Weight loss

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have recently joined this community. I hope if someone can help me with my query. I am 97kg haven't got a very active lifestyle as I am doing sitting job at night so most of the time I remain seated that too in night shift and when I go home, I catch up with my sleep. Although, I am trying to do bit of exercise at work like Ski-Steps and Jumping Jack. I really want to loss weight so can someone tell me that how many calories do I need in a day and from which how much Protein, Fats and Carbs do I need to take? I literally have no idea that what to do in order to lose weight and consuming the right diet. I must appreciate for a piece of advice.

Kind Regards,
Junaid

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat the number of calories MFP gives you for a .5 kg loss per week. Macros for the most part are a personal preference.
  • Jd5597
    Jd5597 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. Yes I did plug my height, weight, gender, activity level etc and it says Calories=1820 from which Carbs 225g, Fat 60g, Protein 90g. What made me little surprised is the amount of carbs is more than protein and fat and I think in general Carbs should be way less than protein. But anyway I will follow this plan. Do you guys really think it can help me in losing weight pls?
  • Jd5597
    Options
    Alright, thanks for the suggestion AnviHead. I am excited and hopeful that I will lose weight if I stick with the plan.
  • Jd5597
    Options
    Wow! 65pound is a lot Malibu, well done! But did you have an active lifestyle? I am learning to count the calories in a meal specially these three main sources Carbs, Protein and fat.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    As everyone said, you’ll do well to follow the mfp calorie allowance. I didn’t pay any attention whatsoever to macros and have lost 75lbs. Good luck!
  • Jd5597
    Options
    Excellent Mazcor536! Looks like this calorie formula is working for ladies very well :). I have just started it yesterday so let's see how it goes for me..
  • Jd5597
    Options
    According to my calories calculation I need to lose 49lbs=22.22kg so hoping for the best :)
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You're new at this, so take a gander at this thread when you have a minute:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

Since you're new, you may have expectations that your weight will drop in a predictable way. It does not. You will save yourself some anguish if you understand how the process works.

After that, review some of the other "must reads" at the top of this message board.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Jd5597 wrote: »
    Wow! 65pound is a lot Malibu, well done! But did you have an active lifestyle? I am learning to count the calories in a meal specially these three main sources Carbs, Protein and fat.

Not in terms of actual exercise, I only walked and lifted weights. But I work retail so I can easily get 15,000+ steps a day just from walking around my store. In terms of macros, I really only made sure I got enough protein (100+ grams).
  • Jd5597
    Options
    Yes I can imagine nothing is overnight, it will definitely take time. The only worse thing is my lifestyle is not active at all. There is no walking activities involve in my job, I work on a desk that too in night shift so mainly I am sitting and finding excuses to walk around deliberately and trying to stretch my body at work as much as I can. I think walk really helps. Additionally, I am trying to be regular with jumping exercises like Ski-Steps and Jumping jack :)
  • Jd5597
    Options
    I found them hard though lol but still pushing myself to do it on regular basis..
  • Jd5597
    Options
    Is anybody getting some positive results to do Ski steps and Jumping jack exercises? If you guys are doing it.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Is anybody getting some positive results to do Ski steps and Jumping jack exercises? If you guys are doing it.

a few minutes of that will add very slightly to your calorie burn - but nothing major (unless you are doing this daily throughout the day?)

although it is not necessary for weight loss, exercise is good for your health/heart. why not add in some dedicated exercise (cardio? weights? whatever you want) a few times per week. many people work desk jobs and still exercise outside of that time.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hey, OP, congrats on getting started. First, you do not need to exercise to lose weight--maintaining a deficit of calories in to calories out is the single most important thing for losing fat. Exercise -- intentional, repeated, and progressively more over time--will help you feel better and might, if you do enough, give you a few more calories to eat (but it can also make you hungrier, if you progress to doing enough). But the health benefits of exercise are very significant and will also make you feel better. Desk jobs are hard on your body in a way, so adding some purposeful walking or strength training after work most days would offset some of the risks of being too sedentary. Good luck in your adventure.

Edited to add: you could look into getting a desk cycle--a device you pedal under your desk--as a step toward adding activity during your work day. But true walking is better. Start with a few minutes after work--is there a nice park on your way home, for example? Don't push it--build up very slowly if you've been mostly sedentary for a long time. Look online for "beginner walking" programs if you want more info.
  • Jd5597
    Options
    I am not a gym goer but I am aiming to do these exercises on daily basis with MFP diet including some yoga exercises.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The macros matter less than you think. Prioritize protein to eat at least as much as MFP says. Think of MFP as a minimum

Eat enough good fats (keeping saturated fats low while increasing fish fat and mono and poly unsaturated). Eat enough to be satiated and add taste where necessary. Total fats CAN be (but don't HAVE to be) much lower than MFP suggests, so think of MFP as a suggested maximum. Don't eat consistently less than ~0.35g per lb of bodyweight at a target weight within the normal range. Think BMI 24.9 for your initial target (so about 0.8g of fat per kg of target weight)

Make sure you get enough fiber on a regular basis... aim for 38+ grams of fiber a day as a male.

Eat the rest of your calories whichever way you want to. Generally if you meet the above the rest will tend to be carbs.

And all of the above is irrelevant.

First of all make sure you're hitting your calorie targets.

THAT is what will determine your weight results.

The macros may help you fine tune your satiety.

Eating wholesome foods may provide you with nutrients and health benefits but will not magically make you lose weight.

Eating "5 a day" (3 * ~85g portions of vegetables and 2 of fruit with measurable benefits still found when increasing to 7 a day, or even 10 a day), won't help you lose weight if not done in the context of reduced calories.

And, other than adding water weight due to sodium, eating 300 Cal of McDonald's fries won't increase your body fat in the context of eating at a level of calories below TDEE.

Your exercise is also not a condition for weight loss.

It helps and makes you healthier. But is not a show stopper.

You may want to look into squats, lunges, push ups near your desk. Pacing when on the phone. Checking your building security at a quick pace. Walking very fast to the bathroom. Walking before or after work or to work or during your breaks. Running even!

Do you ever watch tv? You don't HAVE to! You can go for a walk instead :wink:!

There is a discussion thread somewhere about things you can do to improve NEAT, i.e. increase your activity

Chose a reasonable goal. Are you sure that 1800 is set at 0.5kg a week loss and not at 1kg a week? 1kg a week would be trying to go too fast.

That said: measure carefully and account for everything. By overwhelming preference weigh your food. It is easier to keep track and you will have less surprises if you log before you eat! Don't forget condiments or cooking oil or butter!

Don't be afraid to try new things and don't try to give up things you really like. Remember that you can have anything and everything. Just not all at the same time and not all the time.

And don't wait even a minute to start using a trending weight application. Libra for Android, happy scale for iPhone, trendweight.com (using a free, without a device, Fitbit.com account for data entry or a supported scale of you have one), weightgrapher.com for manual entry (lie and tell it you want to maintain your weight to avoid getting annoying comments)

There are several you-tube and similar resources for body weight exercises if you feel the desire. I hear about things such as fitness blender, Leslie Sansone, yoga with Adrienne, or nerd fitness, convict conditioning if you want to hit things harder!

Remember than on MFP you actually eat more calories to compensate for the extra you burn when more active because your deficit is already included in your goal calories!

Exercise for health and strength (and to eat a bit more :lol:!), not to create larger deficits than you've carefully chosen!

ultimately remember that the only way you're going to succeed is by doing whatever you're doing long term.

So try to make choices that build on each other and make life better, not miserable!
  • markyrocks
    markyrocks Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    According to my calories calculation I need to lose 49lbs=22.22kg so hoping for the best :)

Add me JD... I need to lose 30kg. Need a buddy :)