a meal with me.

You may be my soul mate.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Sami488 wrote: »
    bojack5 wrote: »

You may be my soul mate.

Great! We can have chicken wings, eat like animals and be on our way to do fun things without having to slow down to eat :)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    At McDonald's I always get a Quarter Pounder hold the cheese, a 10 piece McNugget with sweet 'n sour, large fries, two apple pies for 99 cents, a bottle of chocolate milk and a large chocolate shake. I mix the shake and the milk together for more comfortable sucking. I eat the whole thing in 12 minutes and throw the cups, containers and wrappers on the floor of my car. The next day, after I sleep off the hangover, I drive the car 10 yards to the dumpster and throw away the refuse.

Hey you stupid wooer, this is really true.

@newmeadow

well, at least you didn't have that slice of cheese gumming up the works....
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I am married so I am not particularly worried about turning off a date with how I eat. I never worried about it in the past either. My dh said he'd be turned off by someone eating a jar of cheez whiz. I haven't eaten that since I was a teenager and vomited after eating some so I'd probably be turned off too.

I don't eat in restaurants often and don't eat chicken wings often. When I do I usually have sauce on the hands and face. I don't obsessively wipe until I am finished eating. I don't think I lick my fingers... maybe if there are not napkins?
    I would probably order a less messy food particularly if we are going other places and I am dressed up a bit because I would probably drop things on myself no matter how careful I am.
    I like salads sometimes.
    I tend to order the same things at restaurants because I know I like them.
    My dh usually does not like ordering the same food as someone else so our orders usually have to be different even though we do not taste each other's food. It does not bother me if we order the same item. I usually have to choose something before he will decide what he wants.
    I am not a picky eater I don't think.
    I am not a super fast eater.
    I would hate going to a restaurant with 20 expensive courses of tiny artistic smears of food. I am not interested in that kind of food experience.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

My husband is a really fast eater, not so much in public, but when we are eating at home. It doesn't bother me too much - EXCEPT when we are having some decadent/special dessert and he is eating a slice of amazing cheesecake in 3 big bites in a one minute span. I don't know how he even tastes it!?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just go with the flow. Normally Im a fork and knife try not to make a mess kind of gal. But for wings, pizza, or other food that is meant to be messy I just embrace the mess. Grab a stack of napkins and enjoy. Hit the bathroom for handwashing after if needed.

I hate the mess enough that it actually makes me dislike the food itself. I don’t enjoy corn on the cob because I associate it with stuff in my teeth and butter on my face. I love the taste of it, I just hate the method of delivery. Same with ribs and wings. I usually sit there and dissect them with a fork, no wonder I’m a slow eater.

Hate messes, hate extra stuff, how did you survive kids!?

I was never meant to have kids, I’m afraid :joy:

Oh, thought you had two for some reason. Im inventing offspring for you.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    I just go with the flow. Normally Im a fork and knife try not to make a mess kind of gal. But for wings, pizza, or other food that is meant to be messy I just embrace the mess. Grab a stack of napkins and enjoy. Hit the bathroom for handwashing after if needed.

I hate the mess enough that it actually makes me dislike the food itself. I don’t enjoy corn on the cob because I associate it with stuff in my teeth and butter on my face. I love the taste of it, I just hate the method of delivery. Same with ribs and wings. I usually sit there and dissect them with a fork, no wonder I’m a slow eater.

I do. Poor things. :smirk:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

I do. Poor things. :smirk:

Ah, so I am not crazy, yet
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    2VORNT2V wrote: »
    Like a horse at a trough. Not a pig though.

Horses are kinda gross eaters. They chew and some drops out and they pick it back up and it gets all mushy and gross. Then they do this lip flappy thing to try to clean it all up as the end.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    I dislike when people play with their food the whole time they are eating. My coworker eats trail mix every day and between handfulls he just mixes and mixes the bowl. My mom will push food back and forth, back and forth between bites. Drives me nuts.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I dislike when people play with their food the whole time they are eating. My coworker eats trail mix every day and between handfulls he just mixes and mixes the bowl. My mom will push food back and forth, back and forth between bites. Drives me nuts.

This is the kind of thing I never even notice. But if I did, it would drive me nuts too!